Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY Removable Mud Guards

DIY Removable Mud Guards

I could just buy a removable mud guard kit but I prefer to fabricate them because I didn't like how small they looked on a few of the rigs that I've seen them on so far. I also want them to work if I'm going to run them, not just satisfy several different states' laws.

Here is what I designed literally on a sheet of paper over the holidays.
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1421024003.857901.jpg
    Not the best picture...but hopefully it's good enough to make the designs out. Nothing complicated, but it will give me the ability to move the guards from the from the rear brackets to the front ones and vice versa when desired.

I purchase a set of tractor trailer style mud flaps off of Amazon a few months ago in preparation for this. I bought the steel stock at Home Depot out of convenience since there aren't any steel shops near me. I didn't get the exact size square tubing that I wanted (ended up going with 1" and 3/4" diameter) that would tightly fit inside of each other, but I'll just build up the smaller tubing so they fit snug enough.

Here is what I bought to build the brackets, removable mud flap hangers, fasteners and installation pins:
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1421024517.365570.jpg

This may seem crazy but I cut everything (including the hanger end caps) using my vise and a hack saw. I wanted to pick up a chop saw but I couldn't justify the purchase for this project to myself.
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1421024713.580691.jpg

Here are all of the components cut to size:
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1421024743.372295.jpg

Now I need to drill all of the holes and then weld everything together to make the rails and brackets. Once all of that's done it will be time to paint and then install. Hopefully I'll get a chance later in the week to get some of that work done.

I think the project is going to take me a few weeks to complete. We shall see.

Any suggestions / recommendations are welcome at this early of the fabrication.

-Matt

-
    I love the idea of DIY projects and saving money and or making something better than someone else. But, I don't see much different different from the other designs and frankly for the time you have into it already you could of had theseImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1421027758.152649.jpg. You still need to weld them, paint and then assemble and install.

I certainly see you point. I frankly wanted to build mine beefer than that kit. I also wanted to make sure that the flaps would run down to at most an inch from the road so they work. I've seen most of those kits installed and the lower portion of the mud guard is more than 3 inches off the road which frankly doesn't do much beside satisfy the mud guard laws in the states that have them.

The mud guards that I'm going to use are 24" long and I'm going to trim them down width wise from 18.5" to 11" to match the width of my 35" NITTO EXO Grapplers. Once the brackets are installed I'll shorten them height wise so they hang just an inch or so off the ground.

Got some more work done this weekend. Everything is cut to size, drilled to fit, etc.
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1421704856.739928.jpg.

What's left: weld everything, paint it all, attach the mud guards, then mount the brackets onto the Jeep.

Hopefully I'll finish it up by February.

You can always buy something- but there is nothing like the feeling of doing it yourself! Looks like a good project.

so how do the finished flaps look?

I haven't been stopped as yet for the need of this, will probably wait until then.
    2011 JKU Stone White Rubicon
    Chazak ve Amatz! חֲזַ֖ק וֶאֱמָ֑ץ Be Strong & Courageous! Joshua 1:6
    "praesis ut prosis ne ut imperes"

Sorry guys I haven't gotten to weld them up yet. My Dynatrac ProGrip brake kit arrived a couple of days ago and I jumped projects to install the brakes. I'm busy "loosening" my parking brakes this afternoon. Hopefully I'll have some time this week to start the welding. It's going take me couple of weeks to finish this. Sorry for the delay.

Not That Kind of Engineer olram30's Avatar
    Can't wait for the "beefier than evo" finished product.

I never said "beefer than EVO"..., but unlike the kit most people buy the rails will not be full of holes and the mud guards will cover the tires.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast