Pro Rock 44 Northridge4x4

SFNick

:rock:So, I'm racking my brain trying to get the best deal possible on a PR44. Northridge seems to have the best deals going on but I cant decide if I should get a ARB or a Detroit Locker? If I should get RCV shafts or just chromoly U-joint style shafts? Synergy ball joints or ProSteer? There are so many different deals going on RCVs are 10% off plus another 10% off wich comes to a $300 doll hair discount. Prosteers are marked $100 off original price. But then there are Black Friday axle package deals that are $200 off but only come with a ARB locker. So my questions are Detroit or ARB locker, RCVs or U-joint axles, Synergy or Prosteer?:thinking:

I love my RCV's but with that said, if money is an option, good CrMo axles shafts with full circle clips are the way to go. If not, go RCV's. Prosteer's all the way. They are rebuildable, that should be worth the difference. ARB locker. I have not experience with any other locker besides the E-locker but to keep it simple for me, if its good enough for Mel Wade, it's good enough for me!!:rock:

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
Detroit vs ARB. Is your rig a daily driver or driven on the street a lot? If so I would not install a Detroit in the front axle. I've seen people to do in trail rigs but usually not street rigs. I have an ARB in mine and I have no complaints, it just simply works. Just remember you will need to budget for an air compressor too. ARB makes a cheap one that runs lockers only for around 170 and EVO makes a nice bracket that has three mounting posts so it doesn't vibrate like many others. It is around 50.

Axles. I have RCVs and love how smooth they are and I don't worry about breaking a u joint. That said, they are very expensive and a good set of chromo shafts with full circle clips is plenty. If you are on a budget I would skip on the RCVs. I got them because I upgraded to the 35 spline RCVs and ARB.

Ball joints: this is where I shoot myself every time I think about it. Back when I ordered my PR I had a new set of Synergy ball joints sitting in my garage. I decided to pass on the ProSteers since I already had a set. The Synergy ones are definitely better than stock but they still wear out pretty quickly. I can already start to feel the slop and it's been about 6 months. I'm running 3.5" bs wheels and heavy Toyo 37s so it puts a lot of stress on the ball joints. My next set will be ProSteers and I wish I had done it the first time. You figure at 100 off you are in them for about just over 2 sets of Synergy joints. With the pain in the ass it is to change them well worth it. If you are on a budget and have to pick between the ProSteers and say RCVs, get the ProSteers in my opinion. You could always upgrade axles later down road, that is much easier than changing ball joints every year!

It's all about budget and what's best parts to get on that budget. Hell if we all had unlimited budgets we would all probably be running PR60s up front and 80s in the rear but that mortgage bill keeps coming every month :)

Just my 2c, take it or leave it.

SFNick

Thanks for the replys guys.....I do drive it on the road alot but was hoping to save by not getting the ARB.My max budget is 5K. with prosteers & RCVs I'm sitting right at $4800. I live in Arkansas so we dont see much snow & there hasn't been many situations to where I would have to engage my 4wd on the highway. But I do play in the rocks frequently. Would the ARB locker give me an advantage in the rocks? Also, it looks like I dont have a choice when it comes to RCV or Chromoly Northridge only carries RCV for the PR44.

Both of the lockers are selectable with that being which do you prefer? ARB is an air actuated locker and Eaton Detroit Locker is electrical. Both will have their advantages and dis-advantages. If you look at what some of the Jeeps on the West Coast are running, the majority are running ARB, why I cannot answer but i think because they are a proven to work. If you go to YouTube and search ARB vs Eaton you will get a bunch of video's comparing both. For me when I finally upgrade to a PR44 or 60 up front and PR 60 for the rear they will be ARB because of the reputation of ARB and their extensive R&D.

R/
Will

Disclaimer: I am not a paid spokesman for ARB.

deadguy

I don't think that the discounts for the individual parts apply to the package deal pr44. As far as I see you will get a free compressor with the purchase of a built axle. If I'm wrong let me know because I'm in the same boat as you and I don't want a bad deal to pass me by.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
Sorry I thought he was talking about the Detroit locker not the Eaton eLocker. Northridge offers both for PR44. People used to run ARB vs Eaton because the Eatons weren't as strong. Eaton updated the design a year or so ago (went from 2 pinion to 4 pinion design) and the two are supposed to be comparable now.

Sent from my SM-G900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

SFNick

I don't think that the discounts for the individual parts apply to the package deal pr44. As far as I see you will get a free compressor with the purchase of a built axle. If I'm wrong let me know because I'm in the same boat as you and I don't want a bad deal to pass me by.

I've been experimenting with different things to see what's best. What you need to do if you don't want the ARB is go to the non Black Friday PR44 unlimited package & build it but leave off axles & ball joints. Then add the Black Friday deal ball joints(either Prosteer 100$ off Synergy 15% off) & RCVs 10% & the Shark tank an additional 10% off. If you want a ARB the 4700$ Black Friday package is the way to go then add a compressor kit. It will be around 5075$ but you get the compressor mounting bracket & tire air house gauge & kit.

SFNick

Sorry I thought he was talking about the Detroit locker not the Eaton eLocker. Northridge offers both for PR44. People used to run ARB vs Eaton because the Eatons weren't as strong. Eaton updated the design a year or so ago (went from 2 pinion to 4 pinion design) and the two are supposed to be comparable now.

No worries I was talking about the Detroit locker.

Last edited:
You get $200 off right now if you do the Pro rock with Pro steer ball joints. And you get a free mini compressor if you go with the ARB. Plus they are in stock and can ship usually with in 72 hours.

David

SFNick

You get $200 off right now if you do the Pro rock with Pro steer ball joints. And you get a free mini compressor if you go with the ARB. Plus they are in stock and can ship usually with in 72 hours.

David

Hey Dave, Could u get the pro Rock with Prosteer balls Joints with the $200 off & get a R&P with Detroit locker & Yoke installed? I guess my best bet would be to call you guys. Either way I'm ordering one! Thanks for the great deals!

jeeeep

Hooked
my 2 cents on the Detroit locker, IMO I'd go with the ARB because when it's off it's off. The Detroit locker is on 100% of the time and auto-engages off during turns and such, it's been some time since I've owned one but the one I had got pretty annoying and noisy as a daily driver - just something to consider.

I wonder why the E-locker isn't an option, with the redesign it's just as strong as the ARB based on what I've read....

SFNick

my 2 cents on the Detroit locker, IMO I'd go with the ARB because when it's off it's off. The Detroit locker is on 100% of the time and auto-engages off during turns and such, it's been some time since I've owned one but the one I had got pretty annoying and noisy as a daily driver - just something to consider.

I wonder why the E-locker isn't an option, with the redesign it's just as strong as the ARB based on what I've read....

Okay so I was thinking if the transfer case wasn't engaged then it wouldn't matter if I had a front Detroit locker. Will I still have the annoying pop in 2wd?

jeeeep

Hooked
yes to both, the Detroit is always locked except when turning whether you're transfer case is engaged or not. The more miles I put on it, seems like the more noise it made or I just got to overly aware of it

I have a PR44 with the synergy track bar and it clears. I also have ram assist and had to get the Synergy Low Misalignment Tie Rod End Dust Boot because the track bar had too much flop causing the ram to hang under certain conditions. You will need to adjust your steering bump properly so your SS doesn't hit the diff cover.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
Are you asking about the track bar or the bracket? If you have the bolt on bracket, it won't just bolt onto PR44. Axle Tube diameter is different and the holes in the PR44 trackbar bracket are different than the stock one. If you are ordering your PR44, you can have them put the Synergy weld on bracket on for you (for a fee, $200ish I think). Or EVO makes a bolt on one specifically for the PR44 if you want bolt on.

jeeeep

Hooked
Are you asking about the track bar or the bracket? If you have the bolt on bracket, it won't just bolt onto PR44. Axle Tube diameter is different and the holes in the PR44 trackbar bracket are different than the stock one. If you are ordering your PR44, you can have them put the Synergy weld on bracket on for you (for a fee, $200ish I think). Or EVO makes a bolt on one specifically for the PR44 if you want bolt on.

:doh: my bad, the question was about the bracket I got focused on the tie rod. This ^^ is correct

SFNick

Well that's kinda crappy. Buy a new axle & have to cute the track bar off and purchase a new one. Wonder why Dynatrac doesn't do this to begin with.im sure there aren't many non lifted jeeps running ProRocks. They are making me bust my 5k budget here! Lol

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
Northridge can install it as part of the deal if you are looking at getting from them. Trust me I feel you pain. The day mine arrived I had to hack up my rear PR60 track bar bracket and control arm brackets to install my rock stars and new tb bracket.

That's correct we can install/ weld every bracket you need. Have all kinds of options to make sure it works with your setup . Tomorrow is the day to get the best deal of the year on a pro rock .

Top Bottom