BFG All Terrain T/A vs. Goodyear Duratrac

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Both are solid tires and you really couldn't go wrong with either. The Duratracs are proven in snow and ice but the new KO2's have been redesigned to work much better in those conditions as well. Being that they just came out, it'd be hard to say just how much better they are but, if I had to choose, I would go with the KO2's if only because they are a more all around AT with a tread design that is very quiet, look great and what can I say, they're new and I like to test out new things :yup:

NAUJK

As Eddie said either one is great. I don't run the new KOs but I do have the older design and love them they are quite on the road and do great off road. Lots of guys in my local club run the duratracs as well. They're both a great tire. Couldn't go wrong with either one.

Jackal01

I have run both but currently have the DTs. They both are truly great tires. I like the look of the goodyears so my vote is those. I cannot attest to the snow/ice since we don't get much of that in Houston.

Sully G

It sounds like I can go with either one and be happy with my choice. I do like look of the sidewall of the Goodyear Duratrac. They both weigh the same amount. The BFG doesn't do well in snow and ice, but it San Diego that really isn't an issue unless I go to Big Bear.

Thanks for your input.

Jk909

I've had both and I can't say one is better than the other. I think the bfg offers a heavy duty sidewall. If you can't decide then go with whichever is cheaper.

Reboot

I ordered a set of the new BFGs. Unfortunately they are back ordered so all I can do is read about them for now. They are supposed to much improved over the previous version with better side walls and mud, snow and ice traction. I like to use my jeep mainly for off road but the nearest trails are about an hour on the highway. When it snows here the roads turn to ice and the dedicated mud tires are dangerous in these conditions.

jeepguy2014

I've had both and I can't say one is better than the other. I think the bfg offers a heavy duty sidewall. If you can't decide then go with whichever is cheaper.

How are the new KO 2's? What size do you have? Or did you have older KO's?

Jk909

How are the new KO 2's? What size do you have? Or did you have older KO's?

I haven't tried the new one but I had last years model in 35"s on my 2500hd and I used to run them in the snow and mud a lot. I can't even count how many times I have pulled people out with them. The only reason why I don't run them now is because nitto is offering good tires at better prices

shortyokc

I had the big ko's on my jeep commander and we're a great all around tire, smooth, quite, great tread wear, good in snow, did OK on ice but everything sucks on ice. I have a friend with the dura tracks and nothing but good things to say about them. From all the research iv read the dura tracks probably have a little better edge over the bfg for being a winter weather tire.

Wardell

I haven't used either yet myself, but I can tell you that the miners and people that maintain the ice roads up here have sworn by the Duratracs for years. That's mainly because up until this year they have really been the only winter rated off road tire, and they have had proven excellent performance in ice and snow. They even let you add studs if necessary. That said, the biggest complaint about the Duratracs I've heard is that they have weak sidewalls that can't take quite as much abuse on the trail. I've heard of people running these year round down south, but if you don't need them for their winter performance, I think there are better tires out there.

The KO2s are a much more modern design, not just considering that they are brand new. I've yet to hear a side by side review with the Duratracs, but I do know that their sidewalls are designed to be much more durable. I think their only big draw back (for those who live in an extreme winter climate anyway) is you can't stud them.

Also, have you looked at the new Nitto Exo Grapplers? They also came out this year, and they are very comparable to the KO2s in terms of design. They can even be studded like the Duratracs. I was actually leaning towards getting these until I heard that the KO2s will be sold in a 37" size in the spring.

jeepguy2014

I haven't used either yet myself, but I can tell you that the miners and people that maintain the ice roads up here have sworn by the Duratracs for years. That's mainly because up until this year they have really been the only winter rated off road tire, and they have had proven excellent performance in ice and snow. They even let you add studs if necessary. That said, the biggest complaint about the Duratracs I've heard is that they have weak sidewalls that can't take quite as much abuse on the trail. I've heard of people running these year round down south, but if you don't need them for their winter performance, I think there are better tires out there.

The KO2s are a much more modern design, not just considering that they are brand new. I've yet to hear a side by side review with the Duratracs, but I do know that their sidewalls are designed to be much more durable. I think their only big draw back (for those who live in an extreme winter climate anyway) is you can't stud them.

Also, have you looked at the new Nitto Exo Grapplers? They also came out this year, and they are very comparable to the KO2s in terms of design. They can even be studded like the Duratracs. I was actually leaning towards getting these until I heard that the KO2s will be sold in a 37" size in the spring.

The 37 KO2 will be a small 37 so if your looking for maximum tire height they will fall a little smaller then TOYO's

Wardell

The 37 KO2 will be a small 37 so if your looking for maximum tire height they will fall a little smaller then TOYO's

Where did you hear that about the KO2 sizing? I haven't seen any details yet, other than what is in Discount Tire's thread on them.

Also, which Toyos do you mean? I've looked, but they don't appear to make a winter rated off road tire.

jeepguy2014

Where did you hear that about the KO2 sizing?

Also, which Toyos do you mean? I've looked, but they don't appear to make a winter rated off road tire.

Look at the specs, if they follow the the original KO's which run small as well, so do the mud terrains they produce

Wardell

Look at the specs, if they follow the the original KO's which run small as well, so do the mud terrains they produce

That sounds like a fair assumption about BFG tires in general, but the 37" class KO2s will still be the largest winter rated off road tire, and they'll also be the only ones in the size range I want to run. Otherwise, I'd have to compromise and run 35" tires.

It doesn't sound like winter performance will factor into the OP's decision too much (and I'm sorry if this is turning into too much of a tangent), but I can't really consider using anything that's not winter rated up here.

jeepguy2014

That sounds like a fair assumption about BFG tires in general, but the 37" class KO2s will still be the largest winter rated off road tire, and they'll also be the only ones in the size range I want to run. Otherwise, I'd have to compromise and run 35" tires.

It doesn't sound like winter performance will factor into the OP's decision too much (and I'm sorry if this is turning into too much of a tangent), but I can't really consider using anything that's not winter rated up here.

I agree they will be the only winter rated 37 tire and here in Iowa / Minnesota alot of us do our own tire siping even to duratracks , because tire studding isn't allowed

Bacon

If any amount of snow or mud are in your future, I would go with the Duratrac. If it's mostly pavement, rock and sand, I would go with the BFG.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I had the 33" duratrac, and now the 35. Sidewall strength on the E rated versions are solid, although I didn't have any problems with my 33s up in colorado. Sure they are not Nittos, but IMHO, if you are wheeling that hard, you should probably run a good tough MT anyway. Buddy of mine has the KOs (not the new version) and they aren't as good as my Duratracs IMHO in regards to comfort, noise, and performance in ALL conditions. The KO may be a little tougher/better on rock, but as far as jack of all trades, the Duratrac is hard to beat. IMHO, it is also the best looking AT you can get. As others stated, they are incredible in the snow/ice, but I know that is a non-issue for you. Just .02

Rmorin222

I just moved to the Goodyears and could be happier. My KOs made way more road noise than the Goodyears. I will find out how they do on long hauls here soon enough. :D:D:D:D

Top Bottom