need recommendation for tires

MaaMohTh

Hey guys,
first off Happy Holidays :)
and well... here goes, I'm in quebec, canada and got my JKU cause I want to go trailling in the woods up here. So I figure pretty much mud, soil, trunks, leaves, sand, gravel and the occasional boulder hill for the terrain.
Now what would be the best tires for a DD considering i'll have 311miles of highway/city before I hit the trail and I would be hitting the trail on every second week end..?
...is it too optimistic to think I could have a good set that could last 3 years?

got about 1800-2000$ CDN <--- yes that's canadian money hehehe for my budget ;)

Thx!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
3 years is a looooong time to be running a set of tires especially ones that are really good off road. But, if longevity is a must, I might recommend a set of BFG MT's or AT's if you see a lot of snow and ice. Of all the tires I have run, BFG's seem to wear like iron or at least, compared to other tires I have run. I have been able to get 60,000 miles plus out of the ones I have run whereas most of the off road tires I run only yield about 45,000 miles or less.

JAGS

Hooked
Eddies has given some good points.

Maybe look a set of the new AT by toyo/nitto. Sizes are limited as the tire is in early production though. I saw them recently in person. Have good aggressive tread for an AT and boasts a good longevity.

Reboot

I believe in Quebec winter driving laws require snow tires. I would look at the BFG AT KO2 or the Goodyear Duratrac as they are both snow rated and good wearing tires.

MaaMohTh

Great thanx guys :)
I'll make sure to post a pic with the new shoes :)
probably bfgs at km2 .... they're not too expensive up here at 280 a piece...
and uhmm.. think 35x12.5R15 on stell wheels and a 3" lift is a good idea or you'd go for different size ?
...apparently we can't run 37's here anymore... :/

Last edited:

Wardell

I believe in Quebec winter driving laws require snow tires. I would look at the BFG AT KO2 or the Goodyear Duratrac as they are both snow rated and good wearing tires.

Yup, they do require winter tires in Quebec between 15 December and 15 March. I know for a few years they did allow any LT tires in winter since there weren't many available that were winter rated, but that was only temporary and just ended on 15 December 2014. Now, they have to have either be winter rated or be studded.

http://www.saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/road_safety/vehicles/winter_tires/index.php

Yeah, I had to look that one up, and it's true. The max you can have is 35" tires (take a look at page 3). That one surprised me too, even for Quebec. It's a really pointless restriction if you ask me...

http://www.saaq.gouv.qc.ca/publications/dossiers_speciaux/modifying_driving.pdf

As far as tire choices go:

Duratracs are basically "the original" winter rated off road tire. Excellent in snow and ice, and can even be studded if it's legal in your area and you need the extra traction. They are also good in most terrain types and are quiet on the road. The guys that run the ice roads up here pretty much swear by them for their pickups. The biggest complaint I've heard about them is they have weak sidewalls compared to other tires. They're also a bit of an older design now (I think they were first released in 2009) compared to the BFGs or Nittos which are both brand new this year, so they don't take advantage of a couple advances in the past few years that the others have.

The new Nitto tires JAGS mentioned are the Exo Grapplers. They look really nice, and can even be studded too. I'd be really tempted to get these if they came in a 37s, but the largest they currently make is 35."

Then there is the KO2s. They basically took the original KO and reengineered it both for winter and to be tougher all around, sidewalls and tread life, etc. The only real advantage the others have over it is that it can't be studded, and that there are limited sizes available at the moment (particularly for 17" wheels). My current plan is to pick up the 37" size when it goes on sale in March.

I hope that helps.

MaaMohTh

Yes it does help but between you and me, there is no way I'm putting ko's on my DD.... serioussly those will get me stuck on pavement!!!... so km2 will be the choice... besides I have a winter set already (which I've been running on since last march!) so with the switch I should be good for 3years is what I'm thinking :)

As for the 35" limitation here... well... it kinda depends on the cop that pulls you over and you "can" get an exemption if you get the JeeP inspected at the S.A.A.Q. but you either gotta know someone there or get checked by an inspector who didn't have time to have his coffee yet! ;)

Clark Collins

Great thanx guys :)
I'll make sure to post a pic with the new shoes :)
probably bfgs at km2 .... they're not too expensive up here at 280 a piece...
and uhmm.. think 35x12.5R15 on stell wheels and a 3" lift is a good idea or you'd go for different size ?

15" steel wheels may not clear your brake calipers.

Top Bottom