I think I need to head back out to the Salton Sea

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just read a cool, or maybe I should say "hot" article about the Salton Sea and how it's now being considered an "active" volcanic field. Check it out...

Salton Sea Volcano Mystery Solved
MoonsetRockHillDec.jpg1351176864

Earthquake swarms and a region-wide rotten egg smell recently reminded Southern California residents they live next to an active volcano field, tiny though it may be.

At the time, scientists said the phenomena did not reflect changes in the magma chamber below the Salton Sea. But now, researchers may need to revise estimates of the potential hazard posed by the Salton Buttes — five volcanoes at the lake's southern tip.

The buttes last erupted between 940 and 0 B.C., not 30,000 years ago, as previously thought, a new study detailed online Oct. 15 in the journal Geology reports. The new age — which makes these some of California's youngest volcanoes — pushes the volcanic quintuplets into active status. The California Volcano Observatory, launched in February by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS), already lists the area as a high threat for future blasts...

Read the whole article here:
http://news.yahoo.com/salton-sea-volcano-mystery-solved-182258381.html

It's been a while since we've been out to the mud pots out there and now I want to check out the Salton Buttes which are nearby. Guess I'm gonna have to plan a trip out there soon :yup:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Ill be out there next week. (Nov 6th ish) I will check this out more in depth for sure now. Ill post pictures when I get back.

Nicholas

wayoflife said:
Just read a cool, or maybe I should say "hot" article about the Salton Sea and how it's now being considered an "active" volcanic field. Check it out...

It's been a while since we've been out to the mud pots out there and now I want to check out the Salton Buttes which are nearby. Guess I'm gonna have to plan a trip out there soon :yup:

I'm down for a field trip!

Top Bottom