polyperformance vs metalcloak tie rod?

stretch79

I'll be upgrading my tie rod soon and was wondering what everyone thought. I'll be running the metalcloak lift but I have the polyperformance track bar so nothing will match anyway. Suggestions?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The MetalCloak tie-rod has issues right now. They are working on it and should have their improved version out early next year but, if you need a replacement now and Synergy is the only other one you're considering, that'd probably be your better bet.

BTW, welcome to WAYALIFE. Maybe you can post up some pics of your Jeep and tell us a bit about yourself.

stretch79

Thanks for the welcome. Any idea if the poly tie rod ends will fit with 15" wheels? I'm running 3.75" backspacing, there is about a 1/4" gap between boot and wheel right now with stock tierod. And yes, I know I should run 17" wheels and will do that eventually but for now these work.

stretch79

I agree with Eddie. If those are your only two choices

Only real reason is due to already having the poly track bar and since I'm going to run the metalcloak lift eventually, just trying not to get more than a couple different colors going on under there.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the welcome. Any idea if the poly tie rod ends will fit with 15" wheels? I'm running 3.75" backspacing, there is about a 1/4" gap between boot and wheel right now with stock tierod. And yes, I know I should run 17" wheels and will do that eventually but for now these work.

LOL!! Are you really asking a question here or trying to tell us what you already know? :crazyeyes:

stretch79

LOL!! Are you really asking a question here or trying to tell us what you already know? :crazyeyes:

I honestly have no idea if it will fit with the 15's, it appears that there is room but was hoping someone out there is running it with 15's and could tell me for sure. Are you just busting my balls because I'm running 15's and not 17's like everyone else? Trying to keep cost low, 15" tires were considerably less than 17" tires when I went that route, at the time I never considered running a different tie rod.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I honestly have no idea if it will fit with the 15's, it appears that there is room but was hoping someone out there is running it with 15's and could tell me for sure. Are you just busting my balls because I'm running 15's and not 17's like everyone else? Trying to keep cost low, 15" tires were considerably less than 17" tires when I went that route, at the time I never considered running a different tie rod.

:cheesy: What? Calm down buddy - I wasn't trying to bust your balls. I just figured you had already done your research as you made sure to point out that you were 1.) looking to get a poly tie-rod 2.) had 15" wheels and 3.) had 3.75" of back spacing. This was just strange to me as this is in fact the magic combination to make it all work. Most people don't even know to mention what kind of back spacing they have.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

No one runs 15's because once you get to 35" tires and larger its to much sidewall flex while daily driving. Yes it's great for off roading but We want the stability and safety on road as well.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
No one runs 15's because once you get to 35" tires and larger its to much sidewall flex while daily driving. Yes it's great for off roading but We want the stability and safety on road as well.

Well, I wouldn't say "no one". A lot of folks including myself used to run 15" wheels with 35's or BIGGER back in the day because it was the only thing we knew. Time just has a way of teaching you things. Me, I actually really like the stability that 17" wheels offer on off camber situations too - it's just a great all around size for 35"-37" tires. :yup:

stretch79

:cheesy: What? Calm down buddy - I wasn't trying to bust your balls. I just figured you had already done your research as you made sure to point out that you were 1.) looking to get a poly tie-rod 2.) had 15" wheels and 3.) had 3.75" of back spacing. This was just strange to me as this is in fact the magic combination to make it all work. Most people don't even know to mention what kind of back spacing they have.

This is going nowhere fast cause now I can't tell if you are serious or not on the magic combination sentence. Is someone really running this exact setup and it is working? This was my first bit of research to see if it would work or not. Was hoping but didn't want to spend $325 to find out. Is poly the only brand that will work with those wheels? Eventually I'll go to 17's but my KM2's have about 90% tread left so its gonna be awhile.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Well, I wouldn't say "no one". A lot of folks including myself used to run 15" wheels with 35's or BIGGER back in the day because it was the only thing we knew. Time just has a way of teaching you things. Me, I actually really like the stability that 17" wheels offer on off camber situations too - it's just a great all around size for 35"-37" tires. :yup:

True, no one was the wrong phrase to use. A vast majority is prob better. I agree I think 17's are a great for off road and on road. Hell I noticed a difference in stability on road from my 16's and 35's to 17's and 35's.

stretch79

My 15/35 KM2 combo seems to be working just fine. I would agree that much bigger than 35 might be an issue though and when (about two years) I do go 37" KM2's I will make the upgrade to 17's but for now I just want to upgrade my tierod.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
This is going nowhere fast cause now I can't tell if you are serious or not on the magic combination sentence. Is someone really running this exact setup and it is working? This was my first bit of research to see if it would work or not. Was hoping but didn't want to spend $325 to find out. Is poly the only brand that will work with those wheels? Eventually I'll go to 17's but my KM2's have about 90% tread left so its gonna be awhile.

:cheesy: What?? Honestly, you need to stop taking yourself so seriously here. Yes, I was joking the first time around but I wasn't joking with my follow up response. When I said it was the "magic combination", I meant that literally as it IS what I have seen is needed to just make it all work. Any more back spacing and it will not.

dgriz

The MetalCloak tie-rod has issues right now. They are working on it and should have their improved version out early next year...

Any new info on MC's new tie-rod? I'm also running MC suspension and am ready to upgrade my tie rod from my beat up stock one.

horrocks007

Resurrecting an old thread here as it's pretty much the first thing that pops up for me on google. I currently have a Synergy tie rod that has seized after two winters here. Apparently you're supposed to take these these things apart and reapply anti-seize every year and have the alignment repeated.

Probably not going to happen for me. Since I tried, along with 3 other places to get it unstuck, the tie rod is now bent and I will give Metalcloak a try. I ordered the product and am waiting for it to ship, as they informed me it will take a week or so.

I need a drag link too as my stock one has a bit of play according to one alignment shop, that I also ordered from Metalcloak.

I looked at Rock Krawler, Yeti, Synergy and Metalcoak. I would have gone with Rock Krawler because of their lifetime guarantee, and I already have their Flex system. But the drag link re-uses the stock-upper portion, which might not be a big deal, but it seems like it's not as good. Synergy has always felt "floppy," with it's handling, and although they sell some anti-flop boots which may fix that, having the thing seized up on my jeep already gives me bad vibes. Yeti has a pretty convincing website and I don't doubt their quality, but the tie rod and drag link are already more expensive than anyone else and on top of that they want you to buy their steering dampener bracket for an extra $90. I would have gone with them, but that bracket for $90, was a real deal killer for me, what a rip off.

So I ordered Metalcloak because their ends have an anti-flop feature and their parts are zinc coated. hopefully they last longer than stock or Synergy because these things are way expensive!!! And yes the steering dampener bracket is included with their tie rod.

I'll take pictures and give input for how it drives. Hopefully I never have to buy another one.

I'd much rather be buying a winch!

Top Bottom