2012 and '13/14 Seat Cover Compatability

klemb

I have a 2012 JKU Sport and am wanting to change the seat covers to the OEM '13 and newer JKU's. The only problem I have is I can't find any proof showing the '13/'14 seat covers will/will not work on 2011-2012 JKU. Now I know that '07-'10 are one set of seats with complete different frames and molding, so I'm not looking to find out if those years are interchangeable.

I see different companies stating some seat covers will fit '11-'14, but don't know if they are just referring to seat covers that pull over the original seat covers, or seat covers where you take off the OEM covers and install new covers.

So what I'm trying to figure out is:

1) Will the '13/'14 OEM JKU/R seat covers fit the '12 JKU?
IF YES: Did you do it personally or know somebody who has done it?
IF NO: GO TO #2 (How do you know it will not fit?)

2) If not: A) is it because the the seat cover stitching/molding/frame is completely different?
B) are the '13/'14 seat larger / wider / longer / taller?
C) is the padding just different?
i) if so, GO TO #3

3) if just the padding is different, can I install foam padding to the raised area under the seat cover?

If you say "just get oem seats from '13/'14 JKU from craigslist, you'll save money and time", that is not true. I've looked into it and cost 3 times more than seat covers.

Any knowledge on this "mod" will benefit more than just me because I can't be the only one on here that likes the creature comforts of the jeep.

Benito

Caught the Bug
I feel certain that the the '11 cloth seats are definitely different then the '13 rubicon leather seats, I know this from having an '11 Sahara and a 13 rubicon

Christarp

fairly certain the '13 and '14 seats are completely different from the '12 seats. I think the changeover happened like this 2007-2010, 2011 - 2012 (2007 - 2012 might have the same basic frame and shape, i don't know), 2013+

I think the 2013+ seats were sourced from the grand cherokee frame and as such they are different from the 2012's.

see:
2013_Wrangler_seat.jpg

and:
2012_jeep_wrangler_frontseat.jpg

The top is 2013, and the bottom is 2012. There is a big fundamental difference in the seats and I imagine nothing is interchangeable.

Last edited:

klemb

Yeah, I see the difference, just when companies advertised "fits '11-'14", it gave me hope... Oh well. I'll have to look for '13+ jk seats.

Top Bottom