Wiring rock lights help

Jeep2010

So my buddy bought these rock lights and ended up selling his cherokee so he sold me the rock lights for 10 bucks. But it didn't come with any additional wire nor a rocker switch. My question is, what's the best way to wire the lights? Either to a switch in the cab, or to something else. Or is a sPod my best option. I'm truly lost with this one. I have a light bar that's ran to a switch in the cab and like that. What all will I need for this project? Thanks a lot wal fam.

Trembley

Well, I've never understood them being wired so close together.. I personally would split them and put them in locations that spread the lights all around the underside of the jeep as opposed to keeping them all together. You can pick up wire at autozone, simple red and black should suffice. You want to mount those up and out of the way, I personally like the body mounts as a mounting point. Just wire them in series and you should be good. Getting power to them..you can use an in cab switch, any carling type switch should be good and you can put it anywhere it will fit.

There are a few solid switch panel choices out there if you decide to go that route. I personally run a sPod and I like it alot, but there are other options out there that will function just as well and may cost less.

So to recap...

You need to decide if you are up to the task of wiring them, it can be a pain in the ass. Have you wired anything before?

you need to get some:
1) wire
2) a switch, or a switch panel...
3) Heat shrink to protect connections
4) decide if you are going to use connectors or solder all the joints, I prefer solder
5) plastic loom to protect your wires running around the underside of the jeep

Then
1)Decide where you want lights
2)Lay them out and decide how you want to route them
3)Starting cutting and soldering

However you decide to power them...then whalla rock lights...I have some pictures and a description of how I did it in my build thread in my signature.
Cheers

Jeep2010

Well, I've never understood them being wired so close together.. I personally would split them and put them in locations that spread the lights all around the underside of the jeep as opposed to keeping them all together. You can pick up wire at autozone, simple red and black should suffice. You want to mount those up and out of the way, I personally like the body mounts as a mounting point. Just wire them in series and you should be good. Getting power to them..you can use an in cab switch, any carling type switch should be good and you can put it anywhere it will fit.

There are a few solid switch panel choices out there if you decide to go that route. I personally run a sPod and I like it alot, but there are other options out there that will function just as well and may cost less.

So to recap...

You need to decide if you are up to the task of wiring them, it can be a pain in the ass. Have you wired anything before?

you need to get some:
1) wire
4) decide if you are going to use connectors or solder all the joints, I prefer solder

Then

However you decide to power them...then whalla rock lights...I have some pictures and a description of how I did it in my build thread in my signature.
Cheers

This is perfect!! Thank you.

Jeep2010

So to recap...

you need to get some:
1) wire

Then

Cheers

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1422761760.131942.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1422761796.113095.jpg
Thanks so much for your help!!!

RUBINOT

Caught the Bug
Rock lights look good, but i have to agree, the hood glare from the LED bar may be to much.

I have a question. When installing rock lights, how many do you put in each wheel well and where in the area for best results.

Last edited:

Jeep2010

Rock lights look good, but i have to agree, the hood glare from the LED bar may be to much.

I have a question. When installing rock lights, how many do you put in each wheel well and where in the area for best results.

I can't see the glare from the driver seat. But I had put one in each rear wheel well and two in the front wheel well. Just in the middle of the inner fender.

RUBINOT

Caught the Bug
Jeep2010

Thanks.......i was wondering about that glare in the pic. I'm getting ready to install some pillar LED spot lights.

Did you use the rock lights that use double side tape or ? .

Jeep2010

Jeep2010

Thanks.......i was wondering about that glare in the pic. I'm getting ready to install some pillar LED spot lights.

Did you use the rock lights that use double side tape or ? .

The ones I bought had an adhesive on the LED pod. But it also had holes on the side to screw them in. So on the ones I felt comfortable drilling holes into, I used the adhesive and then the screws to keep them places. And the glare that is on my hood is something I do not notice. My light bar goes across my hood and I can hardly see my hood other than the end of it. But my light bar is also just under 12,000 lumens. I have never had a problem driving with it (when I can drive with it on).

Top Bottom