Expensive stereo system upgrade?

UpsideUp

Does anybody feel it's worth spending over a $1k to upgrade the JK stereo system?
Not being an audiophile I am thinking I can get better sound for significantly less, but as most of us on this site feel "do it right the first time" part of me says you get what you pay for?
I have to say I border line hate the muffled, white noise that comes out of the stereo when listening to my favorite music. And then you take the top off....!
What's your thoughts? Cheap fixes (kicker upgrade), midrange improvement ($500 ideas), or go big with JL Audio fronts, tweets, roll bar speakers, amp, processer, and bass?
Just not sure what to do. Poor music stage of jeep, top is off during summer (theft), and of course financial debt are all concerns of course. LoL

Good question. I'm waiting on replies for this one as well. I upgraded my receiver but left it at that for the time being. I'm focusing on the crawl aspect of my rig right now.

Bullwinckle

Hooked
No... I think the money can be spent else where... The only thing I would change is my actual radio to a GPS/radio since mine didn't come with one but even then that's last on my list...

Speeddmn

I would spend the money on new speakers and a head unit with gps. Other than that the 'top' of the line factory system i have is decent at best. Id also look at weather resistance speakers for the just in case.

As for huge amps/subs etc, not worth the hassle, cost, space it will consume.

BlackHawk08jk

A striped down jeep screams steal my aftermarket stereo if you ask me. I thought about it but mine spends like 7 months of the year striped down so I know the stereo and components would walk away.

BCjku

for what its worth..

I did a "moderate" upgrade to my stereo with amps, speakers, wiring and a new face. To answer your question, it probably comes down to your list of priorities. For me, I had to do something, The speakers in the roll bar were shot after a good mud dousing and my deck was shorting in and out, so I had to do something.. i put Marine grade speakers in everywhere and tried to seal them per a posting on here. I got lots of great info off of this forum to do so, I put in a kenwood deck and a couple of alpine amps tucked under the steering column. I have had a few minor issues with the amps but all in all I am happy i did it. Its an improvement over stock and sure beats not having any music. To other people's point, I do worry about the deck getting stolen, the rest, not so much, its all well hidden and factory looking. So there is my two cents.. :twocents:

NO

I have several Jeep buds that have spent that kind of coin and more on "better" systems. IMHO they sound exactly like mine does when naked and cruising (can't hear anything over the wind and tire noise.)

Also two of them fried after being caught in a shower.

"The stocker is a rocker" :rock::rock::rock:

Jackal01

I have the base model sound system. I just "upgraded" the roll bar with the Kicker/Mopar ones and added polyfill...I think it sounds worse. Then I added some "nice" Alpine's in the front along with matching tweeters, along with polyfill in the boxes and the sound is worse. I assume because the head unit is not putting out enough power. Highs and mids are good but the bass is just lacking...barely even there. The only other upgrade might be the head unit but I fear it being stolen when topless; perhaps just adding an amp? I don't know. :hmm:

Calys003

If you replace the system just get marine grade equipment. JL audio has some good stuff in that category if your worried about getting caught in a down poor. It's all about your priorities for your jeep. The stereo is low on my list even know I'm in the audio/video business. When I plan on my stereo it will be a few grand that's why I'm holding out

Ah2014jk

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1423057963.168956.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1423057995.081792.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1423058029.517738.jpg

That's mine in a 2dr. 1/2 the box open up as storage and it only takes the same amount of space as my rear seat did folded up. Kept the stock head unit and speakers. It does sound way better ( pictures were taken when building its all closed in now )

MTG

Caught the Bug
I say it's worth it, but only if you also install 24"+ wheels. :yup:

Then again, I'm all about that base. ;)

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
This is completely subjective so I don't really understand why anyone would ask it. To each his or her own.

dirtlimo

If you're going to be in the Jeep for large portions of time, I can understand upgrading it. I put in some Focal's and an Alpine amp to "help" it some. I certainly understand putting some bills to this more than "excessive daytime illumination" devices :beer:

JKU EXTREME

Expensive, hell no. But I found some Sony marine speakers that are 300 watts a piece and all four are $200, so that's what I'm going to get. Amazon.

toxicwaste29

I was going to upgrade mine to one with GPS but compare the 1k price to only a $200 GPS for the windshield and its not worth it. I have installed marine grade stereos in some other stuff that gets wet and they do last long but eventually the moisture does get into them and they quite working.

UpsideUp

Thanks for all the replies guys. This is what I was looking for. People who have experienced several different upgraded systems and whether they thought it was a noticeable difference or not.
I have seen build threads on the Kicker upgrade and those people think it's about the best/cheapest upgrade you can do to squeeze what little crappy sound out of it. But others spend big dollars and claim it's worth the price.
As we spend all of our money on upgrading suspensions, lighting, etc that we might use several hours a day on any given weekend, the one thing that I personally use every minute I'm in the Jeep is the stereo and it seems like the most neglected upgrade. Driving 4 hours each way to play on the trails, to and from work every day, wrenching on the Jeep, or driving to the store the stereo is always on.
That is my motivation to ask the question I guess.

Top Bottom