Anyone ever paint your fenders ?

4x4Jesus

Caught the Bug
My factory fenders have gotten really faded and no amount of cleaners or back to black has worked to get them back to nice-looking. Now I was considering getting some plastic spray paint and painting them back to black and was wondering if anybody has ever tried it. Also wondering what everybody uses to keep their Evo skins and rock rails black thinking about spray painting them also.

Let me know any suggestions are appreciated👍

Hack12

I just painted all the plastic end caps and side trim on my XJ with Plasti-Dip the other day. They are made out of the same type of plastic that the JK fender flares are and they came out spectacular. Before I painted them they were so faded in some spots that they looked almost white. After painting them they truly look brand new. :yup:

If you've never used Plasti-Dip before just look up a couple videos on Youtube and you'll be amazed at how easy it is to use. :thumb:

Here are a couple shots of my plastics right after I finished Plasti-Dipping them. (The first pic is a 'before & after' shot of one of the front ends caps)

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1421796517.731232.jpg

IMG_2269.jpg

IMG_2268.jpg

IMG_2267.jpg

Last edited:

4x4Jesus

Caught the Bug
I have not tried that cleaner over lander I'll check out that thread to see where to get it.

This far as painting I wasn't going to do plasti dip just because I don't want that stuff to scratch and start peeling off, I'm talking about full on rustoleum but the stuff that's designed for plastic

Hack12

This far as painting I wasn't going to do plasti dip just because I don't want that stuff to scratch and start peeling off, I'm talking about full on rustoleum but the stuff that's designed for plastic

Gotcha. Completely understandable. I'm extremely happy with the finish that the dip provided and how easy and fast it was to prep/clean. If and when I do scratch one of the dipped pieces I'll only have to remove and re-dip that section, but I can understand the desire for something that will allow for faster touch-ups. While it's perfect for my XJ daily driver, it may not be the best solution for someone whose rig is off-road frequently.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Back in the day, a lot of TJ guys used to use Krylon Fusion. You do have to prep your fenders but the results looked pretty good. Best thing to keep your fenders nice is to garage your Jeep.

As far as the skins go, I just use armorall on them.

4x4Jesus

Caught the Bug
Back in the day, a lot of TJ guys used to use Krylon Fusion. You do have to prep your fenders but the results looked pretty good. Best thing to keep your fenders nice is to garage your Jeep.

As far as the skins go, I just use armorall on them.

I just might try painting them but maybe try that desolv it stuff first.
As far a garaging it goes that's out of the question since there's only room for one car and my wife has dibs on it!

Fridge81

Have you ever tried Forever Black? That stuff is awesome! It essentially dies the plastic black sooooo, you will want to be mindful of your paint. Hopefully this helps.

Kalums

I've never tried it on my Jeep and it is a little "redneck" however I did use the liquid black shoe polish on my 4trax fenders back in the day. Looked really good, lasted atleast 3-4 months and was cheap. What can I say we are all pretty creative when we are teenagers and consistently broke. :p

jeeeep

Hooked
I used Krylon on our swing set plastic fort and realized how well the paint has held up over the last 4 years.

I plan to paint my fenders and door parts that have faded. they also make a clear UV coat to use on top of the colors to offer more protection.

It does take 7 days to cure to a non-chip finish

JRied

I've seen ppl use a heat gun on faded black car parts and that gets it back to its original blackcolor. Just don't heat up 1 spot too long or it will warp or look streaky.

JAGS

Hooked
Try the stuff overlander posted up. I just used some this past weekend. Think fenders need one more scrub cleaning, but it's been one of the most effective so far.

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
My factory fenders have gotten really faded and no amount of cleaners or back to black has worked to get them back to nice-looking. Now I was considering getting some plastic spray paint and painting them back to black and was wondering if anybody has ever tried it. Also wondering what everybody uses to keep their Evo skins and rock rails black thinking about spray painting them also.

Let me know any suggestions are appreciated

the BEST is Aerospace 303 - will take the fade right out. Highly recommended.

SnailTrail

Aerospace is more of a UV protectant. Highly recommend it but I would use something like black wow or sonax plastic restorer gel to try and bring them back.

Top Bottom