Sleeve and Gusset or Axle Trusses?

AlwaysCrawling

I need some advice on what to do with my stock axles. Here's the situation. I have the stock 44s front and back and don't have the money to swap out to 60s or any aftermarket 44. So I'm thinking of either sleeving and gusseting them with this kit http://www.teraflex.biz/jk-axle-sleeve-and-gusset-kit.html or trussing them with this kit http://www.artecindustries.com/JK-Front-Axle-ARMOR-KIT_p_309.html. I wheel fairly hard and have snapped my housing in the past so I need to do something. Which option do you think is stronger and why? Let me know Thanks!

I need some advice on what to do with my stock axles. Here's the situation. I have the stock 44s front and back and don't have the money to swap out to 60s or any aftermarket 44. So I'm thinking of either sleeving and gusseting them with this kit http://www.teraflex.biz/jk-axle-sleeve-and-gusset-kit.html or trussing them with this kit http://www.artecindustries.com/JK-Front-Axle-ARMOR-KIT_p_309.html. I wheel fairly hard and have snapped my housing in the past so I need to do something. Which option do you think is stronger and why? Let me know Thanks!

Save your money for a better housing up front. I am not a fan of sleeves at all, and many truss installs leave the housing more bent than when it was before, yet have proven not to prevent further bending.

The rear axle should be fine for your 35s (If your profile is correct). (Honestly, the front should last a long time.)

All this said, you know your wheeling style more than anyone, If you need more go for it, but don't bother polishing a turd.

Last edited:

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Well honestly, I wouldn't waste money on either. The sleeves don't strengthen the axle where you need it most, at the tube/pumpkin. Trusses are known to bend your axle due to the welding (even the best welder).

My recommendation would be to wheel your axle until it breaks, in the meantime save for a PR44 housing. Since you already have a D44 they sell a housing that will accept your stock internals. This will save you plenty of $$$.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Couldn't agree more with what the guys above said. Save your money and just wheel your Jeep as it until you "need" to upgrade your axle or can afford to upgrade to something like a ProRock 44. Your rear will be fine with just running a set of 35's.

AlwaysCrawling

Thanks guys,

I do plan to upgrade to 37s in a year or two but I think I just leave her as is for now and not do the sleeving or trussing.

jeeeep

Hooked
I'd recommend what all others have stated, minimum gusset the C's but other than that save for a PR44 or similar.

I had a D44 Rubi and swapped out all the internals to a PR44 Unlmt.

It's easy to go crazy and think you have to upgrade everything at once and the 6k+ price of a PR44 becomes harder to think about. However, if you get just the housing and swap your D44 internals you do get a strong setup allowing you to save for future lockers etc as things wear out or break. if you can do it yourself or have friends to help you can save on labor costs.

sjd78

Stay as far away from sleeves and trusses as you can. I wish I would have heeded the warnings and I wouldn't be replacing my OEM d44 with only 5k miles on it with a pr44 unlimited. It's one hell of an expensive lesson learned....listen to these guys, they know what they're talking about!

Tanner505

Not to high jack the thread but what's the big difference between the arb pr44 and the rubicon pr44 I know with the rubicon one it accepts all the oem parts but I want to buy everything once and have no regrets on it, what's your guys opinion on it

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Not to high jack the thread but what's the big difference between the arb pr44 and the rubicon pr44 I know with the rubicon one it accepts all the oem parts but I want to buy everything once and have no regrets on it, what's your guys opinion on it

The Rubicon PR44 will allow you to swap over you Rubicon 44 internals like the lockers and axles. The ARB version is meant for you to install an ARB locker and new shafts. You cannot get a Rubicon 44 now and then upgrade to an ARB setup later. If you can afford it, I would get the ARB version.

Slavens

Caught the Bug
I am on 37's now, I just did the C's and Gussets and here i am about to order a PR44 less the 60 Days after dropping $800.00 on it. Bottom line is weather it gives the 33% more strength or not it doesnt give you the piece of mind that you hope you would have gotten from it.

Save and go PR44

Txjkjpr

I've been struggling with the same thing. I run 35's and have a D30 in the front. I've already spent money re-gearing a putting in Eaton eLockers, so I have a significant investment already. Did that before I really did my research. I also rationalized it by telling myself that I don't do really "hard" trails...1,2,3 but I have been running more and more technically difficult trails. Thought about sleeving and gussets, but I stopped read some board recommendations and have decided to run what I have, save, save and save and when it goes do a complete upgrade to a PR44 front.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It sucks that you've already put money into your factory D30 but, better to stop while you're ahead then to keep on throwing money at something you'll never really be able to justify when all is said and done. As you have mentioned, just play with what you got until you can afford a real upgrade - trust me, you'll be happier that you did.

CJW

The Rubicon PR44 will allow you to swap over you Rubicon 44 internals like the lockers and axles. The ARB version is meant for you to install an ARB locker and new shafts. You cannot get a Rubicon 44 now and then upgrade to an ARB setup later. If you can afford it, I would get the ARB version.

For the rubicon version: It will still fit an ARB for a stock rubicon though right? You just can't run the larger one with bigger axle shafts?...Right or wrong? I thought there was a version with slightly beefier axles or something?? Hard to keep it all straight lol.

Txjkjpr

It sucks that you've already put money into your factory D30 but, better to stop while you're ahead then to keep on throwing money at something you'll never really be able to justify when all is said and done. As you have mentioned, just play with what you got until you can afford a real upgrade - trust me, you'll be happier that you did.

Yep. $2100 in parts and labor would have gone a long way in getting the right axle. Lessoned learned.

Txjkjpr

Ouch.... I would wheel it til it dies and go pr44

That's the plan. Just priced a PR44 from Northridge and I would be half way there if I'd of saved my money. Even getting all the bells and whistles. Lessons learned. If I break it then the wife has to let me fix it, right? :brows:

Tanner505

That's the plan. Just priced a PR44 from Northridge and I would be half way there if I'd of saved my money. Even getting all the bells and whistles. Lessons learned. If I break it then the wife has to let me fix it, right? :brows:

Check out offroadevolution.com as well they have a few more options than northridge4x4.com lists but I'm sure if you called them they could get whatever you need

Txjkjpr

Check out offroadevolution.com as well they have a few more options than northridge4x4.com lists but I'm sure if you called them they could get whatever you need

Thanks, I checked them out before, both are pretty close in price, but was actually able to get a better price from Northridge even with RCV axle shafts. I plan to keep running the Eaton eLockers which saves me some money vs the ARB's.

Tanner505

Thanks, I checked them out before, both are pretty close in price, but was actually able to get a better price from Northridge even with RCV axle shafts. I plan to keep running the Eaton eLockers which saves me some money vs the ARB's.

How do you like the eatons I've been debating between them and arbs

Txjkjpr

How do you like the eatons I've been debating between them and arbs

Love them. I was going to go ARB just like everyone else, but I started to get some feedback from quite a few people. Air leaks, solenoid problems, the extra cost of the compressor (though it does have other purposes so when you figure in that it really isn't that much of an extra). Then last weekend really justified my choice. We were wheeling in about -15 degree's and 3 rigs had their air lines freeze up and wouldn't engage the lockers. Me no issues what so ever, push the button and done. I'd do my research, but I have been extremely happy.

Top Bottom