Shock shaft broken!!!! What could be the reason?

simonkc

I have a JK 2012 2dr lifted 3 inches with Stage 2 Icon Vehicle Dynamics lift kit.
http://iconvehicledynamics.com/shop...jeep-jk-3-suspension-lift-system-stage-2.html

The shocks are ICON V.S. 2.0 Aluminum Series Remote Reservoir shocks. Jeep with this suspension has been running fine since last 15 months.
Last week I happened to peek under my jeep and was shocked to notice that the rear right shock shaft has broken. I don't know when and how it broke. It seems to have broken into two places. See pic attached.
I am trying to figure out the probable reason for this. I have some possible theories.

1) Incorrect installation of the lift kit.
2) shaft must have hit a rock when i was wheeling.
3) Shaft may have had some rust
4) Something wrong with my Jeep's suspension geometry...I am saying this because i had another shock shaft broken about 18 months ago..it was the same rear right shaft...but it was a different suspension kit with a different shock....just trying to correlate.
5) I have recently installed a cargo carrier on my hitch receiver which causes the rear of the jeep to be lower whenever i load some cargo in the carrier. Could this be putting undue pressure on the shock shaft and the suspension geometry? See pic attached of my cargo carrier.

Any comments/guesses will be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_2156.jpg
    IMG_2156.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_2134.jpg
    IMG_2134.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 243

MTG

Caught the Bug
If it was a Teraflex shock, I'd say installer error. But it looks like it's rusted through so I'm going to go with manufacturer defect. :yup:

Sc741

That is one nasty looking stock shaft. Why is the end so rusty? Has this been sitting for a while outside? Otherwise that shaft has been cracked or damaged a while ago. And yeah, that is a pretty clean break. Something not right with that shaft IMO.

RMC2

Caught the Bug
I would say you bottomed the shock for it to stay compressed like that. Then a good chance there was a bad spot in the shaft. It is hard to see on my ipad though.

CJW

Defect. A shaft of that size would have to take a hit you'd remember to break. I could see bending one and not noticing but not breaking one and not noticing. Did you contact Icon?

mrmike

That is a gas charged shock and therefore broken shaft or not the shaft should be extended. So there is damage inside. Seized piston or bent shaft causing it to stay in. Or it lost the nitro when damaged. Need to check if your shock was bottoming way before the physical bump stop.

simonkc

I contacted Icon and even though the shock has passed the warranty period, Icon was kind enough to ship me a brand new shaft.
Yes,,,the rust was not the reason for the shaft breaking...rust was formed after the breakage....its been about a month since the shaft broke...
took it to a local icon shop here....he says that the shaft broke due to bottoming out..seems the bumpstops were not of adequate height...getting that done now...hopefully shouldnt happen again.

Top Bottom