Rust question. Need help / ideas

mackey

So I absolutely love living in North Idaho but I hate the salted roads. My Jeep's door hinge got chipped and is now totally rusted. My thoughts: remove doors and then hinges. Sand rust away. Prime and spray paint with the Mopar matching spray paint the dealership sells. Then spray a clear coat over that.

Would this work. Never done this before. I have zero experience in this area but don't want to pay an auto-body shop for something so small. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1422136179.325135.jpg

Any ideas, thoughts or experiences. Thanks in advance.

jeeeep

Hooked
So I absolutely love living in North Idaho but I hate the salted roads. My Jeep's door hinge got chipped and is now totally rusted. My thoughts: remove doors and then hinges. Sand rust away. Prime and spray paint with the Mopar matching spray paint the dealership sells. Then spray a clear coat over that.

Would this work. Never done this before. I have zero experience in this area but don't want to pay an auto-body shop for something so small. View attachment 120809

Any ideas, thoughts or experiences. Thanks in advance.
yes, it'll work, I'd hit them with some primer after sanding the rust off then paint.
duplicolor makes a pen with a rust removing tip, color match and clear coat for touch up, I've used it on my hood and latches works great.

mackey

Does the pen blend nicely? I thought it would be blotchy. Did you add a clear coat afterwards? Also any recommendations on what clear coat to use? Thanks

jeeeep

Hooked
Does the pen blend nicely? I thought it would be blotchy. Did you add a clear coat afterwards? Also any recommendations on what clear coat to use? Thanks

the paint is exact color code match so make sure you know your paint code, it's on the door jamb. the stick has the clearcoat with it which is fine for the small area. i picked mine up at o'reilly's

SaddleTramp

I got tired of touching up the chips (I know, I know it's a Jeep) on the hinges after each run.

I've got cut fenders so they're magnets for rocks thrown out of the tires, so I had some of that 3M paint protectant clear film put on the hinge pieces you posted up and no chips since.

Once you touch these up up, I'd get some of that film on there to save them down the road.

noroad

I got tired of touching up the chips (I know, I know it's a Jeep) on the hinges after each run.

I've got cut fenders so they're magnets for rocks thrown out of the tires, so I had some of that 3M paint protectant clear film put on the hinge pieces you posted up and no chips since.

Once you touch these up up, I'd get some of that film on there to save them down the road.

I used touch up paint to!!
Before touch up paint lol
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1400171611.164292.jpg
Aftrer lol hahahahaha
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1401707663.431404.jpg

SaddleTramp

Great idea about the film. Who did you have put it on?

I'm sure you can do it yourself, probably something you could get on Amazon. Have a buddy who owns a tint shop and they do it all the time so just had them do it. They just cut enough to cover the white (mines white too) painted pieces for the door and body halves.

Works great, just moves my needle a little more to the mall crawler side, LOL. I hated seeing that black undercoat/primer after each run.

RjSkippy

Living in Upstate NY I have the same issues with chips rusting. I have used the pens before and they work really well for small areas. I have also used color match rattle cans on my F-250 fenders for some larger areas (had issues because of humidity in summer when I applied them and had to re-do; wish I had a climate control garage! lol). As long as the area is clean and dry either option should work just fine to protect it and look good. I do like the film idea too - think I may give that a try as a preventive measure! :thumb:

Top Bottom