Does 35x12.5 tires work with stock suspension and bushwacker flat style fenders

Nick Zambo

Just wondering if anyone has ever tired to do the above. I am certain that they will rub. Just have no proof.

A friend seems to think it will work. (He is not on this form)

With a set of 1.5" wheel spacers it will work with trimmed stock fenders or flat fenders. Sorry to tell you but your buddy is right.

Nick Zambo

Thanks

I will be sure to share this with him. I will also word in such a way that I am less wrong.

Again thanks

jmatta33

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1419905857.999386.jpg 35's on stock JKU sport axles with rubi springs and shocks. very little rubbing only at FULL extension. like 3 wheels on the ground and 1 in the air extension. and even then rubbing is minimal. thats with poison spyder crusher flares and ZERO lift.

2Cross

Caught the Bug
Here's my sons 2 dr with 35" KM2s and trimmed fenders. Had to trim the rock rails and air dam. Doesn't rub at full extension anymore. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1419907799.094618.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1419907814.508863.jpg

Wardell

You will also need to trim your pinch seams, and possibly the plastic air dam under the front bumper, etc. Plus you need wheels that give the right backspacing or wheel adapters / spacers. Like the others have said it could be done with no lift, but it needs a little more than just flat or trimmed fender flares.

Last edited:

Nick Zambo

This is all very valuable information I am getting and I really appreciate it. And as said I will pass along the information.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Just wondering if anyone has ever tired to do the above. I am certain that they will rub. Just have no proof.

A friend seems to think it will work. (He is not on this form)

Take a look at strizzychris's early part of his build (scorpion build thread). He ran 35's with stock flat fenders, 1.5" spidertrax wheel spacers, and a leveling kit. To reduce rubing at the cost of uptravel he added in extended bump stops I believe.

JKHound

I ran 35x12.5 BFG/AT's with flats on stock suspension. Great for the road, very limited off-road.

Attachments

• jk.jpg
    jk.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 187

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Take a look at strizzychris's early part of his build (scorpion build thread). He ran 35's with stock flat fenders, 1.5" spidertrax wheel spacers, and a leveling kit. To reduce rubing at the cost of uptravel he added in extended bump stops I believe.

build thread http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?6825-Scorpicon-Build-Thread&highlight=scorpion+build+thread

and pic of before leveling kit

IMG_20130423_191957_168.jpg

and after leveling kit

attachment.php

jmatta33

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1419950731.390932.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1419950773.364964.jpg

this is a better look at mine at FULL flex. you get a little bit of rubbing but its not bad. those are also steel fenders, so if you went with stock trimmed fenders which A LOT of people on this forum do, you probably wouldnt see any assuming your wheels have at least 4.5" backspacing. Just a side note, I wouldn't recommend aftermarket plastic fenders if you plan on doing a lot of off roading. the stock fenders work so well because you can literally rip them off the jeep on a tree and pop it right back on no problem. The steel fenders that I am running put me at risk for body damage in the event that I hit a tree or rock with them, as they will push in the sheet metal body before they give out. Just something to think about if you plan to eventually do some serious off roading.

jmatta33

one more side note lol, a coil spacer lift on my jeep would likely eliminate rubbing all together, and those can be had for very cheap. So scrap the bushwackers, trim the stock fenders, put on some 35's, and get a budget boost and you'll be good to go.

Top Bottom