What Stereo?!

ZombieLunchBox

So couldnt find a thread on this on here and it seems all the ones i find on google are from 2011 and back so kinda out dated to this. What Stereo are my friends here running?! Anyone have problems with rain with touch screen? Ordering my Rubi this month and dont know if i should bother spending the extra money on the nice Stereo or not :beer::beer:

srosario

These is my set up

Attachments

• 1420549639424.jpg
    1420549639424.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 172
  • 1420549797831.jpg
    1420549797831.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 172

Wardell

I have the 430n with the older (2014 and earlier) Alpine premium sound system. The Alpine sound system that is available for 2015 models is supposedly improved (better speakers, an additional speaker, relocated subwoofer, etc). I haven't been able to compare them, but from what I've heard I don't think there is a significant difference in sound quality between them. Either way, mine sounds nice and really doesn't leave me wanting anything better.

Considering the Wrangler is a convertible, I personally don't think you need anything better speakers than the premium sound system you can get stock. With a hard top that isn't insulated, a soft top, or when you have the top down and doors off, you probably won't notice very much improvement due to road / wind noise or sound from the radio being lost to the environment. That said, I'm not an audiophile either, so someone who is really up on sound system tech can probably explain otherwise.

If you're asking about which head unit to go with, I guess you need to ask yourself if you want Sirius satellite radio or not, if you want nav or not, and how big a touch screen you want, and go from there. The Uconnect website goes over their specs, but in a nutshell the 130 is just a basic AM/FM radio & CD player, while the others have Sirius satellite radio, an internal hard drive for playing mp3s (etc), and a 6.5" touch screen and Bluetooth (if you have the connectivity package). The nav versions are slightly different from each other. 430n is based on Garmin software and road maps while the 730n is based on Navteq. The 730n also lets you have traffic updates from Sirius and lets you input destinations by voice, though anyone I've talked to says its voice nav is bad and it's faster / easier to pull over and input your destination by hand. The other big thing to keep in mind is that the nav systems were designed for on road use only, so while they're fine for getting around town they are useless in the field and you will likely want to get a hiking / outdoors GPS anyway (there's another thread going on that here).

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
I have the 430n with the older (2014 and earlier) Alpine premium sound system. The Alpine sound system that is available for 2015 models is supposedly improved (better speakers, an additional speaker, relocated subwoofer, etc). I haven't been able to compare them, but from what I've heard I don't think there is a significant difference in sound quality between them. Either way, mine sounds nice and really doesn't leave me wanting anything better.

Considering the Wrangler is a convertible, I personally don't think you need anything better speakers than the premium sound system you can get stock. With a hard top that isn't insulated, a soft top, or when you have the top down and doors off, you probably won't notice very much improvement due to road / wind noise or sound from the radio being lost to the environment. That said, I'm not an audiophile either, so someone who is really up on sound system tech can probably explain otherwise.

If you're asking about which head unit to go with, I guess you need to ask yourself if you want Sirius satellite radio or not, if you want nav or not, and how big a touch screen you want, and go from there. The Uconnect website goes over their specs, but in a nutshell the 130 is just a basic AM/FM radio & CD player, while the others have Sirius satellite radio, an internal hard drive for playing mp3s (etc), and a 6.5" touch screen and Bluetooth (if you have the connectivity package). The nav versions are slightly different from each other. 430n is based on Garmin software and road maps while the 730n is based on Navteq. The 730n also lets you have traffic updates from Sirius and lets you input destinations by voice, though anyone I've talked to says its voice nav is bad and it's faster / easier to pull over and input your destination by hand. The other big thing to keep in mind is that the nav systems were designed for on road use only, so while they're fine for getting around town they are useless in the field and you will likely want to get a hiking / outdoors GPS anyway (there's another thread going on that here).

It's really about the same if you ask me, I've owned both. It's fine, but if I had the choice I'd go aftermarket. The 430N, while decent, is far from good.

ZombieLunchBox

Thanks! im not a big "Audiophile" Either. i think ill be fine with whatever speakers it comes with. I was mostly wonerding about haveing a touchscreen because getting hit by some rain with the top off i did know if it would mess with touch screens or not. or if the touch screen i could get as a option would be fine.

It's really about the same if you ask me, I've owned both. It's fine, but if I had the choice I'd go aftermarket. The 430N, while decent, is far from good.

Thanks!

Wethy

just an option.... maybe look into marine stereos, since they are designed for marine use a lot of them have sealed casings that dont allow water to get in and have a "anti rust" coating on them to help prolong life. just a thought. i dont think you'll find a touchscreen deck but its been a few years since i looked at em

ZombieLunchBox

just an option.... maybe look into marine stereos, since they are designed for marine use a lot of them have sealed casings that dont allow water to get in and have a "anti rust" coating on them to help prolong life. just a thought. i dont think you'll find a touchscreen deck but its been a few years since i looked at em

Ill check them out tonight! thanks!

Wethy

Ill check them out tonight! thanks!

no worries just thought of it as an option for you since you seemed very worried about the rain with the top down. i myself always just put the top up and leave the windows out if i think theres a chance of rain
:beer:

shortyokc

i have a pioneer touch screen avh-p8400bh but have not had any experience with water in the radio yet. one of the downfalls of the touch screen with the top off is sometimes the glare really makes it hard to see especially with sunglasses on. if your worried about rain i would do as others suggested and get marine rated gear...

Top Bottom