Found a Really Old Bottle of Jack Daniel's Green Label Whiskey?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
LOL!! So, Cindy and I were digging through some old boxes we had packed up from our last house, which was packed up from our house before that and packed up from our house before that and honestly, I can't even remember how far back it goes but in the process, we came across something pretty interesting - an old bottle of Jack Daniel's Green Label Sour Mash Whiskey!! Apparently, this bottle came from Cindy's parents house from way back when and looking at the old paper seal and label stating it was 90 Proof (something that hasn't been available in quite some time), we knew it had to be pretty old. In fact, the last date listed for winning a gold medal is 1954 and I know the next time they won one was in 1981. I tried doing a little research on this and haven't found too much yet but, from what I have found so far, this bottle was most likely a part of a gift set and was most likely sold back around 1968 or there about. Needless to say, this unopened bottle of Jack Daniel's Green Label Whiskey may be over 40 years old!!

Now, the reason why I'm posting this here is because I was hoping some of you whiskey connoisseurs might be able to shed a bit more light on what we really have. Here are some pics of it. :cool:

IMG_2899.jpg

IMG_2901.jpg

IMG_2903.jpg

IMG_2905.jpg

IMG_2907.jpg

dcbjk

Caught the Bug
Eddie,

I gotta say that is a very valuable bottle of whiskey you got there matter of fact Jack Daniels is my favorite whiskey to drink. I'm gonna try and dig up some research for ya as well and if I come up with anything I'll feel ya in :thumb:

That is definitely an amazing find don't ever open it if ya can help it haha keeps the value :thumb:

Skid_Kid

That is a find!!!! I would just put that on display and not touch it for another 40 years. But that is me. :thumb:

dcbjk

Caught the Bug
http://www.tennesseehistory.com/class/JD.htm

click CTRL+F Eddie and type green and you should see the difference between green label and black label whiskey also learn of the beginning of Jack Daniel himself.

http://jackdanielsbottles.com/family/green-label/

Here's some basic information on the green label whiskey according to the website it is still being made if understood it correctly

http://www.jackdaniels.com/faqs

Near the bottom of the website Eddie it explains about the taste of the whiskey

I hope this helps Eddie :thumb:
Once again congrats on the find :yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, so much great info. I should note that this is actually not a standard 4/5 size bottle but rather, an odd pint size. Also note, there is just a paper seal on top and no green plastic seal. The bottom has the Circle with the "I" in it. I'll have to do more research after the video has been posted up :crazyeyes:

Can you post a picture of the bottom of the bottle. There is a date stamp on there that will tell you when the bottle was made.

StrizzyChris

Your probably not..........:cheesy:

crazy_eyes.jpg

Panda

Nice find! a few years back a coworker found a bottle of jack in an old house we were working on, it was dated 1973, I thought the date was on that red tag on top but I could be wrong, we drank it on a camping trip it was very very good :yup:

Clem319

Excellent find Eddie. I don't know much about it, but remember my grandpa having an empty bottle of this green label displayed on his home bar. So it must've been delicious 👍

Top Bottom