Manual transmission reliability ?

Big Max

I am interested to know what people think about their manual transmission and if you regret it. I had a 1998 TJ manual and loved it. I am leaning towards a manual in my JK. It is not a problem for me to drive in traffic or anywhere else with a manual . I just want to get some input on the reliability and whether or not to go manual or automatic

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
The clutch in the newer keeps makes a "normal" (not really normal but jeep says it is) noise. Other then that no issues for me or others I know with manuals.

Sessoms14X

I've went with manual in both of my jks. I personally just love driving one and have no regrets of going with it. I'm not in city traffic a lot so I don't really have to deal with that and when I go off road I just think a manual is more fun, but that's just my opinion.

Big Max

A noise in the clutch ? I agree I love driving a manual to me that makes it a jeep . I live in the mountains and don't get into traffic very often. if i dont want to drive the jeep I have a ford f250 auto v10

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
From what I've read on a number of forums, it seems the throwout bearing is problematic and what Overlander said...some weird noise that if you bring to the dealer they report it as "normal." If getting a new one, I'd get the excellent tried and true 5 speed auto used for well over a decade, but that's just me.

Big Max

The noise is a little concerning but it doesn't sound like a huge problem. I agree about the autos I have heard a lot of good things about them. I like the fun factor in the manuals but at the end of the day I want the better of the 2 transmission.

rescue7

I have had the manual in the JK multiple times; I have never had a problem. Both my brothers have JK's with manuals, and they have been completely fine. I just ordered a new JKUR, and I got the manual because I love driving them. My wife has a 2012 JKU with the auto, and it is great, also. I just prefer manual transmissions.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
It's noisy, but no different than any other manual I've owned as far as operation. As the service department says at my local dealer, "it's a truck transmission". Whatever that means.

4x4

My brother has a tj with an nsg370 ( same as the jk) with 170,000 miles - no problems - hard use vehicle.

I have a newer jk with a Manual and haven't had any problems.

I also don't trust a transmission for off-road use that requires a cooler/ radiator. I've seen too many seize - Not a lot but a handful.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
The noise is a little concerning but it doesn't sound like a huge problem. I agree about the autos I have heard a lot of good things about them. I like the fun factor in the manuals but at the end of the day I want the better of the 2 transmission.

Clicking noise when you engage the clutch. I had a video on my old phone. If I remember tonight or tomorrow I'll put up a new video.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Clicking noise when you engage the clutch. I had a video on my old phone. If I remember tonight or tomorrow I'll put up a new video.

This^^ it is kind of a rattle/knock in mine, with the pedal out in neutral. I'm on my second transmission, first was replaced at 8,000 miles because of this noise, new transmission started making the noise after 1,000 miles or so. Now I just live with it. Little over 40,000 on my JK right now, no problems otherwise.

Shadow's_Jeep

Caught the Bug

Oh that's the noise everyone talk's about. I've heard that noise sometime's, other than that have had no problem's with my manual.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
It's noisy, but no different than any other manual I've owned as far as operation. As the service department says at my local dealer, "it's a truck transmission". Whatever that means.

Sloppy, clunky, noisy, and not precise. Most guys when they say they "love manuals" are usually used to the bolt action rifle feel of sports car manuals. I am one of them...love manuals, but only in sports cars.

NAUJK

I love manuals in everything I drive. I prefer manuals over autos. I feel more like I'm actually driving the car rather than just sitting and moving.... Yeah it makes noise and pops out of first great even after jeep says they fixed. But I wouldn't give up my manual.

Big Max

Thank you all for the information. I will be driving them both when I finally pulled the trigger. I still think I will go with the manual and save the money for something else.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Thank you all for the information. I will be driving them both when I finally pulled the trigger. I still think I will go with the manual and save the money for something else.

Just a note...the offset cost of an automatic is the no maintenance. Manuals cost less up front, but they require clutch changes, etc, which remove any real savings, so if it's a financial issue, the manual may look cheaper up front, but not in the long run. Furthermore, the manual allows water and mud to get inside of itself, so if you have an issue, the dealer will certainly blame ANY problem with the transmission on offroading.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Just a note...the offset cost of an automatic is the no maintenance. Manuals cost less up front, but they require clutch changes, etc, which remove any real savings, so if it's a financial issue, the manual may look cheaper up front, but not in the long run. Furthermore, the manual allows water and mud to get inside of itself, so if you have an issue, the dealer will certainly blame ANY problem with the transmission on offroading.

How often do you change your clutch to make that even matter? I wouldn't consider a clutch in 5 or more years a deciding factor.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
How often do you change your clutch to make that even matter? I wouldn't consider a clutch in 5 or more years a deciding factor.

Honestly....depends on the quality/material of the clutch and the driver. I've seen people burn through a clutch in 30k. Offroading often would require minor clutch riding (if not in 4LO) which can shorten its life. However, mostly, it's simply due to the fact that dealers have 1001 excuses to blame you if something goes wrong with the transmission (mis-shifts, clutch riding, foot on clutch while driving, dirt, water ingestion, etc) and as we said earlier, the JK manual has a few known issues that would suck if you got the teraflex style "it's your fault" excuse. I am not saying don't get the manual, he said he wants to save money and get manual, which is why I said that it doesn't actually save all that much, not to mention the potential dealer headaches. Furthermore, the Mercedes developed A580 auto in the JK is an incredibly strong transmission (way overkill for a JK) and has proven to be dead reliable since the days of the bug eyed E55 Benz. Again, just my .02

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Honestly....depends on the quality/material of the clutch and the driver. I've seen people burn through a clutch in 30k. Offroading often would require minor clutch riding (if not in 4LO) which can shorten its life. However, mostly, it's simply due to the fact that dealers have 1001 excuses to blame you if something goes wrong with the transmission (mis-shifts, clutch riding, foot on clutch while driving, dirt, water ingestion, etc) and as we said earlier, the JK manual has a few known issues that would suck if you got the teraflex style "it's your fault" excuse. I am not saying don't get the manual, he said he wants to save money and get manual, which is why I said that it doesn't actually save all that much, not to mention the potential dealer headaches. Furthermore, the Mercedes developed A580 auto in the JK is an incredibly strong transmission (way overkill for a JK) and has proven to be dead reliable since the days of the bug eyed E55 Benz. Again, just my .02

If you ride the clutch while wheeling you shouldn't own a manual.

Top Bottom