PSC Delphi Steering Box Leak

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, with Moby out with a temp sensor issues, we had been driving Rubicat in his place or at least, up until I noticed this about a week ago.

IMG_0153.jpg

At first, I thought it was gear oil coming from the diff but after cleaning things up, the drips came back with a vengeance and not anywhere close to the diff. Also, the smell wasn't right and that's when I realized it was power steering fluid leaking from somewhere around the steering box. So, I cleaned things up again and parked it until I could find some time to work on it. Well, I finally found some time this morning and finally tracked it down to the where the snout bolts up to the steering box.

IMG_0161.jpg

As you can see, even without me running the motor, it's been leaking good and of course, with the motor on, it's pretty bad. Checking the reservoir of which I just filled up not too long ago, I found it to be quite low again.

So, here's the thing, I know it's just got to be a bad o-ring but with everyone at KOH, I seriously doubt that I'll be able to get a seal rebuild kit from PSC anytime soon. Have any of you ever had a Delphi box ported for a PSC develop a leak here and if so, were you able to replace it without having to pull the whole box? It's looking real tight especially being that we have a DTD tower in the way. Also, if you have replaced the o-ring, can you tell me about how big it was? If I can find one locally, I might try to do that.

What is the part number for the repack kit? PSC is here in Fort Worth and I will roll down there and pick up your repack kit and overnight it to you.

R/
Will

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What is the part number for the repack kit? PSC is here in Fort Worth and I will roll down there and pick up your repack kit and overnight it to you.

R/
Will

I wish I knew. I called them up and was told they would get back to me. Said everyone was out or heading out (I'm guessing to KOH) and I haven't heard back from them.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So basically you need a PSC Delphi Steering box re-pack kit?

Honestly, I'm not even 100% sure. I just told the guy there that I had a leak where the steering box and the back portion of it, the part where the steering shaft gets attached to. He referred to it as the "snout". I asked if there was an O-ring for it that I could get and he said there was but that he would have to get back to me on it.

Honestly, I'm not even 100% sure. I just told the guy there that I had a leak where the steering box and the back portion of it, the part where the steering shaft gets attached to. He referred to it as the "snout". I asked if there was an O-ring for it that I could get and he said there was but that he would have to get back to me on it.

Check your email.

jeeeep

Hooked
They shut down during lunch and in my experience it usually takes them closer to end of day to return calls.
I've had better luck using the webchat feature on the site.

They shut down during lunch and in my experience it usually takes them closer to end of day to return calls.
I've had better luck using the webchat feature on the site.

I tried the chat but it did not work for me. I called and was able to speak directly to a live person who referred me to their Aziel store.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I have to say that it really sucks that PSC never called me back like they said they would. Kinda leaves a bad taste but, thanks to Will, I might be able to still get what I need. Unfortunately, I still won't have enough time to get this fixed in time for KOH. So, I guess Rubicat is out and I'll either have to get Moby or Plan-C fixed by today.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Well, I have to say that it really sucks that PSC never called me back like they said they would. Kinda leaves a bad taste but, thanks to Will, I might be able to still get what I need. Unfortunately, I still won't have enough time to get this fixed in time for KOH. So, I guess Rubicat is out and I'll either have to get Moby or Plan-C fixed by today.

I can hear Rusty cryin' out in the shop. He wants to go. Best of luck.:D

Okay, with Moby out with a temp sensor issues, we had been driving Rubicat in his place or at least, up until I noticed this about a week ago.

View attachment 122314

At first, I thought it was gear oil coming from the diff but after cleaning things up, the drips came back with a vengeance and not anywhere close to the diff. Also, the smell wasn't right and that's when I realized it was power steering fluid leaking from somewhere around the steering box. So, I cleaned things up again and parked it until I could find some time to work on it. Well, I finally found some time this morning and finally tracked it down to the where the snout bolts up to the steering box.

View attachment 122315

As you can see, even without me running the motor, it's been leaking good and of course, with the motor on, it's pretty bad. Checking the reservoir of which I just filled up not too long ago, I found it to be quite low again.

So, here's the thing, I know it's just got to be a bad o-ring but with everyone at KOH, I seriously doubt that I'll be able to get a seal rebuild kit from PSC anytime soon. Have any of you ever had a Delphi box ported for a PSC develop a leak here and if so, were you able to replace it without having to pull the whole box? It's looking real tight especially being that we have a DTD tower in the way. Also, if you have replaced the o-ring, can you tell me about how big it was? If I can find one locally, I might try to do that.

Yes it's just 1 oring
And no you cant do it in the jeep

SaddleTramp

Mine never leaked but I did start to get some lateral movement in my sector shaft after only 10k miles.

I could see the sheer movement of the shaft while the wheel was turned back and forth and had a lot of play (more than usual) running down the road.

Good luck getting it all sealed up and back on the road.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So get this, being that I never heard back from PSC, CanvasJK was kind enough to help get the new o-ring that I needed and shipped to me. When I got back home, I found a UPS package with the seal and so all was good. While I was gone at KOH last week, I had our mail stopped and had it resume today and, what would I find in the mail but a package from CanvasJK. I guess PSC decided to be nice and just send out the new o-ring to me and so now I have a spare. :crazyeyes:

Anyway, PSC rocks and so does CanvasJK :rock:

Top Bottom