Nate Rubicon X Build

Sessoms14X

Decided to start my build thread. I've been checking out others and decided what the hell.... just start one up. Anyway this is my 3rd jeep and I've done more to this one than the previous 2. It's my daily driver and I love this jeep! I'm also on a strict budget so I won't be adding new parts on a weekly basis. So I hope ya enjoy it as much as I do and any input or advice is more than welcome!! ☺

Here's the Rubicon the day I went to the dealership and picked it up.
1418148822268.jpg
Had to wait a week to bring it home because of work.... and was the longest week ever!!!
1418149037994.jpg

Last edited:

Sessoms14X

It wasn't a week later that I had an AEV 3.5 lift installed. I'm not the most mechanical person so I had a buddy of mine who works at a shop instal it
1418149208896.jpg

I also had some 18" Black Rhino Sidewinders wheels and 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers. I really wish I would have just gone with 37s but I'll wait till I put different fenders on for that. Here's a pic after the lift and wheels
1418149363760.jpg

1418149424213.jpg

Sessoms14X

Next came some new decals. I want to keep a black and gray theme so I changed the decals to black and I just need to paint the tow hooks black
1418149550625.jpg

1418149574850.jpg

1418149598623.jpg

Sessoms14X

This is the next part to be replaced.
1418149702918.jpg

I just do not trust the factory tire carrier. I installed the Daystar bump stops for the tail gate and now my whole tail gate rattles nonstop. So last night I just ordered an AEV tire carrier so hoping to get that put on within the next couple weeks. As of now I'm just driving without my spare on.

Last edited:

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
Thanks guys!! ☺

I will post up some pics of the tire carrier when I get it. Anyone else have an AEV tire carrier. I looked at the instructions and it doesn't look like too bad of an install. Any tips or pointers for it?

Take the two brass bushings and put them in the freezer. They can be REALLY tight and freezing them will give you an extra. 001" clearance and they will slide right in. Just be sure to let them warm back up before you try to slide the carrier in.

Also, a second set of hands will be really helpful. My wife was there to push and hold things in place as I shimmed and tightened everything.

Once you get it all together, you will love the carrier! Take the time to follow the adjustment instructions and it will open/close like butta with a 75lb spare on it!

Good luck on the install and great looking rig!

Morgan

xkid

X2 on the bushings in the freezer. My air vent fell apart after trimming it. I just got a tramp stamp for it.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sessoms14X

It's on!! ☺ I had a lot of help from a buddy who's pretty good with installing aftermarket stuff so everything went pretty smoothly. Opening and closing seems pretty stiff. Does anyone else's open freely or are ya having to push it/pull it?

Attachments

• 1418791874685.jpg
    1418791874685.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 628

Sessoms14X

Take the two brass bushings and put them in the freezer. They can be REALLY tight and freezing them will give you an extra. 001" clearance and they will slide right in. Just be sure to let them warm back up before you try to slide the carrier in.

Also, a second set of hands will be really helpful. My wife was there to push and hold things in place as I shimmed and tightened everything.

Once you get it all together, you will love the carrier! Take the time to follow the adjustment instructions and it will open/close like butta with a 75lb spare on it!

Good luck on the install and great looking rig!

Morgan

How easy is it for ya to swing the tailgate open? I seem to have to force it open. I do have the tightness at the 1.5" before the tailgate is closed, but it feels that tight through the whole motion. Not sure if I got something too tight or if I need to add more grease. Nothings seems loose and there are no rattling noises anywhere.

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
How easy is it for ya to swing the tailgate open? I seem to have to force it open. I do have the tightness at the 1.5" before the tailgate is closed, but it feels that tight through the whole motion. Not sure if I got something too tight or if I need to add more grease. Nothings seems loose and there are no rattling noises anywhere.

Mine swings really smooth. That said, about 3 months after install, both my wife and I noticed independently that the tire carrier was getting more difficult to swing. I had just got back from a 3 day Death Valley tour and decided to pull my AEV Fuel Caddy off to get it completely drained. While I had everything off the tire carrier, I decided to dig a bit into the stiff carrier. I pulled the bolt off the bottom the carrier and found the o-ring under the washer had been pushed out due to grease and was pinched/cut. Since I did not have a replacement o-ring and it was not in bad shape, I trimmed the sliver off the o-ring that had been pinched and reassembled the carrier. All was smooth again and I just need to order a new o-ring so that I can replace the bottom one next time I am working under the Jeep.

As a side note, I don't think AEV provides a torque value for that bolt under the tire carrier. I did find that if you over tighten that bolt, the carrier gets considerably more stiff.

Hope this helps! :)

Morgan

Sessoms14X

Well we became a Jeep family the other day. Bought the wife a Grand Cherokee Altitude. Would of liked to buy her a JKU but I don't think I would be able to leave it stock and building up 2 jeeps isn't in the budget lol 1426711826677.jpg

Sessoms14X

Installed the Maximus 3 Stinger to my bumper today with the help of a buddy. I think it looks pretty good. Now I just need to get a winch in there :thumbup: 1428975476373.jpg

Top Bottom