Waterproofing a jk. (Breather hose relocation)

Malokgashvog

Has anyone thought to put the breather hose inside or inline with a snokel fitted to a jk 2012+
I want to make my jk waterproof for river crossings. I want opinions on what you guys think about putting the breather tubes for trans and axles in the snorkel?
Are there pros and cons to this?

Wardell

I've looked into it. It seems pretty easy to do, but I haven't tried it yet myself. The best way I've seen is to splice a hose into the breather tube for the engine block (which already goes to the airbox), and run that all the way underneath and to the rear of the Jeep. Then you can splice in hoses for both axles, the transmission and transfer case to this main line. The good thing about doing it this way is that everything will be vented up through the highest part of your intake system (i.e. the snorkel), so you should never have to worry about them getting water in them - if you get water down the snorkel, you have bigger problems! I can't think of any drawbacks to this, and I'm actually kinda surprised they don't come hooked up this way stock.

I've only seen one kit out there for this, but the hose and connectors should be easy enough to get at any hardware store.

Last edited:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Has anyone thought to put the breather hose inside or inline with a snokel fitted to a jk 2012+
I want to make my jk waterproof for river crossings. I want opinions on what you guys think about putting the breather tubes for trans and axles in the snorkel?
Are there pros and cons to this?

Not going to happen (waterproofing). THe JK isn't a defender 90. The JK had a heap of EXTREMELY sensitive electronics (thanks CANBUS) and the computers aren't THAT high up, so you can't do submarining with a JK. Relocate the front axle breather to the master cylinder area, and the rear axle inside the passenger side tail light hole.

The transfercase breather is located basically at the top of the engine block on the left side and if you flood it, chances are, you are going to flood all the computers in your dash and destroy the jeep.

hydrohut

Not going to happen (waterproofing). THe JK isn't a defender 90. The JK had a heap of EXTREMELY sensitive electronics (thanks CANBUS) and the computers aren't THAT high up, so you can't do submarining with a JK. Relocate the front axle breather to the master cylinder area, and the rear axle inside the passenger side tail light hole.

The transfercase breather is located basically at the top of the engine block on the left side and if you flood it, chances are, you are going to flood all the computers in your dash and destroy the jeep.
Agree with all this. You can get your breathers up high enough without disturbing your air intake. If you were to hook them up to your intake you could maybe end up sucking some oil out your diffs possibly? Get a good snorkel. Lots of the wheeling I do involves water crossings (multiple unfortunately) I hate the stuff! nothing good comes from spending too much time in the water and if you get stuck in deep stuff you have shit loads of work and expense ahead of you, changing all the oils etc, ask me how I know lol.

RubiHB

Over the next year or two I plan on taking out and sealing up nearly everything electronics wise. Problem here is two fold. When you make stuff water tight, and somehow it does happen to get water into it then you run into MASSIVE corrosion problems. If you open it up so it can breath and dry out easy, then you will get a lot of water into your stuff along with all the mud, silt, muck, and other floaties that might start rust or corrosion.

I just need some time, space, and not crap weather so I can roll the vette while the JK is apart to investigate these water issues.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Over the next year or two I plan on taking out and sealing up nearly everything electronics wise. Problem here is two fold. When you make stuff water tight, and somehow it does happen to get water into it then you run into MASSIVE corrosion problems. If you open it up so it can breath and dry out easy, then you will get a lot of water into your stuff along with all the mud, silt, muck, and other floaties that might start rust or corrosion.

I just need some time, space, and not crap weather so I can roll the vette while the JK is apart to investigate these water issues.

Unless you disassemble all the computers and inject everything with silicone (and torching your warranty and resale) it ain't gonna happen.

hydrohut

In my opinion the JK's are not too bad as they are for general water crossings. The electrics under the hood are all up pretty high. If you were to get stuck in the deep, yes you will drown computers and things and who would want to go there?? If you must go through serious water then a snorkel is essential owing to where the factory intake is placed. Then sensible extensions of the breathers and, if you do a lot of water crossings, regular checks of your oils for contamination. It's only going to end in tears if you set out to try and turn your vehicle into some kind of submarine.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
In my opinion the JK's are not too bad as they are for general water crossings. The electrics under the hood are all up pretty high. If you were to get stuck in the deep, yes you will drown computers and things and who would want to go there?? If you must go through serious water then a snorkel is essential owing to where the factory intake is placed. Then sensible extensions of the breathers and, if you do a lot of water crossings, regular checks of your oils for contamination. It's only going to end in tears if you set out to try and turn your vehicle into some kind of submarine.

Thats my point. The OEM intake and the OEM computers are basically at the same height. A snorkel buys you an insurance policy, not really added capability.

I guess to put my point simply....there is nothing you can do to a JK that will allow you to do this...

The one thing the FJ cruiser did right was put electronics/wiring in the roof. I realize the JK is a convertible, but maybe some creative placement of wiring in the sport cage would have been a welcome addition, as well as silicone dipped circuit boards.

Last edited:

hydrohut

Yep that's a great video. He's lucky. I bet he's still having issues with that truck though because of that crossing. Air bags, dash board? Etc etc.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Yep that's a great video. He's lucky. I bet he's still having issues with that truck though because of that crossing. Air bags, dash board? Etc etc.

Not sure if he still has airbags, but radio, speakers, etc can all be marine grade so they can take a soaking.

Wizard

I grabbed some correct size hose and a couple of inline filters to extend the breathers on my diffs.

DiffBreathers003_zps3ced9b0a.jpg

I routed the rear hose up into the cavity behind the tail light.

DiffBreathers005_zps457aeb78.jpg

DiffBreathers007_zps951c7ea9.jpg

And the front diff breather up to the top of the firewall.

DiffBreathers010_zpscedb7211.jpg

RubiHB

Unless you disassemble all the computers and inject everything with silicone (and torching your warranty and resale) it ain't gonna happen.

That is exactly what I plan to do. Rip out every computer, module, non sealed connector, and look into every switch for sealing or replacement along with the stereo and speakers. Also see what I can replace with marine grade. For me it's as easy as changing oil. I have 25+ years of experience dealing with this type of mobile electrical and installation type stuff. It's gonna be fun.

Computers aren't covered under warranty or the extended warranty anyway.

Last edited:

jeeeep

Hooked
I grabbed some correct size hose and a couple of inline filters to extend the breathers on my diffs.

View attachment 114021

I routed the rear hose up into the cavity behind the tail light.

View attachment 114022

View attachment 114023

And the front diff breather up to the top of the firewall.

View attachment 114024

nice routing , might want to change the filter to an OEM axle hose vent. you don't want that filter material to get soaked with oil (or anything else) and become more of a plug then a vent.

Also make sure they are pointing up, don't want to risk creating a siphoning affect

Last edited:

LeighP

If people are looking at deeper crossings, heres a suggestion.....I'm not sure if your guys use these in the US, but in Australia when we've got a deeper crossing ahead, we use a poly tarp strapped to the front of the car to create a bubble in the engine bay as you move through the water. These are quite effective at keeping the water from causing problems with accessories/drive belts etc.

Attachments

• otoole17.jpg
    otoole17.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 138
  • water-crossing-bra_1.jpg
    water-crossing-bra_1.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 136
  • $_35.JPG
    $_35.JPG
    6.8 KB · Views: 135

TomRalph

I bought some gas line from Amazon, I think it was 5/8" and two brass T's.

Started at the rear axle, then went to the transmission then to the front axle then to the air box. While it isn't the best at least all the breathing happens through the air box. I should never have the JK deep enough to get that wet and if I do something went wrong. just small stream crossings here :)

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
That is exactly what I plan to do. Rip out every computer, module, non sealed connector, and look into every switch for sealing or replacement along with the stereo and speakers. Also see what I can replace with marine grade. For me it's as easy as changing oil. I have 25+ years of experience dealing with this type of mobile electrical and installation type stuff. It's gonna be fun.

Computers aren't covered under warranty or the extended warranty anyway.

Say what? They sure as sh!t are. You're going to have one hell of a time sealing the connectors on a JK. Do yourself a favor, start with the edisco connector first. ;)

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
If people are looking at deeper crossings, heres a suggestion.....I'm not sure if your guys use these in the US, but in Australia when we've got a deeper crossing ahead, we use a poly tarp strapped to the front of the car to create a bubble in the engine bay as you move through the water. These are quite effective at keeping the water from causing problems with accessories/drive belts etc.

For non snorkel peeps that are overlanding and come up on some deep unexpected water, it's a great trick.

Top Bottom