How to do gears?

Wlgarvey882

So, i am wanting to re-gear my jeep on my own. I know i know, re-gearing isn't something you should just wing it and try and tackle it. I'm pretty capable though, just need to know the do's and don'ts, what tools i will need besides the standard mechanics tool set. How would i set my back-lashing, ect.. ect... im sure there is a post on here somewhere with it. Any ideas, or advice?

2006 LJ

If it were me I would pay someone to do it simply because the amount of time it would take me. Have you checked YouTube?

R/
Will

Wlgarvey882

Honestly haven't even thought of that. I have a pretty bangin' garage to work out of. Its indoors, has a 1 ton capacity GM car lift. Air pressure for days, and did i mention heating and air for those hot/cold days? I feel like i am meticulous enough to perform it right. Although paying my local off-road shop to do it sounds like a great plan. i had gotten a quote at one point for something like 3-350 per axle, is that a good price? sorry for the sporadic thoughts. typed it as it came to my mind.

Honestly haven't even thought of that. I have a pretty bangin' garage to work out of. Its indoors, has a 1 ton capacity GM car lift. Air pressure for days, and did i mention heating and air for those hot/cold days? I feel like i am meticulous enough to perform it right. Although paying my local off-road shop to do it sounds like a great plan. i had gotten a quote at one point for something like 3-350 per axle, is that a good price? sorry for the sporadic thoughts. typed it as it came to my mind.

If the quote includes gears they yes that is a smoking deal? If that is for just labor than I think it is still a good deal.

For me I look at two things. 1. How long is going to take me? What can I do in the time period while the Jeep is being worked on? 2. What am I going to do if I screw this up? I would end up paying someone to do it anyway. Having a "Pretty Bangin' garage" is great for some of the more basic modifications, but gears are something I prefer to leave it to the professionals. Again that is my opinion.

R/
Will

Wlgarvey882

If the quote includes gears they yes that is a smoking deal? If that is for just labor than I think it is still a good deal.

For me I look at two things. 1. How long is going to take me? What can I do in the time period while the Jeep is being worked on? 2. What am I going to do if I screw this up? I would end up paying someone to do it anyway. Having a "Pretty Bangin' garage" is great for some of the more basic modifications, but gears are something I prefer to leave it to the professionals. Again that is my opinion.

R/
Will

I wish that was including parts....Thanks for the advice. Just throwing some ideas around :)

I wish that was including parts....Thanks for the advice. Just throwing some ideas around :)

I just checked Off Road Evolution's web page and they are advertising complete gear swap for $999.99 for both axles. If I was closer it would be done. Check a local shop and see what they can do. Good Luck.

R/
Will

Wlgarvey882

I just checked Off Road Evolution's web page and they are advertising complete gear swap for $999.99 for both axles. If I was closer it would be done. Check a local shop and see what they can do. Good Luck.

R/
Will

oh wow, that's not a bad price at all....wish i was on the west coast :/

thanks again for the advice!

Speeddmn

I've done enough gear swaps in mustangs (8.8 axle's) to feel I can do my own. I just didnt have the tools, a good friend had them all. It's lots of math and specialty tools. Search the web, there are plenty of how-to's. Just take your time and it wont be to bad. Remember even the "pro's" had to start with the first set at once. Also on a small side note, if you have the time it was totally worth it to just pull the entire assembly (axle) out and do it on a work bench.

basic hand tools
lube
gears, seals, bearings
micrometer
feeler gauges
torque wrenches
bench press
good math skill set!
dial indicator (magentic base, long rod that moves in .001's, forget the name)
beer (post math)

John82601

$999 for both axles is definitely a deal. I just had mine done and the labor side of it was $700. I do all of my own mechanical incl rebuilding engines/trans/transfer cast but I haven't built up the courage to set up gears yet.

Top Bottom