Brakes???

JohnnyX

So I always hear talk about bigger tires n gearing but what about the factory brakes who has upgraded n to what? Just how big of tires can the factory brake set up take till it starts burning them up?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I don't think it's a point of burning them up, more so not being able to stop. Dynatrac just came out with a new big brake kit for the JK which should be available soon and from what I've seen its far better the the teraflex kit.

That being said, if your running a big enough tire you should be running bigger axles which should come with bigger brakes. 35's are fine with factory brakes (I have 40k miles of 35's on my factory brakes plus 10k of factory wheels/tires). 37's are good for some but not for others. With a two door 37's will be much nicer on the brakes then a heavy four door with 37's.

Clark Collins

I've been wondering about this issue myself since I swapped axles and increased my tire size. The stock brakes seem a little weak to me and I was wondering if there are brake pads with more stopping power that can be used with the stock calipers. I am not interested in spending a bunch on a complete new system, but better pads are within my budget of they will make a difference. Any suggestions?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think it's a point of burning them up, more so not being able to stop. Dynatrac just came out with a new big brake kit for the JK which should be available soon and from what I've seen its far better the the teraflex kit.

That being said, if your running a big enough tire you should be running bigger axles which should come with bigger brakes. 35's are fine with factory brakes (I have 40k miles of 35's on my factory brakes plus 10k of factory wheels/tires). 37's are good for some but not for others. With a two door 37's will be much nicer on the brakes then a heavy four door with 37's.

Couldn't have said it better. For me personally, I find that running 37's with factory brakes is fine and don't have a problem with them until I drive in a rental car and I near about throw myself out the windshield because I'm braking too hard. I've had a chance to do side by side testing of the new Dynatrac ProGrip vs. other options and can tell you that it really is a big improvement over stock and the competition. It is what I would recommend.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've been wondering about this issue myself since I swapped axles and increased my tire size. The stock brakes seem a little weak to me and I was wondering if there are brake pads with more stopping power that can be used with the stock calipers. I am not interested in spending a bunch on a complete new system, but better pads are within my budget of they will make a difference. Any suggestions?

New pads may provide more friction but the problem is that they will lock up your brakes or cause your BAS system to kick in. Both will in fact reduce your stopping distance. You do NOT need to get all new bigger calipers or a master cylinder to help improve braking performance and if anything, the kits that are available now cause significant nose diving and just slightly better stopping. The new Dynatrac ProGrip system uses your factory master cylinder and most of your factory caliper in conjunction to proprietary rotors and linings to give you significantly improved flat stopping power front and back as opposed to just the fronts. No locking up and now BAS kicks in with it. After testing this out for myself, it is what I would recommend.

Couldn't have said it better. For me personally, I find that running 37's with factory brakes is fine and don't have a problem with them until I drive in a rental car and I near about throw myself out the windshield because I'm braking too hard. I've had a chance to do side by side testing of the new Dynatrac ProGrip vs. other options and can tell you that it really is a big improvement over stock and the competition. It is what I would recommend.

You really need toss some weight around and get them guys producing much faster, lol ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1418575077.433932.jpg

Grappler

Great Thread and a question I was looking to pose as well.

I was able to read up a bit about the Pro Grip from the SEMA threads and I wonder how the system would compare to something like a Baer brake system upgrade for a JKU. Does anyone have any experience with the Baer system with positive or negative feedback? Thanks.

Top Bottom