Cordless Impact Gun?

Misterchristo

What's up guys-

So the deeper I get into customizing my JK, I'm realizing two things pretty quickly being a beginner and first time jeep owner:

1. It costs a lot of money so buying the right things the first time is a must

and

2. I don't have squat in terms of automotive tools as this is my first car I've bought, not to mention I also don't have a garage or lots of storage living in the city.

So I started to research tools and wanted professional grade quality and performance for the average joe who is mechanically inclined. I came across this beauty as this brand is what they use in the pits in NASCAR. I'm thinking of building my tool base around this, a torque wrench and a 1/2" socket set for beginners…

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007LHJI4E...TF8&colid=2UHLUMY1JYIRQ&coliid=I3JH94L365PNN4

Let me know what ya think-

Chris

Last edited:

ClarksAdventures

Looks like a pretty good deal. Just make sure you get a set of "impact rated sockets". I use IR frequently in my job and I think you pay a little extra for the name, but they do put out a great project. Read the Q&A at the bottom of the page. One guy was saying there are different model numbers for the same item. The "K2" at the end will get you an extra battery, where as the "k1" that you're looking at will only come with 1 battery.

Wow! That's expensive. There is another thread on this subject and I agree with the majority of posts that were on it. Find a good brand like dewalt or Mikita or milwaukee, get the 18V but more importantly get what your buddy's have. That way batteries can be swapped when your out on the trail. I have ryobi weekend warrior stuff and they have worked fine. I plan on upgrading to Milwaukee when I can

ttfhell

A lot of the guys out here are using Milwaukee M18 tools out here. Looking for one myself as I seem to change tires a lot.

thardy

Banned
I love my Milwaukee tools, but I have been extremely impressed with the new lithium ion Snap-on units. They're ridiculously strong.

shortyokc

My favorite by far is the snap on cordless impact. The battery life is really good. I used the Ingersoll you listed and is also a great impact guys I work with have used them for years. Milwaukee for a consumer brand can't be beat definitely worth the money. I also used the craftsman but the batteries sux. Maybe good for swapping 2 wheels and then its done unless u get the lithium but even then they are not that great. I'm a diesel/transmission heavy equipment mechanic and put tools through hell on a daily basis

shortyokc

I use to be a Dewalt finatic but I think their quality has lacked from Previous years. I burned/trashed up 3 drills in 1 year. Before that I had the same dewalt drill for 8 years with no issues

el_chupo_

Performance wise, you will be hard pressed to find a battery tool that beats that IR, the Snap On 1/2", or the Milwuakee Fuel M18 1/2" version. MAC could be thrown in there as well. All will do ~700_ ft-lb of torque for tightening, which is much more than most will use. You will find more Snap On/Mac at most shops, due in large part to the payment plans and weekly visits by the tool truck, but you will see a few IR battery tools at shops too. Lots of their air tools though.

My mechanic friend was at BMW, and he actually used his 3/8" more than the 1/2, as nothing needed that much power. While the IR may be amongst the best, think a bit further down the road. Will you be a pro mechanic? Do you intend to own other battery powered tools?

For me, the answers were no (pro mech), and yes (other tools), so rather than focusing on one item, I checked out reviews of the tool I needed, and the others offered by the company. I just sold my Makita stuff, and switched to Milwuakee 18v. I can get an impact wrench that lines up with the best in the industry (and lots of pros use), but I also get a good selection of other quality tools for the stuff I do way more often, and that are very common for others, which helps when out on the trail or even helping a buddy with a project. Now I know I can get one of the best impact wrenches, and pro-quality other tools as well (pro as in professional in other fields, not pro-mechanics) helped the decision.

http://www.coptool.com/high-torque-...m18-2763-22-vs-ingersoll-rand-iqv20-w7150-k2/

Misterchristo

Thanks El Chupo,

Great write up and video, it will certainly help in making the decision. As for me, I hear what you are saying, I probably will never be a pro mechanic and it makes sense to buy a brand that a lot of guys use and vouch for… plus it makes compatibility of swapping bits, sockets, etc that much easier.

:rock:

twoxstreem

I have that IR gun and bring it on trips. its serious and better than any 1/2 air gun I've used. it hasn't ever failed to loosen a bolt or nut. It is one of the best purchase ive made.

The battery life is great too.

el_chupo_

I dont think you would be unhappy with either purchase, they are easily some of the best choices you have in the industry. The Milwaukee was put out to compete with the Ingersoll, And IR certainly has other tools in their line that make it a versatile system as well, especially for mechanical work.

I just wanted to throw out the Milwaukee, as it is a true competitor for the IR, if you need that kind of power. It is also nice that they have 2 modes on the big impact, so you can use it for wheels (rated at 100 ft/lb on the low setting).

(I am probably a bit biased, as I did just make the change myself)

I am kicking around picking up a refurbished bare tool that has 450 ft/lb or torque, and is quite a bit cheaper than the big impact, as I just dont think I need that much power for my uses.

Right now the Home Depot is doing a special, $150 off a tool kit + additional tool or battery, but they do not have the big impact available. It does work with the 450ft/lb version though:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...ver-XC-Combo-Kit-2797-22/203639295?quantity=1
+
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...Wrench-Tool-Only-2662-20/202196560?quantity=1

will put you at $418 + tax, and give you a pretty nice setup.

el_chupo_

They make a lot of stuff, including regular M18 and Fuel tools. I ignore part numbers and look at the ratings. The one Cozdude bought has a tightening torque rating of 183 pounds, they have several others going up from there, at the 350, 450, 550, and 700+ pound ranges. (all tightening, the loosening ability is generally quite a bit higher)

With the 1/4" impact drivers in the kits coming in around 125 lbs, it might be worth while to look at a stronger secondary kit, if you need it for bigger stuck parts. For most automotive work not involving rusty suspension stuff, should be perfect.

Maybe relevant, but I have loosened lug nuts on F150's with the impact that comes in the 2 piece kits, my Makita was rated at 1450 in/lb, or about 120 ft/lbs.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Should have let me know steve, we sell Milwaukee at work. Obvious reasons I get them there, but makes battery swaps easy when they crap out since we don't ask questions.

Jackal01

I bought this at pepboys recently and it has worked out nicely. I tried it out when I did a rotation. The only downfall is the battery being proprietary. But it does include 4 impact sockets and extension. I couldn't pass it up since it had a rebate of $20 making it $70 bucks. I still carry my Dewalt tools though. I guess a pro is that the one battery is dedicated now (solid justification I think :yup:).

Attachments

• 1418155671872.jpg
    1418155671872.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 605
Top Bottom