Advice Needed!

Almost JKU-ing

Hey everyone!

As my username states, I'm so close to having my first JKU! Just this last Sunday, I had everything in place to buy a white 2015 JKUR at my local dealer, all I had to do was sign. I decided to go home and sleep on it, and I think I'm going to buy a used one to save some cash. While I would have loved to have the brand new Rubi, I really want to have some cash to make her look real nice :shock:. If I buy the brand new one, I won't have money to put in to it for a while, and don't really want to sport the stock look.

I was originally wanting to buy a stock one, to avoid getting one that someone beat up and getting to do everything the way I want, until I saw this one. Here are the details...

"WE JUST GOT IN THIS VERY COOL 2007 JEEP WRANGLER UNLIMITED RUBICON. IT HAS THE 3.8L WITH AUTOMATIC TRANS, CLEAN TITLE, 59K MILES, ELECTRONIC LOKERS, SWAY BAR DISCONNECTS, CUSTOM BUMPERS AND TOW PACKAGE, CUSTOM INTERIOR ROLL CAGE, CUSTOM LIGHTING, HILIFT JACK, 4" LIFT ON 35S AND 17S, SLANT BACK SOFT TOP, JL AUDIO STEREO SYSTEM, ROCK SLIDERS AND REAR CORNER ARMOR. THIS IS A COOL JEEP. THIS IS A SWEET TRUCK. CALL TODAY TO MAKE AN APPOINTMENT."

I test drove the vehicle, it drove smooth, everything seemed to be in order, except for one problem. When I got back to the dealer I noticed some smoke coming out of the grill. I pointed it out, and they said to go drive it around some more and see if it kept up, and it did. This was a couple of weeks ago, I contacted them today and they said that it was leaking from the trans pan but that it was all fixed.

I would really like to have a 2012 or newer for that new engine and extra power/fuel economy, but this Jeep has a lot of the things that I want already on it and would save me a lot of money. It is lifted on a Pro Comp/Sky Jacker kit, which I'm not happy about, but at least I won't be at stock height while I'm saving up for a RK or Evo kit! Coming from experienced Jeepers, What do you guys think?!

Thank you in advance for any help!

View attachment 113507 View attachment 113508 View attachment 113509 View attachment 113511

Attachments

• jeep 5.jpg
    jeep 5.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 278
  • JEEP 2.jpg
    JEEP 2.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 278
  • JEEP.jpg
    JEEP.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 278
  • JEEP 3.jpg
    JEEP 3.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 280
Last edited:
First and most importantly Welcome to the Wayalife. Usually someone's first post is a short just to say hey and where they are from. So Welcome.

After reading your novel I would give you just one piece of advice, do not settle for less than what you want. Sure the 2007 has a lift but it is not what you want. I have a Sport and if I had to do all over again I would wait for a Rubicon just for the transfer case and stock D44.

Good luck,

Will

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Welcome to Wayalife!

It looks like a nice jeep and it would svae you some cash because it is lifted and stuff already. for the right price it could save you some cash. To echo Canvas tho i wouldnt settle. yes its a Rubi but your missing out on the newer motor which is great and sounds like something you really want. i would personally keep looking for a used stock 12+ rubi that way you get everything you want right from the start and can save for your lift and stuff. :twocents:

Welcome to WAL.

I don't see an overwheling amount of parts on the used one to warrant the loss of the 3.6L and new car smell. I'm with them ^^^ go for what you really want.

jmatta33

same as what the others have said, dont settle. the engine in the '12 and up models is just way stronger. If you arent planning to do any hard wheeling or rock crawling, a rubi will be a great buy. If you want to heavily mod your jeep (axles, coilovers, etc) then going with a sport model can save you a lot of money up front. I purchased a 2012 JKU Sport with a salvage title (most of the repairs were completed) for over 12k under blue book. Sounds like this will be your daily driver so that may not be an option, but if not, fixing up a JK with a little body damage can save tons of money.

SilverBack

I will say that I am not a fan of buying what someone else has decided to relieve themselves for whatever reason. I have been taken to the shed a couple of times by strangers and acquaintances. I prefer to break my own shit and live with it than be caught with someone else's broken shit that was band aided. So... I agree with those above that said buy what you want and don't settle. I will also add this, If you can afford the new RUBI, buy it enjoy it and drive out the warranty knowing your family will be safe in it then MOD the crap out of it the way you want it not the way someone else wanted it. Just my:twocents:

pedroj14

Same idea as other people. If you have the money to buy new, do so and save yourself some trouble. Perhaps you want a rubicon but do not need a rubicon, something else to think about.

Some of the issues on used cars do not show up until you drive them for a little while. I owned a used 2009 JK sport, and I had issues with it after driving it for some time. On the other hand, you could be missing the opportunity of a lifetime with a used JK, but it is a bit of a gamble.

As others have mentioned, I do not see a whole lot of modifications on the used rubicon in the pictures. BTW, is that a winch bumper?

Anyways, whatever you decide to do, good luck and welcome to wayalife.

JKWrang

I bought an 09 cobalt that has to date never given me issues. Ever. Used. And I also have a 14 JKU thats treated me really well, no issues. My used 08 JK did give me some issues but they were more quirks of an RHD than anything (intermittent no start which was a problem with the range finder. Not uncommon in early RHDs.)

Point being if you know what youre looking at it could be a great deal on a great JKUR.

However.

Youre already unhappy with the lift and youd have to start that over. And theres no shame im the stock game. Idk if youve ever wheeled in a JK before but if you haven't you might just be surprised to see what your stock 15 can do especially with lockers. If you have, well welcome back to the club. At the end of the day its your money, your Jeep-candidate and you need to be comfortable with everything you invest in. So if you arent, move on and wait for the right options.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Hey everyone!

As my username states, I'm so close to having my first JKU! Just this last Sunday, I had everything in place to buy a white 2015 JKUR at my local dealer, all I had to do was sign. I decided to go home and sleep on it, and I think I'm going to buy a used one to save some cash. While I would have loved to have the brand new Rubi, I really want to have some cash to make her look real nice :shock:. If I buy the brand new one, I won't have money to put in to it for a while, and don't really want to sport the stock look.

I was originally wanting to buy a stock one, to avoid getting one that someone beat up and getting to do everything the way I want, until I saw this one. Here are the details...

"WE JUST GOT IN THIS VERY COOL 2007 JEEP WRANGLER UNLIMITED RUBICON. IT HAS THE 3.8L WITH AUTOMATIC TRANS, CLEAN TITLE, 59K MILES, ELECTRONIC LOKERS, SWAY BAR DISCONNECTS, CUSTOM BUMPERS AND TOW PACKAGE, CUSTOM INTERIOR ROLL CAGE, CUSTOM LIGHTING, HILIFT JACK, 4" LIFT ON 35S AND 17S, SLANT BACK SOFT TOP, JL AUDIO STEREO SYSTEM, ROCK SLIDERS AND REAR CORNER ARMOR. THIS IS A COOL JEEP. THIS IS A SWEET TRUCK. CALL TODAY TO MAKE AN APPOINTMENT."

I test drove the vehicle, it drove smooth, everything seemed to be in order, except for one problem. When I got back to the dealer I noticed some smoke coming out of the grill. I pointed it out, and they said to go drive it around some more and see if it kept up, and it did. This was a couple of weeks ago, I contacted them today and they said that it was leaking from the trans pan but that it was all fixed.

I would really like to have a 2012 or newer for that new engine and extra power/fuel economy, but this Jeep has a lot of the things that I want already on it and would save me a lot of money. It is lifted on a Pro Comp/Sky Jacker kit, which I'm not happy about, but at least I won't be at stock height while I'm saving up for a RK or Evo kit! Coming from experienced Jeepers, What do you guys think?!

Thank you in advance for any help!

View attachment 113507 View attachment 113508 View attachment 113509 View attachment 113511

I am going to say one thing, and you can take it as you see fit...

Wranglers have MONSTROUS residual value. That means they are excellent for owners, terrible for buyers. In 2011, I purchased a 2012 fully loaded sahara for $34000. After 2 years and 23000 miles of mostly fun, I decided I wanted all the bells and whistles, and decided to get a 2014 Rubicon, and wanted to trade in the 2012. The dealer gave me $32000....that's a $2000 loss after 2 years and 23000 miles.

What you can take away from that is simple....unlike most cars, where the original owner takes the first big hit and then everyone wins, with the wrangler the new owner actually gets the best value (especially if they negotiate it down to 1-3% below invoice.) Not only that, but you get an unmolested, full factory warranty shiny new no scratches no farts in the seats rig.

If you can afford it, get a new one.

For your specific example, i definitely wouldn't do it. I wouldn't want the 3.8. Don't mean to start any flamewars but that's just me. That lift is also worthless and adds zero value (to me it detracts value, and if I had to buy it, I'd rather get back the stock suspension.) The "custom lighting" is a crock. There is nothing on this jeep that would warrant a price bump for quality aftermarket parts, like a quality bumper, an atlas transfer case, a dynatrac axle, etc. It's an ebay special jeep.

Last edited:
I am going to say one thing, and you can take it as you see fit...

Wranglers have MONSTROUS residual value. That means they are excellent for owners, terrible for buyers. In 2011, I purchased a 2012 fully loaded sahara for $34000. After 2 years and 23000 miles of mostly fun, I decided I wanted all the bells and whistles, and decided to get a 2014 Rubicon, and wanted to trade in the 2012. The dealer gave me $32000....that's a $2000 loss after 2 years and 23000 miles.

What you can take away from that is simple....unlike most cars, where the original owner takes the first big hit and then everyone wins, with the wrangler the new owner actually gets the best value (especially if they negotiate it down to 1-3% below invoice.) Not only that, but you get an unmolested, full factory warranty shiny new no scratches no farts in the seats rig.

If you can afford it, get a new one.

and do not forget 5 matching wheels and tires. the used one he is looking at has 4 wheels that match and the spare looks like a stock rim with a Toyo MT.:idontknow:

Jackal01

Simply put: I wouldn't do it. There will be better deals out there. I am on board with all the posts here.

Trail JK

You'll be surprised at what a stock Rubi can do. Besides, half the fun is building the Jeep just how you want it and learning each part and fit. Good luck with whatever you decide.

JAGS

Hooked
Do not get the used jeep that is already presenting with engine problems and a sub-par lift/ride quality you're just going to want to improve and upgrade before you know it.

Get the new rubi. Get yourself a budget boost and maybe some used 35s. Both can be had for cheap used! Then save, save and save for all the things you really want. This may not be the advice you want, but it's what advice I would give. :twocents:

Do not get the used jeep that is already presenting with engine problems and a sub-par lift/ride quality you're just going to want to improve and upgrade before you know it.

Get the new rubi. Get yourself a budget boost and maybe some used 35s. Both can be had for cheap used! Then save, save and save for all the things you really want. This may not be the advice you want, but it's what advice I would give. :twocents:

given by the guy who wheeled his stock JKUR for almost two years before getting EVO'd up :thumb:

JAGS

Hooked
given by the guy who wheeled his stock JKUR for almost two years before getting EVO'd up :thumb:

True story! And for OP, I still had one heck of a time wheeling and "overlanding" during those two years. 👍And now I have more experience to better understand my jeep. And a great lift that will allow me to do even more in the future.

Top Bottom