Is this a JK?

JcarrKC

Saw this wreck on the news tonight and it appears to have completely ripped the roof and doors off this Jeep. Scary stuff as I'm not seeing a lot of damage to the semi. looks like the roof is laying on the highway in the zoomed out picture. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1418684564.481174.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1418684586.717488.jpg

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Definitely an XJ (Cherokee). The doors/roof may have been cut off to rescue the occupant(s).

CerOf

That is a little scary. I like XJs, but don't like unitbody. Hmmm

Not picking on you, but a pet peeve of mine. The XJ, ZJ, and WJ are not a unibody vehicle. They all have an actual frame! The frame is welded directly to the body and called uniframe. I found this drawing to illustrate:
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1418790313.414358.jpg

Mike_D

Definitely an XJ (Cherokee). The doors/roof may have been cut off to rescue the occupant(s).

This. The crash didn't rip off the roof. My brother is on the fire dept and I've seen how they go about extractions and that is exactly how it's done.

RMC2

Caught the Bug
Not picking on you, but a pet peeve of mine. The XJ, ZJ, and WJ are not a unibody vehicle. They all have an actual frame! The frame is welded directly to the body and called uniframe. I found this drawing to illustrate:
View attachment 115258

Thanks for pointing that out.

This may belong somewhere else, but to start a conversation and not an actual argument:

I would argue that uniframe, unibody, and unit body are really not all that different from each otherh. I would agree that uniframe may be a little stronger because it has a sorta frame. But it still is a relatively lightweight sheet metal frame attached directly to the body.

I have often thought it would be cool to drop an XJ onto an actual frame that has been built to match with "body mounts". I don't know how well it would work out. It would be a neat idea.

CerOf

Thanks for pointing that out.

This may belong somewhere else, but to start a conversation and not an actual argument:

I would argue that uniframe, unibody, and unit body are really not all that different from each otherh. I would agree that uniframe may be a little stronger because it has a sorta frame. But it still is a relatively lightweight sheet metal frame attached directly to the body.

I have often thought it would be cool to drop an XJ onto an actual frame that has been built to match with "body mounts". I don't know how well it would work out. It would be a neat idea.

I've "heard" but never seen, of folks cutting off the welded on frame and inserting a "body lift" with spacers of sorts. The sheet metal is thin, but engineered pretty strong. An old friend ripped off his rear control arm mount on his ZJ running 6" of lift. Gosh, that was back in summer 2000.

RMC2

Caught the Bug
I've "heard" but never seen, of folks cutting off the welded on frame and inserting a "body lift" with spacers of sorts. The sheet metal is thin, but engineered pretty strong. An old friend ripped off his rear control arm mount on his ZJ running 6" of lift. Gosh, that was back in summer 2000.

That sounds scary if they were putting it on what was left of the old "frame". Hopefully they crafted a new frame.

Top Bottom