Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tire/Rim/Lift advice

Question Tire/Rim/Lift advice

I've been wanting to replace the stock 18" rims on my 2013 4door Sahara with Black rims. Originally I thought I'd get 18" new black rims and reuse the tires. Seems like the selection of 18" rims is a lot smaller and then if I wanted to go to 33" tires in the future they are more expensive. So I've been looking at the two packages below from quadratec.com They are similar prices, one being 2200 and the other 2400. So my questions are:

Daystar 1.75" Lift Kit with Shocks + Baja Xtreme™ Quadratec Wheels in Black + Mickey Thompson 33" ATZ Tires for 07-15 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK
    http://www.quadratec.com/products/92615_22X5_QP2_PG.htm

ProComp 1.75" Leveling Kit with 33" A/T Tires and Series 51 Steel Wheels for 07-15 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK
    http://www.quadratec.com/products/16085_0414_QP_PG.htm

One of these two you'd recommend over the other, and why?
    A better way of accomplishing the same thing for a similar price - lets say under 3K? I hate to buy the cheapest thing out there and want to replace it later.

This is mostly just for looks...my off roading is really some dirt roads and fire trails - unfortunately not much more available around here and haven't taken the time to go elsewhere.

These are real easy for me because its one click shopping - I still find myself confused looking at other sites trying to put together tire and rim packages. A third option I was considering were

Pro Comp Xtreme All Terrain Radial Tire in 285/70R17 on Pro Comp Series 7069 Alloy Wheel in 17x9 Size Qty 5 for 13-15 Jeep® Vehicles with 5x5 Bolt Pattern

http://www.quadratec.com/products/92...0X_P5_B_PG.htm

To get the procomps in alloy and then picking out a bb to go along with it.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Knows a Thing or Two
    If you aren't doing any serious wheeling, either will work fine. It kind of depends on your preference. I have a 2" budget boost running 35's. You will have plenty of room with 33's.

The big question is steel vs aluminum. I like steel because they are cheap to replace if they get destroyed. I bend alot of rims. I don't think you will have a problem with either package.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkW13 View Post
    The big question is steel vs aluminum. I like steel because they are cheap to replace if they get destroyed. I bend alot of rims. I don't think you will have a problem with either package.
    I was always under the impression that Aluminum/Alloy was less likely to bend? And Steel got damaged easier? Is this not correct?

Anybody else have any thoughts on the two? Alternatives?

Knows a Thing or Two
    Steel doesn't look as bad when it gets messed up. If you break aluminum, its just broke. Doesn't bend. I can beat a steel rim back to a functional condition on the trail.

Well, personally I think that those options are a bit on the pricey side. I do suggest dropping down to a 17" rim as your tire choices increase. I know that steel rim weighs a lot more than an alloy rim and that could affect your mpg (just a guess, no actual experience). If you contact Discount Tire they will be able to help you with anmore affordable rim and tire package (and free shipping). If you are going to stick to 33" and continue to use your jeep the way you described, you dont need a leveling kit like the ones you posted.

I would trim the fenders and put 33-35" tires on it. 33s you just have to trim the air dam a little. 35s you trim the rock rail a little.
    Bam! No lift and the tires you want. My sons 2dr has 35" KM2s with no lift. I run a 2.5" lift with trimmed fenders and 37" tires.

There are several YouTube vids that show this technique. It's almost free
    Took me 2 hours on my sons 2dr by myself.
    2dr
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1420421823.163715.jpg
    Willys / 1949 CJ3A
    Autumn Yellow
    2.2 Ecotec to th350
    HEMI / 2011 JKUR
    Sahara Tan
    UNNAMED / 2012 JKR
    Ruby Red

Took me a month or so to decide but I went with Mickey Thompson Wheels in Black with Mickey Thompson ATZ P3 LT 305/65R17. I love the way they look.. Ride is definitely a little rougher than the stock but worth it 😀

No lift for now.. These fit just fine. Thanks to those who gave their opinions!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by westchester13jk View Post
    Took me a month or so to decide but I went with Mickey Thompson Wheels in Black with Mickey Thompson ATZ P3 LT 305/65R17. I love the way they look.. Ride is definitely a little rougher than the stock but worth it 😀

No lift for now.. These fit just fine. Thanks to those who gave their opinions!
    That is a beautiful color! Hope you like the new tires btw

Quote Originally Posted by jman_12 View Post
    That is a beautiful color! Hope you like the new tires btw
    Thank you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast