4LO clanking when on and off gas 6spd manual

jeramejk

Hello newbie to the forum here and also pretty new to the jeep world. I noticed ever since I got my 2014 jku rubicon with 6 spd it seems to make a lot of noise in 4lo when on and off the gas. Is it normal to have a lot of clanking with the manual trans in 4 lo. I assumed it was the really low gearing of the rubicon in conjunction with the manual trans that was making some drive line noise. My friends 08 sport doesn't make any extra noise in 4 lo. Anyone experience this with their 6spd rubicon?

Thanks
Jerame

JKWrang

Hello newbie to the forum here and also pretty new to the jeep world. I noticed ever since I got my 2014 jku rubicon with 6 spd it seems to make a lot of noise in 4lo when on and off the gas. Is it normal to have a lot of clanking with the manual trans in 4 lo. I assumed it was the really low gearing of the rubicon in conjunction with the manual trans that was making some drive line noise. My friends 08 sport doesn't make any extra noise in 4 lo. Anyone experience this with their 6spd rubicon?

Thanks
Jerame

It shouldn't be clunking or clanking.

Sc741

Sounds normal to me for a manual. Mine does the same. Especially when the drive train is loaded to unloaded.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
What transmission does your friend have in the 08? Is it when you take your foot off of the gas? And finally does it happen with just first or second and third as well?

jeramejk

What transmission does your friend have in the 08? Is it when you take your foot off of the gas? And finally does it happen with just first or second and third as well?

He has the 42RFE auto. Yea it happens when I take my foot on and off the gas or if I roll over an obstacle that changes wheel speed. If it is constantly moving forward or backward it doesn't do it just when wheel speed changes primarily in 4lo. I have noticed when in first in a parking lot when I quickly pushed clutch in I got some clanking too but it was much less pronounces. It's drive line play I assume I'm just curious if that much is normal.

Thanks

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
He has the 42RFE auto. Yea it happens when I take my foot on and off the gas or if I roll over an obstacle that changes wheel speed. If it is constantly moving forward or backward it doesn't do it just when wheel speed changes primarily in 4lo. I have noticed when in first in a parking lot when I quickly pushed clutch in I got some clanking too but it was much less pronounces. It's drive line play I assume I'm just curious if that much is normal.

Thanks

In my experience, it is normal. Both my old 09 jku and current 14 jkur (both manual) do that. I have found that second is the magical gear that still climbs like a billy goat but doesnt buck you around like first.

jeramejk

Thanks for the replies. I figured it was normal its just the people I wheel with don't have same configuration and don't get that noise. Thanks again.

jeramejk

In my experience, it is normal. Both my old 09 jku and current 14 jkur (both manual) do that. I have found that second is the magical gear that still climbs like a billy goat but doesnt buck you around like first.

I agree with the second gear. Now that I have had several trips under my belt I noticed that 2nd still climbs really good. Only time I use first is for extremely difficult stuff. Thanks for reply. I didn't want to end up broken because I ignored a warning.

Top Bottom