Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pro Rock 44 Northridge4x4

Pro Rock 44 Northridge4x4

So, I'm racking my brain trying to get the best deal possible on a PR44. Northridge seems to have the best deals going on but I cant decide if I should get a ARB or a Detroit Locker? If I should get RCV shafts or just chromoly U-joint style shafts? Synergy ball joints or ProSteer? There are so many different deals going on RCVs are 10% off plus another 10% off wich comes to a $300 doll hair discount. Prosteers are marked $100 off original price. But then there are Black Friday axle package deals that are $200 off but only come with a ARB locker. So my questions are Detroit or ARB locker, RCVs or U-joint axles, Synergy or Prosteer?

-
    I love my RCV's but with that said, if money is an option, good CrMo axles shafts with full circle clips are the way to go. If not, go RCV's. Prosteer's all the way. They are rebuildable, that should be worth the difference. ARB locker. I have not experience with any other locker besides the E-locker but to keep it simple for me, if its good enough for Mel Wade, it's good enough for me!!

Nothing but a Thing 13_gecko_rubi's Avatar
    Detroit vs ARB. Is your rig a daily driver or driven on the street a lot? If so I would not install a Detroit in the front axle. I've seen people to do in trail rigs but usually not street rigs. I have an ARB in mine and I have no complaints, it just simply works. Just remember you will need to budget for an air compressor too. ARB makes a cheap one that runs lockers only for around 170 and EVO makes a nice bracket that has three mounting posts so it doesn't vibrate like many others. It is around 50.

Axles. I have RCVs and love how smooth they are and I don't worry about breaking a u joint. That said, they are very expensive and a good set of chromo shafts with full circle clips is plenty. If you are on a budget I would skip on the RCVs. I got them because I upgraded to the 35 spline RCVs and ARB.

Ball joints: this is where I shoot myself every time I think about it. Back when I ordered my PR I had a new set of Synergy ball joints sitting in my garage. I decided to pass on the ProSteers since I already had a set. The Synergy ones are definitely better than stock but they still wear out pretty quickly. I can already start to feel the slop and it's been about 6 months. I'm running 3.5" bs wheels and heavy Toyo 37s so it puts a lot of stress on the ball joints. My next set will be ProSteers and I wish I had done it the first time. You figure at 100 off you are in them for about just over 2 sets of Synergy joints. With the pain in the ass it is to change them well worth it. If you are on a budget and have to pick between the ProSteers and say RCVs, get the ProSteers in my opinion. You could always upgrade axles later down road, that is much easier than changing ball joints every year!

It's all about budget and what's best parts to get on that budget. Hell if we all had unlimited budgets we would all probably be running PR60s up front and 80s in the rear but that mortgage bill keeps coming every month

Just my 2c, take it or leave it.

Thanks for the replys guys.....I do drive it on the road alot but was hoping to save by not getting the ARB.My max budget is 5K. with prosteers & RCVs I'm sitting right at $4800. I live in Arkansas so we dont see much snow & there hasn't been many situations to where I would have to engage my 4wd on the highway. But I do play in the rocks frequently. Would the ARB locker give me an advantage in the rocks? Also, it looks like I dont have a choice when it comes to RCV or Chromoly Northridge only carries RCV for the PR44.

-
    Both of the lockers are selectable with that being which do you prefer? ARB is an air actuated locker and Eaton Detroit Locker is electrical. Both will have their advantages and dis-advantages. If you look at what some of the Jeeps on the West Coast are running, the majority are running ARB, why I cannot answer but i think because they are a proven to work. If you go to YouTube and search ARB vs Eaton you will get a bunch of video's comparing both. For me when I finally upgrade to a PR44 or 60 up front and PR 60 for the rear they will be ARB because of the reputation of ARB and their extensive R&D.

R/
    Will

Disclaimer: I am not a paid spokesman for ARB.

I don't think that the discounts for the individual parts apply to the package deal pr44. As far as I see you will get a free compressor with the purchase of a built axle. If I'm wrong let me know because I'm in the same boat as you and I don't want a bad deal to pass me by.

Nothing but a Thing 13_gecko_rubi's Avatar
    Sorry I thought he was talking about the Detroit locker not the Eaton eLocker. Northridge offers both for PR44. People used to run ARB vs Eaton because the Eatons weren't as strong. Eaton updated the design a year or so ago (went from 2 pinion to 4 pinion design) and the two are supposed to be comparable now.

Sent from my SM-G900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    I don't think that the discounts for the individual parts apply to the package deal pr44. As far as I see you will get a free compressor with the purchase of a built axle. If I'm wrong let me know because I'm in the same boat as you and I don't want a bad deal to pass me by.

I've been experimenting with different things to see what's best. What you need to do if you don't want the ARB is go to the non Black Friday PR44 unlimited package & build it but leave off axles & ball joints. Then add the Black Friday deal ball joints(either Prosteer 100$ off Synergy 15% off) & RCVs 10% & the Shark tank an additional 10% off. If you want a ARB the 4700$ Black Friday package is the way to go then add a compressor kit. It will be around 5075$ but you get the compressor mounting bracket & tire air house gauge & kit.
    MADE IN AMERICA

Pro Rock 44 Northridge4x4

Quote Originally Posted by 13_gecko_rubi View Post
    Sorry I thought he was talking about the Detroit locker not the Eaton eLocker. Northridge offers both for PR44. People used to run ARB vs Eaton because the Eatons weren't as strong. Eaton updated the design a year or so ago (went from 2 pinion to 4 pinion design) and the two are supposed to be comparable now.

Sent from my SM-G900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

No worries I was talking about the Detroit locker.
    Last edited by SFNick; 11-29-2014 at 06:46 PM.
    MADE IN AMERICA

-
    You get $200 off right now if you do the Pro rock with Pro steer ball joints. And you get a free mini compressor if you go with the ARB. Plus they are in stock and can ship usually with in 72 hours.

David

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast