Drive line rattle?

engineman1031

My 09 jk rubicon keeps making a rattle when I accelerate or get on the gas real hard in second or third gear in 2hi. Now when I go into 4hi and 4lo. It doesn't do it anymore. It sound like a quarter inside a soda can. Thought maybe bad locker in the front but it locks fine and no notice when I drive a little with them on. Anyone else have this? It's driving me crazy. Thinking something with the tension when transfer case is engaged or not.

X2 check your heat shield if it's a tinny sound. The shield above my muffler fell onto the muffler due to the two forward bolts rusted so bad.

Shield was sitting on muffler did take much to rattle.

Two new bolts through rear cubby Ito shield with wide washers fixed it good as new.

Webe

If you have hit any rocks with the gas tank skid plate there is a spot that will eventually rub against the driveline by the output of the tranny and cv joint will hit is when you torque or corner to the left hard.

jaguwar

X2 check your heat shield if it's a tinny sound. The shield above my muffler fell onto the muffler due to the two forward bolts rusted so bad.

Shield was sitting on muffler did take much to rattle.

Two new bolts through rear cubby Ito shield with wide washers fixed it good as new.

DO you know of a place you can replace the heat shield all together?

TomJK

As I've mentioned in other threads, I've had a similar rattling sound for several years. A dealership tracked it down to broken teeth in the rear differential spider gears. They supposedly fixed it, but it returned about a month later. Though I haven't gotten a chance to open the differential myself, yet, I plan to soon, as I still think that might be the issue. If other other things dont seem to be the cause, perhaps yours could be there too. Good luck

Last edited:
Top Bottom