Changler 3.6 H.P. vs Wrangler 3.6 H.P. ?

duane

Does anyone know how to go from 285 to 300 + h.p. in the 3.6 jeep with a stock engine ?? Thanks for your thoughts . Duane

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly, I've been wondering this myself ever since the 3.6L was offered in a Challenger. I mean, I have no doubts that a lot of it is in the computer but I really would have thought that Mopar would have offered some kind of performance kit for the JK by now.

jedg

In addition to tuning changes it could also be similar to chevrolet's approach with their engines. Different intake manifold, heads, and exhaust. For example, the 6.0L truck engine ranges from 322 hp to 360 hp. Really just a guess when talking about the JK/Challenger difference but I could see Dodge using a similar strategy?

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Most likely a more efficient exhaust and intake. On the JK, the intake priority is safety rather than performance, and the exhaust isn't as free flowing.

Fir-na-tine

Caught the Bug
Honestly, I've been wondering this myself ever since the 3.6L was offered in a Challenger. I mean, I have no doubts that a lot of it is in the computer but I really would have thought that Mopar would have offered some kind of performance kit for the JK by now.

I thought the same thing about the difference and was told by a mechanic at the dealership that it's because of the air intake system, slightly more aggressive cam grinds, and less restrictive exhaust......I found this bit of info that backs up the air intake part of it......

http://www.pentastars.com/engines/tech.php

"Despite the four variants of the 3.6 already being sold — rear drive (290 hp), AWD (292 hp), FWD (283 hp), and Challenger (305 hp), there are just two head designs, two intake manifolds, and one set of internal components, including cam and pistons (this probably changed when they added the Ram setup, 305 hp, though the rep said the main advantage in the Ram was the space available for the exhaust), according to an SAE article by Paul Weissler. The Challenger's 13 horsepower increase is due to "a more aggressively designed intake air system" which increased airflow from 214 to 220 g/s."

~Woodrow~

Sithwindu

So how do we make it happen?! Lol you would think SOMETHING would be out by now, at least in terms to engine tune

HILLZ

Spending the money and doing the mods to be able to match the power output of the Challenger would be a waste of time and money, other than a bit more responsiveness you'd never notice the difference made with the extra 10 to 15 HP. My :twocents:

Top Bottom