LED Rock Lights...Red vs Cool/Warm White

ciphershort

So I'm about to jump on the cheap DIY LED rock lights bandwagon and I've noticed that most people use the cool white LEDs. I've seen a few that have used red and I know red doesn't kill your night vision but didn't know if that would put out enough light for a spotter. I've also found one that comes in a warm white which would be closer to stock/non-LED lighting. I'm torn between these lights...

Oznium Premium LED Light Module - 3x5050 LEDs - Either in Cool White, Warm White, or Red - $2.49/module
Jma4.jpg
http://www.oznium.com/premium-led-module

Oznium Square LED Module - 4x3528 LEDs - Either in Cool White or Red - $1.99/module
NJIO.jpg
http://www.oznium.com/square-led-module

Planning on wiring these to a switch as well as make them work with the dome lights so they will be on when the doors open and when I unlock it with the remote. So is there a pro/con to color of white and red? I just want to make sure I'll have usable light where I need it. Since these are so cheap I may even buy some extras to light up footwells in the cab. Night + black interior doesn't help if you drop something in the dark.

07JKSahara

Not sure on red, I did bright white LED. CrippledPetey has green, looks good, and really easy on the eyes IMO. Look at his build thread, I think their in there.

ciphershort

Not sure on red, I did bright white LED. CrippledPetey has green, looks good, and really easy on the eyes IMO. Look at his build thread, I think their in there.

Couldn't find it in his build thread unless I just skimmed over it. Not sure if I'd like the green...

ciphershort

Thanks for the pics! I have no clue how I missed those. Must have skipped a page. :idontknow: I found those on amazon and they look pretty sweet. I think the flat ones I posted originally would be a bit easier to mount in some areas. Maybe a mixed approach would be best. Still not sure on color though... I like the idea of a color that is easier on the eyes but not sure about green. I might order a red and white one and test them out and just see.

UpsideUp

Hey Petey how many lights did you use to get that effect. I notice the link that someone posted for the eagle eyes on Amazon were for 6 lights. Is that how many you used for the front in that picture?

SFNick

I just set up some rock lights & also used some from Amazon. I've had one of these on my jeep for a backup light for over 2 years & it's worked great. This is 6 lights & I'm gonna add 2 more for the rear & maybe another to the side.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1421268237.515523.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1421268213.386428.jpg

ciphershort

I just set up some rock lights & also used some from Amazon. I've had one of these on my jeep for a backup light for over 2 years & it's worked great. This is 6 lights & I'm gonna add 2 more for the rear & maybe another to the side.

That looks sweet! Those are some cheap lights too! Hmm...decisions decisions...

Hey Petey how many lights did you use to get that effect. I notice the link that someone posted for the eagle eyes on Amazon were for 6 lights. Is that how many you used for the front in that picture?

It's two on each side. I have four in the back as well. I took a piece of tin and cut my own brackets. They worked well because I could bend them as needed to get the exact light direction I wanted.

I also have white and red. I'm using the white for backup lights and my wife is using red for her rock lights.

I found them for really cheap on eBay.

Speeddmn

So I dont have the experience with rock lights per say, but having to use a red light for work (military) I can tell you this, you lose a ton of depth perception if the light is not bight enough. Same goes with blue/green/and some yellows. I am also looking into the cheaper LED's for rock lights and just some for show, parades etc. If they are small enough I cant see why you wouldnt be able to just run different colors on different switches. Good luck on your choices.

Side note, if you ever get a fluid leak on the trail, white light will help identify it easier (at night ofcourse). Might be something else to think of.

So I dont have the experience with rock lights per say, but having to use a red light for work (military) I can tell you this, you lose a ton of depth perception if the light is not bight enough. Same goes with blue/green/and some yellows. I am also looking into the cheaper LED's for rock lights and just some for show, parades etc. If they are small enough I cant see why you wouldnt be able to just run different colors on different switches. Good luck on your choices.

Side note, if you ever get a fluid leak on the trail, white light will help identify it easier (at night ofcourse). Might be something else to think of.

In addition if you do a lot of snow/dust runs white reflects the snow/dust back way more than a colored light. You just need to determine where you are going to use them and why. I can tell you that these lights (any color) put off a quite a bit of light.

ciphershort

Thanks. I think I've decided to stick with the white. I've also found these on amazon for a lot cheaper and they look like the same light just in a white casing. I don't really care what color the casing is and could always paint them black. $9.99 for a strip of 10 lights. Effectively $1/light. Plus it is Prime eligible so 2-day free shipping for me! :rock:

81cwIdEu5eL._SL1500_.jpg

edit: forgot the link...http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B2HK0LY/ref=gno_cart_title_1

RyanV8

My $.02 will be inserted now :D

I purchased some inexpensive LED HOTSYSTEM lights https://4wdlife.com/best-rock-lights#1
I've seen other members with these too

They're great lights and really light up the ground with a good flood pattern. I ran 6 on each side of the jeep with the wires running parallel. The only issue with them was that the wires are tiny! Probably 22-24 gauge wires, which made it difficult to use quick splices for connectors.

Attachments

• hotsystem.JPG
    hotsystem.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Top Bottom