JW Speaker LED issues

Dr.McNinja

I put in my new JW speaker headlights after waiting patiently for the anti-flicker harnesses to arrive. Put them in, turned them on. Low beams were fine. Passenger high beam didn't come on. So then I swapped the lights, same problem. Swapped the harnesses with the lights, same problem, always the passenger. Put the old lights in, they were doing it to. I found that strange.
But since I don't use the high beams much, I figured I would go ahead and put in the new lights and figure out a solution. Went out for a drive, and suddenly the high beams both worked. But when I turned them off, the low beams didn't come back on. Playing with the switch didn't matter, but turning it off and on fixed that problem. The passenger high beam intermittently still doesn't work, so I'm not sure if this is a CanBUS problem, a wiring problem, or a clockspring problem (already replaced it once).

Anyone have any suggestions?

I don't recall the high beam not working on the right prior to the new lights, but again, I don't use them that often, so it's probably been a month or more. When I turn my right turn signal on, my foglights turn off, but that's not new and I assume that's the clockspring.

Lastly, here's a couple "from the driver's seat" comparisons of stock beams and my new lights. Had to seriously reaim the new ones.
20141230_210657.jpg 20141231_220550.jpg

IBeHeWhoIsJoshua

What harnesses are you using? The Trucklite ones have crappy connectors and have been giving me a lot of problems. JW Speaker also claims the trucklite harnesses are not compatible with their headlights, I think it's just a warranty technicality though. You seem to be having a more serious problem then the headlights. Have you tried putting the stock headlights in to see if your problems persist? Would be the quickest easiest way to start narrowing down your problem. If your fog lights and turn signals are some how having issues also I don't see the JW Speaker lights being the cause but also the victim of another issue.

Dr.McNinja

Went ahead with the JW Speaker harnesses as well. When I spend that much on the lights, spending a little more on the harness gives me the security of the warranty being honored.

Yep. As mentioned, when we put the old lights on, the high beam problem was still happening. It seems like it's settle down for now. Maybe it just had to cycle a few times for the CanBUS to figure out what was going on.

Dr.McNinja

I figured it had to do with the capacitors in the anti flicker harness. So I tried some of the cheaper trucklite non-anti-flicker harnesses.
Unsurprisingly, both beams worked. But of course, they flickered. So then I tried the AFM in the driver's side, and the regular harness on the passenger side.
And that's the fix. For some reason, keeping the module on the driver's side lets the high beam work on the passenger side, and it also doesn't flicker. Not sure if the passenger light is in series with the driver's or what, but it works for me. Maybe it will work for other people as well.

Last edited:

Patrick

Another reported issue is the time lag....maybe as much as 3 seconds when switch down FROM high beam to low beam. I understand the JWS harness may have been updated around 10thDec'14 but I'm not aware that it's fully addressed this.

ssgp2

Got my Evo II with anti flicker harness January 19th and have no problems and no delays in flashing the lights.

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
I figured it had to do with the capacitors in the anti flicker harness. So I tried some of the cheaper trucklite non-anti-flicker harnesses.
Unsurprisingly, both beams worked. But of course, they flickered. So then I tried the AFM in the driver's side, and the regular harness on the passenger side.
And that's the fix. For some reason, keeping the module on the driver's side lets the high beam work on the passenger side, and it also doesn't flicker. Not sure if the passenger light is in series with the driver's or what, but it works for me. Maybe it will work for other people as well.

Weird - I have harnesses on both sides and zero issues.

Dr.McNinja

Another reported issue is the time lag....maybe as much as 3 seconds when switch down FROM high beam to low beam. I understand the JWS harness may have been updated around 10thDec'14 but I'm not aware that it's fully addressed this.
Mine had a slight delay, but not 3 seconds. Perhaps 0.5. Noticeable, but not huge. Because I've only got the AFM on the driver's side, it goes off just a hair slower than the passenger side.
Weird - I have harnesses on both sides and zero issues.
I don't have any problems with mine either, now. It's weird how the canbus only wants the capacitors on one side.

Top Bottom