Thoughts on a WJ.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Soliciting for thoughts, experiences and recommendation on the 4.7 WJ. I am thinking about getting one in the future as a second Jeep for the wife so we can do faimly outings. Thanks in advance for the replies.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Lol That seems to be the one of the few things I could find. Replace the axles and move the gas tank are the other suggestions Ive seen.

CanadianJK

I love my WJ, it's a bit rusty, but otherwise I love it. Did a 2.5/2" spring lift and run 32s on it.

It was my first vehicle and has been running great for years. I love the 4.7 but hate the axles and Tcase. Now that I own a JKR I realize how terrible the limited slip is. In future I'll be on the lookout for some XJ drivetrain parts.

If it's a family vehicle it'll be great. My leather all looks damn good for 16 years old.

xj-jake

I love my WJ, it's a bit rusty, but otherwise I love it. Did a 2.5/2" spring lift and run 32s on it.

It was my first vehicle and has been running great for years. I love the 4.7 but hate the axles and Tcase. Now that I own a JKR I realize how terrible the limited slip is. In future I'll be on the lookout for some XJ drivetrain parts.

If it's a family vehicle it'll be great. My leather all looks damn good for 16 years old.

If you don't mind my asking, how are you running 32's on 2"? Did you trim front bumper etc? My wife has a 00 WJ and we have 31's on it and it rubs everywhere.

CanadianJK

Don't mind at all, it's 2.5 in front 2 in the rear. I also just checked the conversion to inches and turns out you burst my bubble, they are not 32s. Lol 31 inch tires and no rub.

Big Wall

I had a 2001 WJ with the 4.7 V8. It had 250000 + miles on the odometer when my wife was hit head on in it. It came thru the accident so well that she decided she wanted a Grand Cherokee. We bought her a WK and I got my JK. It was a great car and was in good shape before it was totaled.

xj-jake

Don't mind at all, it's 2.5 in front 2 in the rear. I also just checked the conversion to inches and turns out you burst my bubble, they are not 32s. Lol 31 inch tires and no rub.

Lol okay I was just wondering. Not trying to call you out or anything I was just curious.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy

Probably a silly question... but Ill ask anyway. Anywhere in particular I should look for rust? Or just in general.

CanadianJK

Pinch seams #1 culprit. I'll be replacing with 2x4 steel to reinforce rotted steel and make sliders :p

Fenders too in my case

xj-jake

Agreed. Pinch seams and floor pans. Above the rear wheels would be another spot but if it looks good there I'd snap one up.

Bacon

The bushing on the axle end of the rear suspension upper wishbone has a tendency to go bad. If you hear a clunk from the rear end during a test drive that is something to look for.

CanadianJK

Bushing gear has been sitting in my garage for at least a month now... It's been clunking forever and I can't be bothered.

Just a slight annoyance IMO.

I love the V8 WJ. Good power from the 4.7 in every gear. Mine just turn 100k miles this last trip and I have never had an engine issue (aside from the typical mopar electrical bugs) Great comfortable jeep for getting out there.

Rccrwlr

We had a 99' Laredo with everything that the limited had but no leather. and loved it. The v8 power was fantastic. Traded it for a mini van. Seemed like a good idea at the time. Now that I look back in not so sure.

Bacon

Bushing gear has been sitting in my garage for at least a month now... It's been clunking forever and I can't be bothered.

Just a slight annoyance IMO.

That's true, but it could be a really good bargaining chip if the seller doesn't know that it's such a common issue.

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
I've owned one, and I replaced it with a WK. The V8 is ok, but honestly both suck for wheeling so if you want something that is just a decent larger 4x4 - get the WK. The hemi WK was nice and fast but still got good gas mileage (with VVT). Our WK was a $50,000 car in 2006, but I bet you could pick up a great condition used one for way cheaper these days with all the bells and whistles.

Top Bottom