Vibration at high speed and ticking sounds at low speeds 04 rubicon

BlackBandit

Hello everyone I have a question/problem with my jeep wrangler rubicon 2004 . I was mudding and off roading with my jeep the otherday, I noticed quite the vibration. I since washed my jeep off and polished to get all the mud out. But the vibration remains it only starts vibrating at 80km or more and gets worse the faster I go and a ticking sound as I slow down to about 30km or under.
I thought it was u-joints so I put new u-joints on but that didnt fix it. I also noticed when I put my jeep into 4 wheel drive the ticking stops and the vibration is not nearly as bad... im stumped, any ideas

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well, when it comes to mudding, there are two things that can cause vibrations with the first and most common being that mud in the wheels will throw off your balance. Being that you say you washed your Jeep thoroughly, this probably isn't your problem. Second, in the mud, wheel weights can catch on rocks or tree roots and things like that and get pulled off. This again will throw off your balance and cause a vibration. With all things being equal, getting your tires balanced is where I would start.

As far as your ticking sound goes, are you sure it's drive train related? Is it a fast tick tick tick? Does it change in speed as you drive faster or slower?

MTG

Caught the Bug
Hello everyone I have a question/problem with my jeep wrangler rubicon 2004 . I was mudding and off roading with my jeep the otherday, I noticed quite the vibration. I since washed my jeep off and polished to get all the mud out. But the vibration remains it only starts vibrating at 80km or more and gets worse the faster I go and a ticking sound as I slow down to about 30km or under.
I thought it was u-joints so I put new u-joints on but that didnt fix it. I also noticed when I put my jeep into 4 wheel drive the ticking stops and the vibration is not nearly as bad... im stumped, any ideas

:thinking:

I'm probably reading this wrong, but you say the vibration starts at 80 km/h (50 mph for us Americans) but isn't as nearly as bad when you put it in 4wd. Are you really driving in 4wd at 50+ mph?

Also did you replace the axle u-joints or DS u-joints?

BlackBandit

In fact I have come to the conclusion that it is likely in my drive train I did some reasurch and found that the vibration is way too fast to be in the wheels. And yes I drove it in 4 wheel high over 80/50mph. probably aint the best thing for it, but I had to try it to see if it made a difference.

BlackBandit

You are probably right about checking the Drive shaft, the sounds dont seem to be coming from there. but its also hard to tell so ill start taking that apart to look at it.

BlackBandit

Turns out the vibe was drives shaft so I replaced all the u-joints and I also had a wheel berrings that where falling off. Upgraded with moog :p so it will never break agian.

Top Bottom