Was hit at 150 mph on the Autobahn

monstrousmac

Caught the Bug
I was traveling on the autobahn yesterday when I was rear ended by a Volkswagen traveling 150+ mph. He hit my bumper and then my tire. I do have to say my Poison Spyder bumper took a hell of a hit and all it did was chip some paint off. The bumper did not even bend. The Volkswagen is totaled. There seems to be no damage under the vehicle. I put it up on a lift.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 604
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 598
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 603
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 601
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 598
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 596
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 600

monstrousmac

Caught the Bug
Another picture of the car

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 610
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 611
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 610

monstrousmac

Caught the Bug
He also took out several metal road signs after hitting me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 594
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 591

JamesWyatt

They let Wranglers drive that road? Him at 150 and you at 70, that's like me driving 80 down the interstate around parked cars. Crazy. Glad you and your Jeep are ok.

jeeeep

Hooked
I had no idea a VW could go 150+ mph. Glad your ok!

the newer hybrid Jetta can supposedly do 180+mph but I would think it would need some tweaking to get it there.

I've seen cars lose it at 120mph on the Bonneville salt flats and when they lose control the cars don't fair well at all.

maybe the VW was doing 150kph?? I'm thinking with stock tires on that wet surface and he maintained control...also that's really minimal damage.

glad everyone was ok! :thumb:

Wardell

Wow, I'm glad to see you were ok. It looks like the Jeep is fine too, aside from the tire. Were you able to pop on the spare and go, or did you have it towed to a shop to get checked out first?

Also, the highway looks wet in those pics, and possibly icy. I'm guessing the other driver didn't slow down for the road conditions? 150 mph = over 240 km/h... that would have been very close to it's top speed, and that's suicide on slippery pavement.

Edit: the top speed for a Jetta that I'm seeing quoted is in the 120 to 125 mph / 193 to 201 kmh range. I assumed it was a Golf at first... apparently those can go just over 155 mph. At any rate, the important part is that that guy was going way too fast... and that your Jeep took the hit and kept you safe!

Last edited:

monstrousmac

Caught the Bug
There is no speed limit on the A60. Plus it was on the autobahn, the car belonged to the dealership they were testing it out. German cars are very different to american spec ones.

David1tontj

Crazy! Looks like it wasn't too bad because he just barely glanced off your rig. I bet if he was another 12-18 inches left, it would have been a lot worse!

Glad you're okay!

frenchjk

Caught the Bug
you are very lucky, two times in fact once for accident twice for the insurance, because he could hit you with a non conformity to TUV. (I guy did that to me once in Germany I really hate them for their "uber rechtsdurchsetzung")

keeping my fingers crossed for you.

PS that must of been 150+ KPH with full headlights on meaning : move over i'm bearing down at high speed (typical turd move)....:doh:

Wardell

monstrousmac said he was going 70 mph (112 km/h) which is very slow for the autobahn (like he said, no speed limit), and there doesn't appear to me much traffic in the pics(assuming it hasn't been diverted due to the accident). I'm guessing he was actually keeping to the right, and the guy in the VW lost control due to speed and road conditions, not trying to pass on the wrong side.

Top Bottom