E-Lockers

Jeep2010

Been debating on gearing and lockers. Been going back and forth between 4.88 and 4.56 gearing. I only have a 2.5" lift with 35" tires. But I've also heard of putting a locker in the rear only? Why would you do that?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Been debating on gearing and lockers. Been going back and forth between 4.88 and 4.56 gearing. I only have a 2.5" lift with 35" tires. But I've also heard of putting a locker in the rear only? Why would you do that?

Most of us have a d30 up front so locking the front with a small r&p can lead to it breaking easier. Some (like myself) will Lock the rear and leave the front open when planning for a new front axle like a prorock44 which will come locked.

TJ905

I have a 2014 JKU Sahara, I chose to buy and run 4.56 in my manual. After doing the research i found it to be the happy medium as I also spend alot of time on the highway. As far as locking only the rear, I would imagine thats a budget thing. If you could only afford to lock one I would do the rear. But thats just my 0.02.

I chose not to lock either, I know its cheaper to do while I have the gears done, but after gears, a full truss and armour as well as install. The budget just wasnt there. If i choose I need lockers, it would probably be done if I ever go PR44 or larger.

Jeep2010

I have a 2014 JKU Sahara, I chose to buy and run 4.56 in my manual. After doing the research i found it to be the happy medium as I also spend alot of time on the highway. As far as locking only the rear, I would imagine thats a budget thing. If you could only afford to lock one I would do the rear. But thats just my 0.02.

I chose not to lock either, I know its cheaper to do while I have the gears done, but after gears, a full truss and armour as well as install. The budget just wasnt there. If i choose I need lockers, it would probably be done if I ever go PR44 or larger.

Mine does a lot of highway as well. It's still my DD but off road as much as I can. Pretty soon I will make this my off road jeep. With 44 up front and 60 on the back and coil overs. The whole nine yards. I'm just trying to figure out the best medium for now. I'm just trying to find the perfect fit for my jk. You like the 4.56 gearing? I have a manual as well.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

If you can only afford to run one locker, putting it in the rear is the way to go for a couple of reasons. Number one, your rear will be doing a brunt of the work when climbing and a locker will help make it do it efficiently. Number two, IF you were to get something like an un-selectable locker, putting one up front will make driving on snow and ice dangerous. Number three, assuming you don't have a locker because you have a Dana 30 front axle, locking it up will put a lot of stress on your drive train components and that will increase the risk of a break.

jknikos

i Have the same drivetrain as you and with 35inch tires i am very happy with 4.56 gears. It would be too low for me with 4.88 at the highway. Off the pavement 4.88 would be great but i compromised i bit there. Dont get confused with the auto guys. 2007-2011 jk auto and manual are very different. For example a 3.8 auto with 35s should run 5.13 gears.
As for the lockers. I would run a rear selectable locker and this will make a huge different off road.:wings: But i wouldnt lock my front d30 :naw:

Last edited:

Tanner505

i Have the same drivetrain as you and with 35inch tires i am very happy with 4.56 gears. It would be too low for me with 4.88 at the highway. Off the pavement 4.88 would be great but i compromised i bit there. Dont get confused with the auto guys. 2007-2011 jk auto and manual are very different. For example a 3.8 auto with 35s should run 5.13 gears.
As for the lockers. I would run a rear selectable locker and this will make a huge different off road.:wings: But i wouldnt lock my front d30 :naw:

I just got 4.56s installed last Wedsnday and I love them so far I was debating going 4.88 but I currently run 35s and when those need to be replaced I plan on doing 37s and I may go 4.88 then

I just got 4.56s installed last Wedsnday and I love them so far I was debating going 4.88 but I currently run 35s and when those need to be replaced I plan on doing 37s and I may go 4.88 then

I am only going to regear once and knowing I will step up to 37's it will 5.13's with ARB lockers on the rear D44 and eventually a Rubi D44 or PR44 which ever one comes first at the right price.

JK LYF

Getting a Rubi 44 with 5:13 for front off a forum member. Called EVO, they are going to regear my rear axle with 5:13 and put air locker in. So, it look like same setup you're talking about.

Top Bottom