DIY Removable Mud Guards

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
I could just buy a removable mud guard kit but I prefer to fabricate them because I didn't like how small they looked on a few of the rigs that I've seen them on so far. I also want them to work if I'm going to run them, not just satisfy several different states' laws.

Here is what I designed literally on a sheet of paper over the holidays.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1421024003.857901.jpg
Not the best picture...but hopefully it's good enough to make the designs out. Nothing complicated, but it will give me the ability to move the guards from the from the rear brackets to the front ones and vice versa when desired.

I purchase a set of tractor trailer style mud flaps off of Amazon a few months ago in preparation for this. I bought the steel stock at Home Depot out of convenience since there aren't any steel shops near me. I didn't get the exact size square tubing that I wanted (ended up going with 1" and 3/4" diameter) that would tightly fit inside of each other, but I'll just build up the smaller tubing so they fit snug enough.

Here is what I bought to build the brackets, removable mud flap hangers, fasteners and installation pins:
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1421024517.365570.jpg

This may seem crazy but I cut everything (including the hanger end caps) using my vise and a hack saw. I wanted to pick up a chop saw but I couldn't justify the purchase for this project to myself.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1421024713.580691.jpg

Here are all of the components cut to size:
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1421024743.372295.jpg

Now I need to drill all of the holes and then weld everything together to make the rails and brackets. Once all of that's done it will be time to paint and then install. Hopefully I'll get a chance later in the week to get some of that work done.

I think the project is going to take me a few weeks to complete. We shall see.

Any suggestions / recommendations are welcome at this early of the fabrication.

-Matt

I love the idea of DIY projects and saving money and or making something better than someone else. But, I don't see much different different from the other designs and frankly for the time you have into it already you could of had these ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1421027758.152649.jpg . You still need to weld them, paint and then assemble and install.

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
I certainly see you point. I frankly wanted to build mine beefer than that kit. I also wanted to make sure that the flaps would run down to at most an inch from the road so they work. I've seen most of those kits installed and the lower portion of the mud guard is more than 3 inches off the road which frankly doesn't do much beside satisfy the mud guard laws in the states that have them.

The mud guards that I'm going to use are 24" long and I'm going to trim them down width wise from 18.5" to 11" to match the width of my 35" NITTO EXO Grapplers. Once the brackets are installed I'll shorten them height wise so they hang just an inch or so off the ground.

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
Got some more work done this weekend. Everything is cut to size, drilled to fit, etc.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1421704856.739928.jpg .

What's left: weld everything, paint it all, attach the mud guards, then mount the brackets onto the Jeep.

Hopefully I'll finish it up by February.

curtiso504

You can always buy something- but there is nothing like the feeling of doing it yourself! Looks like a good project.

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
Sorry guys I haven't gotten to weld them up yet. My Dynatrac ProGrip brake kit arrived a couple of days ago and I jumped projects to install the brakes. I'm busy "loosening" my parking brakes this afternoon. Hopefully I'll have some time this week to start the welding. It's going take me couple of weeks to finish this. Sorry for the delay.

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
I never said "beefer than EVO"..., but unlike the kit most people buy the rails will not be full of holes and the mud guards will cover the tires.

Hobolobo

I never said "beefer than EVO"..., but unlike the kit most people buy the rails will not be full of holes and the mud guards will cover the tires.

Post #3 looked like it was referring to the evo kit. Regardless, im curious as to how this comes out. Good luck.

metalic

This may seem crazy but I cut everything (including the hanger end caps) using my vise and a hack saw. I wanted to pick up a chop saw but I couldn't justify the purchase for this project to myself.

-Matt

welder and no chop saw.

Get a 4" grinder and some cut off wheels.

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I thought that picture was of the Teraflex Kit. Either way, I'd rather make it myself. If it turns out crappy, then I'll still share it to give everyone a laugh.

In retrospect it would have been easier to use the angle grinder...oh well the hack saw worked.

I checked the fitment of the brackets and measured everything again then tacked the brackets together a little bit ago.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1422240572.848583.jpg

I'm going work on this as I have time over the week.

MTG

Caught the Bug
This is great! Nice work! :thumb:

And I agree, nothing is as satisfying as something you do yourself.

One look at your sketch and I knew this was going to turn out great.

Soon you'll be thinking about chop saws, band saws, plasma cutters and trying to convince yourself you need all of them to do more stuff like this.

Why spend 50 bucks on a mudflap kit when you can spend 10 grand on tools and do it yourself. To me I choose the later every time. Believe me it's a sickness.

David1tontj

. Once the brackets are installed I'll shorten them height wise so they hang just an inch or so off the ground.

Be careful backing up with them on if they're that low. If you back into a curb, rock, etc- it will rip them right off of the flap gets between the tire and the object.

I just bent/ripped off my DIY mudflap by being lazy and wheeling with them on... Backed into a boulder and it just tore it right out- also bent the horizontal support.

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
Thanks guys!

It is a sickness and Harbor Freight is an enabler. Maybe not the best quality toll-wise but most of their products are good enough.

Thanks for the heads-up about not backing up over things with the mud guards on. Frankly that wouldn't have occurred to me until I had learned the hard way.

Hopefully, I'll be able to get some more work done this weekend. The snow kept me busy the last couple of days.

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
Got some more work done over the past couple of days.

Here are a few pics of the progress.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1422827413.494794.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1422827437.627424.jpg

Here's one after I ground the brackets and one of the rails.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1422827485.503356.jpg
I was hoping to finish the grinding, but the cold outside got the best of me. 20 degrees isn't fun to grind outside. So I called it quits when the shivering started. No desire to potentially hurt myself with the grinder or make a serious mistake.

I'm pretty much finished with the welding pending out how the rest of the grinding goes. Once the grinding and test fitting is done, it will be time to paint.

Top Bottom