body mount vs bumper mount tire carrier

shortyokc

hopefully early this year i will be getting a tire carrier of some sort but keep going back and forth between styles. if i go the bumper mount it will be the LOD gen 4 door linked shorty or the crawler conceptz ultra series bumper/carrier combo. if i do the body mount it will be the evo, gen right, or the new poison spyder. the only thing throwing me off the evo is the rear skins whick i really dont need and is additional cost. and opinions on one style vs the other? probably 37" tire will be in the future and possibly 2 rotopax mounts.

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
hopefully early this year i will be getting a tire carrier of some sort but keep going back and forth between styles. if i go the bumper mount it will be the LOD gen 4 door linked shorty or the crawler conceptz ultra series bumper/carrier combo. if i do the body mount it will be the evo, gen right, or the new poison spyder. the only thing throwing me off the evo is the rear skins whick i really dont need and is additional cost. and opinions on one style vs the other? probably 37" tire will be in the future and possibly 2 rotopax mounts.

I really think either are fine. I prefer the frame mount myself, just because it's easier to change out and you know it will hold with no issues. In terms of holding power I think both will be fine, but obviously the body mods required aren't as easily changeable or reversible. Hope that helps with your decision making!

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I originally went genright cuz I had never planned on running corner skins, and it made the most sense cuz I wanted the spare protected a little more than on a bumper mounted one. I now have the evo corners but will be keeping the genright I think.

Mitrig

Man I know the feeling, I have been flip flopping back and fourth. I'm running an Evo shackle setup now so I've finally committed to getting a body mounted one...but now which one...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Up to a 37" tire, a bumper mounted tire carrier like what LoD makes is probably what I would go with unless you do a lot of high speed bombing through the desert. The LoD is just so much easier to use and offers useful options that I sometimes miss. A body mounted tire carrier like what EVO makes is definitely the way you should go with anything bigger than a 37" spare and/or if you do a lot of high speed bombing through the desert.

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
Up to a 37" tire, a bumper mounted tire carrier like what LoD makes is probably what I would go with unless you do a lot of high speed bombing through the desert. The LoD is just so much easier to use and offers useful options that I sometimes miss. A body mounted tire carrier like what EVO makes is definitely the way you should go with anything bigger than a 37" spare and/or if you do a lot of high speed bombing through the desert.

So true - mostly because the bumper carriers usually only have the single point of load so they tend to get bouncy compared to something like the body mounted EVO that is really going to be locked to your body. Whoops will make those bumper mounted carriers really jiggle a lot.

For you specifically shortyokc, you'll so rarely if ever hit that kind of terrain, I'd still go bumper mount if it was me.

TheStick

I am pretty much dead set on the LOD combo. One thing to consider seeing your OP, the linked version does not work with the trail basket on top. This is something I want as I tend to pack way too much *stuff* :D

jeeeep

Hooked
rear bumper dilemma...this is why after 3 years of trying to decide I still have the stock bumper which has worked fine for the 35 but I'm moving to 37's as soon as the KO2's are available so it's back to the selection board.

What I can't seem to find is a bumper that will easily carry fuel and the basics (jack, shovel) easily and without jacking up the price another $500.

Seems by now this should be standard on a rear bumper...let's peacefully protest and buy more stuff! :cheesy:

shortyokc

i think at this point i will probably do the lod since it probably best suits my needs without having to drill into my body and add crush panels. i wanted the door linked carrier for ease of access but kinda wanted the top carrier for road trips and i guess this isnt a option for the door linked models. my other concern is if i get rear ended with the door linked version if there is a stop to keep the carrier from pushing itself into the body of the jeep or totally caving in the tailgate. the standard version had the latch assembly to stop it to a point.. thanks everyone for their input:D

i wanted the door linked carrier for ease of access but kinda wanted the top carrier for road trips and i guess this isnt a option for the door linked models.

PM JK_b/c_yolo - I think there is a "UN-Official" answer to this that you might be pleased with ref the top rack and linked carrier

bkac

Caught the Bug
It works just fine, I have the linked Gen 4 rack, trail rack, and Jerry cans, it works great!

Attachments

• 1420584976233.jpg
    1420584976233.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 207
  • 1420584996806.jpg
    1420584996806.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 200

sjd78

It works just fine, I have the linked Gen 4 rack, trail rack, and Jerry cans, it works great!

Wow, I thought you could only mount a jerry can on the passenger side. Nice to see it can be done on both sides since I ordered my bumper last week! Would you mind posting some full size pictures?

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Also consider expeditionONE. Their carrier is linked (opens with tailgate) and the carrier arm, spindle, and nut are massive. They also have fuel carrying provisions and a hilift mount as well for it. A very very stout piece of kit, and I love mine. I should say that LOD was a very close second for me (they both look great) but what made me go with exp1 was the fact that it can carry two 4 gallon rotopax units which I already owned and the Lod couldn't.

bkac

Caught the Bug
Ok, so I was told they don't recommend it but it works just fine, they said it will hold the weight with no issues. it doesn't rattle any more after some fine tune adjustments. They say it puts added stress on the rear door. I ran the entire rubicon with the jerry cans full of water, a full trasharoo, hi lift jack, and stuff on the trail rack. Zero issues. It's actually pretty easy to open too. I'll post some more photos tomorrow.

Rccrwlr

i think at this point i will probably do the lod since it probably best suits my needs without having to drill into my body and add crush panels. i wanted the door linked carrier for ease of access but kinda wanted the top carrier for road trips and i guess this isnt a option for the door linked models. my other concern is if i get rear ended with the door linked version if there is a stop to keep the carrier from pushing itself into the body of the jeep or totally caving in the tailgate. the standard version had the latch assembly to stop it to a point.. thanks everyone for their input:D

Any thought on the Hanson JKRTC2-P: JK REAR SPINDLE BUMPER w/SQUARE FRAME TIRE CARRIER

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1420608268.471596.jpg .
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1420608288.803945.jpg .

CARGO BASKET COMPATIBLE! Bumper is made of 3/16" steel, that is laser cut and formed. It has a drop down deck in it to allow the rear tire to be mounted lower. It also has a built in 2" class 2 receiver for hauling and towing. The tire carrier is all new and similar to our TJ square frame unit. It features a 3/16" upper latch plate that mounts to the tailgate and will accept all Hanson cargo packages! The tire carrier, carries a 37" tire with no problems or rattles. It will carry a 48" HiLift as shown in the picture.
Newly Updated! All Hanson JK Square Frame Tire Carriers now ship with our new relay rod configuration. The tailgate and tire carrier open as a single unit by pushing the tailgate button. An adjustable double-ended heim assembly makes this possible with our standard carrier and tailgate mount plate.
JKRTC2-P (POWDERCOATED BLACK)
JKRTC2 (BARE STEEL)

In fact I think someone on here has on for sale and with a few mods could easily add the door link and basket.

PM OverlanderJK

Last edited:

bkac

Caught the Bug
It's all LoD. Gen4 linked stubby carrier, Jerry can mounts and their trail rack. The carrier part is basically the exact same as the non linked rack. So both Gen 4 carriers use the same accessories.

Rccrwlr

It's all LoD. Gen4 linked stubby carrier, Jerry can mounts and their trail rack. The carrier part is basically the exact same as the non linked rack. So both Gen 4 carriers use the same accessories.

Lasted on the Rubicon carting all of his families heavy sheet! Looked good doing it too.

Top Bottom