Manual shifting

hbkid22

How many of you with 5.13s or above use 1st gear in 2wd to start anymore driving around town? Just got new gears and feel like there is no need for 1st in 2wd.

Also on another note. How often when you wheel do you use 4lo vs 4hi? I know for rock crawling you would use 4lo but just normal trails do you use 4hi? I had to always run 4lo because 3.21s and 4hi was horrible but now I have 5.13s curious if I need to always be on 4lo.

When I was still on 37's I used 2nd most of the time, but now that I'm on 40's it's a bit easier on the clutch to use 1st.

Davwashere

I always use 1st gear in 2wd and I'm on 37's, it will save you from wearing out your clutch faster. As for 4hi vs 4lo, that all depends on what's in front of you!

hbkid22

When I was still on 37's I used 2nd most of the time, but now that I'm on 40's it's a bit easier on the clutch to use 1st.

Yeah I am still on 35s. I have been using 2nd most of the time. I'll be on 37s in a year and then maybe I'll use 1st again but good to know. Thanks.

hbkid22

I always use 1st gear in 2wd and I'm on 37's, it will save you from wearing out your clutch faster. As for 4hi vs 4lo, that all depends on what's in front of you!

The 4hi and 4lo is true as to what you said but still curious. When I had 3.21s, 4hi was useless but now that I have 5.13s I am sure I can use 4hi again.

I have the same setup as you. When on the street in 2wd I will start in second every once in awhile. When on basic trails I will either just use 2wd unless 4wd is needed (I mostly do this because I have a auto front locker that engages when it's in 4wd). Whenever I'm going through water or crawling i keep it in 4lo.

hbkid22

I have the same setup as you. When on the street in 2wd I will start in second every once in awhile. When on basic trails I will either just use 2wd unless 4wd is needed (I mostly do this because I have a auto front locker that engages when it's in 4wd). Whenever I'm going through water or crawling i keep it in 4lo.

Like the gecko green! Love that color. You have any photos of your jeep?

Sc741

IMO, 4:88 are best with the manual. Starting in second gear didn't make any sense to me or having to shift twice in order to cross the street. 5:13's sucked to me as a street driven vehicle. Highway driving was horrible too with regards to RPM's. 4:88's brought me back to close to stock Rubi gear setup.

hbkid22

IMO, 4:88 are best with the manual. Starting in second gear didn't make any sense to me or having to shift twice in order to cross the street. 5:13's sucked to me as a street driven vehicle. Highway driving was horrible too with regards to RPM's. 4:88's brought me back to close to stock Rubi gear setup.

4.88s agreed to return the vehicle to stock but to run 37s, 4.88s wouldn't be enough for me. Yes I will be at higher rpms on the freeway but for my ultimate set up 4.88s are not enough as I want to be more than back to stock.

Sc741

Well I started with the gearing in a Rubicon and not 3:21. That is the difference. In that low of gearing yes, you are able to start in second gear. Depends on your terrain and purpose I guess on whether it is right for you.

4.88s agreed to return the vehicle to stock but to run 37s, 4.88s wouldn't be enough for me. Yes I will be at higher rpms on the freeway but for my ultimate set up 4.88s are not enough as I want to be more than back to stock.

hbkid22

I drove my jeep with 5.13's for the first time today and I tried second starts. I still like first better.

Yeah I don't know what I like yet. The rpms shoot up so quickly that I am only in 1st for 10 feet before shifting (over exaggerating but you get the point).

You running 37s tho?

hbkid22

Well I started with the gearing in a Rubicon and not 3:21. That is the difference. In that low of gearing yes, you are able to start in second gear. Depends on your terrain and purpose I guess on whether it is right for you.

That is true and I also live in Colorado so the mountains had a big factor in my decision and thought 4.88s were a bit low.

Top Bottom