35 on stock tire carrier

jman_12

Just wondered if a 35 inch tire would be too much strain on the factory tire carrier or if it would hold up a while

Coloradan

I ran 35" Trail Grapplers on Slabs (a pretty heavy combination) on my stock carrier for 5k miles and a few solid days of Colorado wheeling with zero issues, you should be fine.

rinkishjk

I ran 35's on my stock carrier, and it was fine until I backed into something and cracked it and got the genright. Make sure the tire is tight against the bumpstops, and maybe the bumper and you will be fine.

Wardell

Is the stock bumper in the way?

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. The stock carrier should hold the 35s without any issues (as long as you have them isolated so there's no vibrations to cause metal fatigue, like others have mentioned), but I'm not sure if there's enough of a recess in the stock bumper for the bottom of these tires to clear it. I'd have to see a pic of someone's rig that tried it to know for sure.

That said, if you've already upgraded to a better rear bumper, it should fit fine. Most are made to be used with larger tires anyway.

Wardell

Actually, I would say the stock bumper "helps". 35" tire is always not A true"35"'s" so it helps to keep the tire from moving and vibrating.

I think most people realize there's no such thing as a "true 35," or any other "true" size for that matter. Tire sizes are only a classification to allow comparison and check for fit, but they aren't an actual measurement. Even if they did all measure 35" diameter before being mounted, when you take into account different wheel widths for mounting them, tire pressure and the weight of the vehicle, the diameter would have changed too much to make that an accurate measurement anyway.

I agree that as long as the tire is only resting on the bumper it may actually help reduce vibrations, but if it causes too much pressure on the bumper it could actually be more of a problem than help (causing stresses to be transferred to the upper part of the tire carrier, problems closing the tailgate, etc). That's why I'd want to actually see pics or hear from someone who's done this.

:worthless:

Last edited:

TheStick

I have been running this way for almost a year.

One thing to note is I did need an adapter as I am using stock wheels. People with 4.5" of backspacing seem to have no problems without one.

Top Bottom