Need recommendations on back up camera

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
Amazon has tons of them. There are several threads on it as well last I searched. They are all about the same, depends on what angle you want, guide lines or not, and mounting location. Otherwise they are about the same - made in China.

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug

MarkW13

Very expensive! I ordered a camera and harness off of Amazon, and even with fabricating a bracket and payong the dealer $100 to activate the camera, I came in at roughly 1/8th the cost of the AEV camera.

http://www.amazon.com/Flush-Waterproof-Reverse-Backup-Camera/dp/B00B2ZD7OS

http://www.amazon.com/PAC-CHYRVD-Retention-Chrysler-2008-2012/dp/B0051XBNDY

Awesome solution. I hadnt seen too many options for cameras. I was not in love with aev's price, which is why i didnt get one yet. I'd rather put the money toward a better mod. I'll probably pick up both of these.

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
Awesome solution. I hadnt seen too many options for cameras. I was not in love with aev's price, which is why i didnt get one yet. I'd rather put the money toward a better mod. I'll probably pick up both of these.

Works great!

Attachments

• 1421817831392.jpg
    1421817831392.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 204
  • 1421817862778.jpg
    1421817862778.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 200
  • 1421817888821.jpg
    1421817888821.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 201
  • 1421817928231.jpg
    1421817928231.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 201

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
So you bought the two Amazon items and fabed up the bracket and it was plug and play with the factory head unit. No lockpick or similar?

Yup, just the two items and the bracket. Then a trip to the dealership to have them activate the camera input. I wanna say the dealer cost was roughly $100.

JAGS

Hooked
Yup, just the two items and the bracket. Then a trip to the dealership to have them activate the camera input. I wanna say the dealer cost was roughly $100.

Man, that's cool! What yr/model wrangler do you have and what nav system???

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
Man, that's cool! What yr/model wrangler do you have and what nav system???

2014 Rubi with the 430 Nav system.

With the exception of the bracket, it was basically plug and play. Just a few minutes to pop the dash to gain access to the connection.

If you were to just drill a hole in the bumper, the whole install would probably be less than a couple of hours including the drive to the dealership.

StrizzyChris

2014 Rubi with the 430 Nav system.

With the exception of the bracket, it was basically plug and play. Just a few minutes to pop the dash to gain access to the connection.

If you were to just drill a hole in the bumper, the whole install would probably be less than a couple of hours including the drive to the dealership.

It would be awesome if you did a mini write-up on this install. I am currious about the wiring that you did and where you connected it to the head-unit. Im pretty sure tons of the members(myself included) here would be greatly appreciative! :thumb:

JAGS

Hooked
It would be awesome if you did a mini write-up on this install. I am currious about the wiring that you did and where you connected it to the head-unit. Im pretty sure tons of the members(myself included) here would be greatly appreciative! :thumb:

Yup. Same here. I'm really interested to hear/see how it all connected and what instructions were needed at the dealer.

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
I had to use NAV TV to get the backup camera to work. Some say you have to go get your dealer to have the function enabled. I have never heard that you can simply splice and have a functioning camera....

I used a blank trailer hitch plate and a $20 Amazon made in China camera.

Top Bottom