Maximus-3 Winch Plate and Zeon 10S install on 10A/X/HR Bumper

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
I wanted to take advantage of the money invested into the "stock" bumpers on my Hard Rock edition, so I decided to go with the Maximus-3 winch plate which is a bit cheaper than the Mopar variety alongside the Zeon 10S winch. I also added a Maximus-3 license plate holder that mounts to the
hawse fairlead.

Pre-install
IMG_2248.jpg

The winch plate kit and license plate kit.
IMG_2276.jpg

Remove the 7 15mm bolts that keep the skid plate attached.
IMG_2250.jpg

Remove all the bolts that hold the winch filler plate, as well as the plastic filler plate.
IMG_2259.jpg

Unplug the fog lights
View attachment 113812

Remove the 8 18mm bolts that hold the bumper onto the frame on both sides.
IMG_2270.jpg
View attachment 113810

The bumper removed
IMG_2275.jpg

Install the pump relocation bracket to the winch plate with the supplied bolts.
IMG_2280.jpg

Cut the existing pump bracket off with a 3" cutoff wheel. Then paint the grind to prevent rust. Slide the winch plate in and use any bolts as a temporary support in the front - do not tighten.
IMG_2283.jpg

Secure the pump to the relocation bracket. Secure the rear bolts of the winch plate.
IMG_2289.jpg

Test fit the winch into the plate.
IMG_2290.jpg

Run the wiring
IMG_2291.jpg

After confirming the winch is centered and the wiring is good and working, tighten the rear winch plate bolts. Bolt the winch to the winch plate. You can go ahead and spool the winch line on at this point.
IMG_2292.jpg

Now, back to the bumper! Remove the plastic cover in the middle of the bumper and toss it.

Measured about 2" from the middle of the left holes, and created a pilot hole
IMG_2302.jpg

Using a 1-7/8" bi-metal hole bit, I created the hole to match the winch fairlead opening. You'll then use a 3" cutoff wheel to chop off the metal in between the hole and the fairlead hole.
IMG_2306.jpg

The new fairlead hole after cut out, filed down, and painted.
IMG_2308.jpg

After everything is dried, you mount the center winch plate, hawse fairlead, and license plate bracket all to the front of the bumper with the supplied bolts. You then bolt up the bumper with the 8 18mm bolts again, and that's about it!

The final product!
IMG_2309.jpg

With the optional license plate mount.
IMG_2313.jpg
IMG_2317.jpg

A few notes: When you cut off the pump bracket, do it better than I did - it becomes a bit of pain in the ass to tighten the frame bolts for the bumper if you have it sticking out even a little like I did. I finally got the job done but not without a lot of tinkering. Also, good luck getting the synthetic rope pulled through with the supplied zip tie. I went through many before finally getting it through.

Overall, not too bad - it took me 2 afternoons by myself to complete, but that was with several interruptions. I like the results! Any questions, lemme know!

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
I like it! Looks really clean with the hook hidden behind your front licence plate.

CanadianJK

Like mine off centre. Looks good though. How sturdy is the license plate mount? Eventually when I move I'll need a front plate.

Wardell

Thanks for posting this up. That's a really slick looking setup, and the install looks pretty straightforward too. Can't wait to mount one of these in my Jeep, though I'll probably have to wait until spring.

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
Like mine off centre. Looks good though. How sturdy is the license plate mount? Eventually when I move I'll need a front plate.

It's pretty solid - but we'll see how it holds up when I take it off road. It has thumb screws so you can easily remove the plate, but the way the holder sticks out is of concern. I figure I'll give it a shot and then if it doesn't work or gets bent I'll come up with another solution.

CanadianJK

It's pretty solid - but we'll see how it holds up when I take it off road. It has thumb screws so you can easily remove the plate, but the way the holder sticks out is of concern. I figure I'll give it a shot and then if it doesn't work or gets bent I'll come up with another solution.

Sounds good, I have a factor 55 link on my cable, doesn't look like it'll fit, how much room between fairlead and the plate holder?

Mike_D

Did you have to cut the bumper specifically for the Zeon (I've read its a bit wider than others) or would any winch require that?

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
Did you have to cut the bumper specifically for the Zeon (I've read its a bit wider than others) or would any winch require that?

Yes, just the front opening. The cut gets covered though by the reinforcement plate so it doesn't have to be pretty.

Also have to cut the pump bracket to fit the zeon. Can't speak to other winches since the zeon was all I had to install. It is pretty wide though compared to the M8000 I had years ago.

Last edited:

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Bump back from the dead.
OP, Looks nice and Clean, Liking it!

Anyone know if maximus-3 makes a plate that will fit the warn Powerplant on the hardrock (10X/RubiconX) bumper? This is the route I think I might want to go, I haven't researched the strength of the factory Steel Bumper&Maximus-3 Stinger (opposed to a LOD Crawler/EVO 1/4 pounded with stinger) But I have settled on the Powerplant winch for the added convenience of onboard Air (mainly for the tires, if i ever get to the point of swapping out axles and running air lockers, I have no reserves regarding a true onboard air kit like the ARB)

Thank you in advance for any info anyone can provide. :rock:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Bump back from the dead.
OP, Looks nice and Clean, Liking it!

Anyone know if maximus-3 makes a plate that will fit the warn Powerplant on the hardrock (10X/RubiconX) bumper? This is the route I think I might want to go, I haven't researched the strength of the factory Steel Bumper&Maximus-3 Stinger (opposed to a LOD Crawler/EVO 1/4 pounded with stinger) But I have settled on the Powerplant winch for the added convenience of onboard Air (mainly for the tires, if i ever get to the point of swapping out axles and running air lockers, I have no reserves regarding a true onboard air kit like the ARB)

Thank you in advance for any info anyone can provide. :rock:

a powerplant is prob to big for the stock hole in the 10a bumper. you would most likely have to cut the bumper to widen it.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
a powerplant is prob to big for the stock hole in the 10a bumper. you would most likely have to cut the bumper to widen it.

I didnt even think to check that.

according to WARN the powerplant dimensions are:
Winch Dimensions: 24.31" L. x 6.7" D. x 13.46" H. (617mm L. x 170mm D. x 342mm H.)
Mounting Bolt Pattern: 10.0" x 4.5" (254mm x 114.3mm)

and sadly its just not going to make it without some trimming...
IMG_3822.jpg

After some additional research, THIS guy was able to install the winch without any modification to bumper (he custom made his winch plate, as when teh 10X first came out, there wasn't much available for the bumper aftermarket:
DSC03640.jpg DSCN0598.jpg DSCN0602.jpg

Last edited:

Wardell

I didnt even think to check that.

according to WARN the powerplant dimensions are:
Winch Dimensions: 24.31" L. x 6.7" D. x 13.46" H. (617mm L. x 170mm D. x 342mm H.)
Mounting Bolt Pattern: 10.0" x 4.5" (254mm x 114.3mm)

and sadly its just not going to make it without some trimming...

I was just looking that up too. The manual says that's a standard mounting bolt pattern though, so the Maximus 3 mounting bracket itself should probably fit the PowerPlant on it, as long as you trim the bumper to fit around it.

I haven't researched the strength of the factory Steel Bumper&Maximus-3 Stinger (opposed to a LOD Crawler/EVO 1/4 pounded with stinger)

As nice as the MOPAR 10A / X / HR bumper looks, it's not going to be as strong as the LOD or EVO bumpers. They are really heavy duty welded steel, with the stinger welded in. The steel in the MOPAR bumper is thinner. The Maximus 3 stinger looks at least as durable as the MOPAR bumper it's made for, but still not quite as sturdy as a bumper that has the stinger welded on.

If you're thinking about getting air lockers down the road though, I say start building for the way you want your Jeep to be when it's all built and just get an onboard air setup from the start. All told, the price of an ARB compressor and a Zeon winch is comparable to the PowerPlant, and it will save you and extra purchase and some duplication of work later on.

Top Bottom