EVO Tire Carrier Rattle

2013blackrubicon

Recently I finished installing EVOs tire carrier on my JK. I know this carrier does not rattle but when I shake the carrier the pivot side Johnny joints move and rattle... Not sure what is causing this. Also I'm having some trouble getting the pins to slide into place easily, does anybody's pins easily go into place? Any tips on adjusting this monster?

SFNick

Recently I finished installing EVOs tire carrier on my JK. I know this carrier does not rattle but when I shake the carrier the pivot side Johnny joints move and rattle... Not sure what is causing this. Also I'm having some trouble getting the pins to slide into place easily, does anybody's pins easily go into place? Any tips on adjusting this monster?

Any pics? It takes a little while to get everything adjusted to the way you like it. Not sure why it would be rattling. I would make sure, when you have it set the way you like it, to tighten the pivot bolts down really good.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Well, now that just the kicker. You can adjust the tire carrier to not rattle but, getting the pins in will take more effort. Likewise, you can adjust it so that the pins go in with ease but then, you will most likely have a bit of rattle.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
i looked at the nuts and they were WAY to loose, must have rattled a bit loose or something.:doh: and yes i meant the latch side...

Turn the joint out or in a turn or two to your liking. It'll take out the rattle. It will make the pins a bit tighter to install

mallaki

Well, now that just the kicker. You can adjust the tire carrier to not rattle but, getting the pins in will take more effort. Likewise, you can adjust it so that the pins go in with ease but then, you will most likely have a bit of rattle.

Hello Everyone and happy Tuesday!!!!. I

My name is Peter and i have 2012 JKU and just the other day finished installing EVO tire carrier and the squeaking noise is driving me crazy... Is there anything similar to what we can see on front wheel of most bicycles but on larger/heavier scale. Such pin that then could be levered and lock Johnny Joints in EVO brackets. something like this but heavier:

http://www.niagaracycle.com/categor...m15KIN0NeAKmFKhsDUd2wfsTidp_mZV4O8aAmzK8P8HAQ

This would eliminate squeaking and rattling... IMG_4881.jpg IMG_4883.jpg IMG_4884.jpg IMG_4886.jpg

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Apply a dab of grease or spray a little WD40 to where the johnny joints sit in the bracket. That should take care of what you're hearing.

mallaki

Applied some grease and that took care of squeaking noise (at least for now...) Another thing that i don't like is there is too much play between the supplied pin, EVO bracket and Johnny Joins causing tire carrier bounce and making all sorts of noises when driving. I understand these pins are there for quick removal so tire carrier can be opened but the whole thing on driver side is just too loose in my book.

There got to be a better way to secure/clamp tire carrier/joints on driver side other than bolting them down same way passenger side is. I cant believe this only bothers me... Hoping to hear back on some alternative long term solution that will allow me to open up the tire carrier relatively fast without tools and still be able to clamp it down when closed.

Any ideas? Thanks all in advance!

---Peter

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Applied some grease and that took care of squeaking noise (at least for now...) Another thing that i don't like is there is too much play between the supplied pin, EVO bracket and Johnny Joins causing tire carrier bounce and making all sorts of noises when driving. I understand these pins are there for quick removal so tire carrier can be opened but the whole thing on driver side is just too loose in my book.

There got to be a better way to secure/clamp tire carrier/joints on driver side other than bolting them down same way passenger side is. I cant believe this only bothers me... Hoping to hear back on some alternative long term solution that will allow me to open up the tire carrier relatively fast without tools and still be able to clamp it down when closed.

---Peter

Thread the joint out a turn or two, it'll tighten up the pin. Don't forget to put your purse down first.

Last edited:

Ddays

Hooked

---Peter

You just play around with the adjustments as everyone says. Surprised yours makes noise. I haven't had a peep since I installed. maybe try these pins - I picked them up at Tractor Supply.

pins.jpg

mallaki

Screw the joint out a turn or two, it'll tighten up the pin. Don't forget to put your purse down first.

This is not a solution i am looking for. making it fit uneven its not a valid fix. As I mentioned before i am searching for something similar to what we see in bicycles front wheel (clamping the wheel) but on larger/heavier side: https://www.google.com/search?q=bic..._BhlWM:;ymB9TsLZg3z3iM:&imgrc=ZNbJ_jVo_BhlWM:

But with a swivel pin on the bottom so i can pull it up once unclamped.

swampdog

Ddays

Hooked
Really, Jesus, maybe try some of this

fairy dust.jpg

Its a tire carrier on a Jeep, not a bank vault door. Adjust the one of the ends a little further in than the other and that will cause it to tighten up on the pins.....

mallaki

no need to argue guys. This is today's problem with forums... Everyone wants to be heard even if they don't have anything valid to share. If you don't know the answer - its OK!!! - that does not make you dump... but answering without additional input to solve the problem + to have your 35 seconds of fame on Internet - this makes you stupid, but i guess some of us needs additional attention that failed to receive at home or work..

If you don't have anything constructive to add to my question - please don't waste everyone's time..

---Peter

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
This is not a solution i am looking for. making it fit uneven its not a valid fix. As I mentioned before i am searching for something similar to what we see in bicycles front wheel (clamping the wheel) but on larger/heavier side: https://www.google.com/search?q=bic..._BhlWM:;ymB9TsLZg3z3iM:&imgrc=ZNbJ_jVo_BhlWM:

But with a swivel pin on the bottom so i can pull it up once unclamped.

That's a nice idea but unless it were to have the same clamping force as the bolts on hinge side, I have a hard time thinking it'd prevent a 130-190 lb tire & wheel (plus inertia and gravity) from moving it around.

In spite of what you want to hear, the proper way to secure your tire carrier is to purposefully offset your joints so that they are slightly misaligned. This will create a tight fit and help mitigate any rattling.

Top Bottom