JK Rear Cargo Storage Solution

rich67

Caught the Bug
I do a lot of camping and also haul around people in my 4 door when we do. I don't have a roof rack, nor do I have the money to spend on one right now (saving for a lift/wheels and tires). I have a hitch rack I use to store coolers, camp chairs, and other gear. But I notice it's a real mess inside my cargo area. What do you guys do for storage back there? I'm looking for an inexpensive container (stackable) solution, maybe a couple containers-- one to store camp gear like stoves, propane, tent, tarps, pots and pans and lanterns. Then another one for sleeping bags, mattress, cold weather clothing, etc. I still need extra room for a couple small suitcases and my camera box.
I want something that is not a permanent addition to the cargo area, unless someone has a really decent setup. I have eyed some of the expedition websites, and a lot of those things are pretty darn expensive (sliding drawers, etc) although they look pretty cool. Anyone got some pics of their setup? Just trying to get some ideas. Thanks! :standing wave:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
For camping gear and things like that, I like to use these.

5b5a4daa-47cb-4c19-80f9-7eeb76e656d4_400.jpg

You can load them up and stuff them in your Jeep. Keeps everything nice and neat and when you're home again, you can just pull them out.

For things like my tools, I like to use heavy duty tool bags (several of them) as they don't take up any more room than they need to, can be stacked and shoved into corners with little effort. Again, you can leave them packed up and load them up when you're ready to go, pull them back out just as easily when you home again and, on the trail, they're easier to carry to whatever needs to be fixed.

curtiso504

I found a 36" wide aluminum underbody truck box. I use it for secured storage. Fits behind the subwoofer against the seat. And is easy to take out when I don't want it riding along. About $199 online.

rich67

Caught the Bug
For camping gear and things like that, I like to use these.

View attachment 115111

You can load them up and stuff them in your Jeep. Keeps everything nice and neat and when you're home again, you can just pull them out.

For things like my tools, I like to use heavy duty tool bags (several of them) as they don't take up any more room than they need to, can be stacked and shoved into corners with little effort. Again, you can leave them packed up and load them up when you're ready to go, pull them back out just as easily when you home again and, on the trail, they're easier to carry to whatever needs to be fixed.

I've got one of those for all my camera gear. One of the best put together totes I've owned. I like the tool bag idea.

Nice, but for almost 700 bucks?!? :icon_crazy: Yeesh. I would think someone could fab up a similar setup for far less money- it does look cool though.

I agree... The bags sell it for me. And they will not sell them seperately.

Edit to add, I also like the relocated sub.

Last edited:

JAGS

Hooked
This is on my Christmas list...

http://orv-innovations.com/

Nice, but for almost 700 bucks?!? :icon_crazy: Yeesh. I would think someone could fab up a similar setup for far less money- it does look cool though.

I'm hoping to fab something very similar to this. Kept going back and forth on height of the shelf (space underneath), then ran out of weekends to work on it during the summer. Like many other things, it's on the to-do list.

- Jason

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I like the "finished" look of the ARB unit. It almost looks like it was supposed to be there from the factory to me. It is pricey though.

of course....guess no one realizes people do in fact buy 2 doors lol, probably cuz most any solution requires removal of the rear seat.

This was the dilemma they spoke about while be chastised on another forum. The 2-door demand barely justifies the design work (in their mind) and of that population, it seems it's a 50/50 on with or without rear seat...

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
This was the dilemma they spoke about while be chastised on another forum. The 2-door demand barely justifies the design work (in their mind) and of that population, it seems it's a 50/50 on with or without rear seat...

I took 3 people along once wheeling and wont again lol, my rear seat has been a garage seat for a while now.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I always leave my rear seat in for two reasons. One is I sometimes need to transport my 3 year old cousin and he can't ride in the front and two, the biggest reason, I think it looks horrible in the back with no rear seat.

tuna

That's what I did too with my 2dr, but with my 4dr I really kinda wish they made it as a fold and tumble so it would be easy to remove completely.

Yeah I wish the JKU rear seats were simpler to remove. I'm going to be putting them into long term storage after xmas and building metal locked storage in the dip there. It'll be a perfect place for valuables (spare shafts made from diamond, Elven mithril wrenches and the double handed battleaxe). Being low & central is a benefit. I'm actually surprised it isn't a more common thing that you can buy off the shelf.

Top Bottom