Clutch replacement

junior3382

Maybe this is covered already, I'm not sure, as I could not find anything. However, I have a 2012 JKU I need a new clutch for. Seems there is not a lot of aftermarket support for this in this area. I have found a Chrysler direct fit and a dual friction kit from Centerforce. Are there any other options? Is centerforce a decent upgrade?

Any advice or help would be appreciated folks. Thanks. ;-)

Welcome to the WAYALIFE. From what I have read on this forum is that the OEM clutch is just as good as any aftermarket one. wayoflife ran an OEM clutch in Moby up until they did the LS swap. When it comes time to replace my clutch it will be with an OEM one.

R/
Will

Welcome to the WAYALIFE. From what I have read on this forum is that the OEM clutch is just as good as any aftermarket one. wayoflife ran an OEM clutch in Moby up until they did the LS swap. When it comes time to replace my clutch it will be with an OEM one.

R/
Will

Only because you drive like Betsy Ross, lmao

jeeeep

Hooked
just called my buddy who's clutch we replaced last summer with an upgrade, he got his clutch kit from AMS automotive - told me it was called a series upgrade kit and it included everything required to replace a clutch.

from the other post, ridg3runner has had issues and too bad CF didn't try to provide better customer support other than send it back and we'll let you know...

sassmouth

I had my clutch replaced during the summer of 2013 with a Spec Stage 3+. I've been happy with it thus far.

tonywjk

welcome to wayalife

I have a question for you...i have an 11 sport w/manual trans, why do you need a clutch?? Just asking because mine is fine @42k miles, just wondering???

rosst192

I had my clutch replaced during the summer of 2013 with a Spec Stage 3+. I've been happy with it thus far.

My question is what benefits do you gain from staging up the clutch. When I had my WRX I had to do a stage 2 clutch because the oem one couldn't handle the power but I don't see that being an issue with a jeep.

Brankz

I sell you one and I hook you up with a super discount, you can buy the pice of shit power torque from oreilys lol

FrankenJeeper

I have a question for you...i have an 11 sport w/manual trans, why do you need a clutch?? Just asking because mine is fine @42k miles, just wondering???

I'm at 134k miles with the same clutch that was in my jeep when I bought it at 38k miles.
The previous owner may have replaced it, but far as I know it's factory.

Rubizon

I'm at 134k miles with the same clutch that was in my jeep when I bought it at 38k miles.
The previous owner may have replaced it, but far as I know it's factory.

Ya, I bought mine used with 38k miles and the clutch was completely shot when I got it.

jknikos

I would stick with the oem clutch. I have 90k miles and i have replaced my clutch once with oem. I think my second set isnt in a good shape either but i can get some more miles out of it. How many miles is an oem clutch supposed to last? :thinking:

Last edited:

Rccrwlr

Maybe this is covered already, I'm not sure, as I could not find anything. However, I have a 2012 JKU I need a new clutch for. Seems there is not a lot of aftermarket support for this in this area. I have found a Chrysler direct fit and a dual friction kit from Centerforce. Are there any other options? Is centerforce a decent upgrade?

Any advice or help would be appreciated folks. Thanks. ;-)

You say your in need of a new clutch. What is wrong with the clutch you have now?

sassmouth

Let's just say I was very green to offroading and completely disintegrated it because I was in 4HI while doing some mudding and shifting way too often. The organic clutch plate was basically a powdered mess. It was an expensive lesson.

sassmouth

My question is what benefits do you gain from staging up the clutch. When I had my WRX I had to do a stage 2 clutch because the oem one couldn't handle the power but I don't see that being an issue with a jeep.

The OEM clutch is organic while the stage 3+ is carbon-semi-metallic and is more tolerable to water and mud. I was looking to improve on my situation.

junior3382

For those that run manuals, and newer then 2012, you know there is a large open gap between the 3.6 and the transmission. Chrysler says it's for venting the clutch or allowing moisture and water to run out. Well, while digging into a hole, I filled the bell housing up with mud and a ton of crap through this "gap". I blew out my slave cylinder which puked all my brake fluid all over my already muddy clutch. I have replaced the slave cylinder and I used the cleaners in the shop to clean the clutch the best I could. It's actually all but back to normal. And it does not slip 98% of the time.... just every once in a while under a hard accel. So I may be good for a while. But in my searching before all this was clear to me, I just could find another one aftermarket. And I have been a jeeper for years, and a firm believer that you do not replace OEM with OEM. You upgrade. Lol. Hence why I was looking for an upgrade. If that makes sense. I will probably still need one,

But like I said, it's holding up for now.... just need to stay out of the deep holes for a while and hope someone makes a decent, affordable replacement clutch for it soon! Lmao

Attachments

• 1419134415713.jpg
    1419134415713.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 63
  • 1419134436874.jpg
    1419134436874.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 65
  • 1419134449199.jpg
    1419134449199.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 62
  • 1419134459302.jpg
    1419134459302.jpg