Nitto Trail Grappler Discussion Thread

Rccrwlr

Looked back to 2012 for a general thread about these tires and couldn't find something to ask questions about these tires. Found a few specific question threads. Thought I would start one.

First thread question. Specs for a 35"x12.5" r17 call out for min of 8.5" wide wheel. I know I have seen members on here mount these on factory wheels and they are 7.5". What is the deal getting these mounted on a factory wheel?

Post up pics of 35"x12.5" r17 TG on factory wheels if you have any.

07JKSahara

I'll start, you saw mine. 35s on stock wheel. Fit fine with 1.5" spacers. No rubbing steering lock to steering lock, but I found out mine rub the fender at full flex in the back. I did it on purpose to test, but I'm still going to trim the fenders.

I run them at 22 street and 10 aired down. I went as low as 8, but got pretty nervous. Anyway, the biggest downside I've seen is that they are hard to get to wear even with that thin of a rim. Pics...

Vs rubi BFG..
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1423026093.596971.jpg
Poser flex
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1423026149.061179.jpg
~3.25 lift
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1423026179.203945.jpg
Can see a little flex in the sidewall, that's about 14psi
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1423026293.819557.jpg

Overall I love them, quieter than my BFGS and work great for the type of wheeling I do...

EDIT: forgot you asked about mounting. Big O did mine, they asked first, I said it can be done and they proceeded.

Last edited:
I ran them for awhile on mine on the stock rubi wheels. Same as above with 1.5 wheel spacers. Only place I rubbed was my rock rails. Mine wore pretty good and didn't really notice anything off. I aired mine down to 8 all the time and never had an issue. Any specifics you are looking for?

ClarksAdventures

Looked back to 2012 for a general thread about these tires and couldn't find something to ask questions about these tires. Found a few specific question threads. Thought I would start one.

First thread question. Specs for a 35"x12.5" r17 call out for min of 8.5" wide wheel. I know I have seen members on here mount these on factory wheels and they are 7.5". What is the deal getting these mounted on a factory wheel?

Post up pics of 35"x12.5" r17 TG on factory wheels if you have any.

I had your same question. When I asked Americas tire for a 35" grappler, they said the 35x12.5 would not fit on my stock wheels. However he suggested a 315/70r17 instead, which is 34.5x12.4. It seems like a small difference and I'm wondering how much it actually matters.

I'm still going to run 1.5" spacers as a lot of the guys on here recommend and says it's pretty necessary to prevent a lot of rubbing.

Skid_Kid

I had your same question. When I asked Americas tire for a 35" grappler, they said the 35x12.5 would not fit on my stock wheels. However he suggested a 315/70r17 instead, which is 34.5x12.4. It seems like a small difference and I'm wondering how much it actually matters.

I'm still going to run 1.5" spacers as a lot of the guys on here recommend and says it's pretty necessary to prevent a lot of rubbing.

1376235045738.jpg
StrizzyChris did not have an issue......

Rccrwlr

I ran them for awhile on mine on the stock rubi wheels. Same as above with 1.5 wheel spacers. Only place I rubbed was my rock rails. Mine wore pretty good and didn't really notice anything off. I aired mine down to 8 all the time and never had an issue. Any specifics you are looking for?

Ya I'm really just concerned about buying them and not being able to get them mounted on the factory wheels.

Rccrwlr

I'll start, you saw mine. 35s on stock wheel. Fit fine with 1.5" spacers. No rubbing steering lock to steering lock, but I found out mine rub the fender at full flex in the back. I did it on purpose to test, but I'm still going to trim the fenders.

I run them at 22 street and 10 aired down. I went as low as 8, but got pretty nervous. Anyway, the biggest downside I've seen is that they are hard to get to wear even with that thin of a rim. Pics...

Vs rubi BFG..
View attachment 122674
Poser flex
View attachment 122676
~3.25 lift
View attachment 122677
Can see a little flex in the sidewall, that's about 14psi
View attachment 122679

Overall I love them, quieter than my BFGS and work great for the type of wheeling I do...

EDIT: forgot you asked about mounting. Big O did mine, they asked first, I said it can be done and they proceeded.

This is the setup I was looking for. Thanks 07. I guess I will call around. Just thought I would give AT/DT a chance as they are a sponsor here.

Ya I'm really just concerned about buying them and not being able to get them mounted on the factory wheels.

Discount tire did mine. They weren't happy about it but did it. They tried every line there was to not do it. It's actually better for airing down chances of not blowing a bead is greater because of the narrower wheel.

Skid_Kid

This is the setup I was looking for. Thanks 07. I guess I will call around. Just thought I would give AT/DT a chance as they are a sponsor here.

Well seeing it has only been 53 minutes since you posted, it is KOH week, I would maybe think they might be busy and not on the forum the very minute.........

ClarksAdventures

Between a 35 and a 317?

Yup... I'll be getting them through Americas tire. But I'll order them via phone so I can take advantage of the Wayalife discount. I'd just hate to order the 35x12.5 and have them refuse to put them on the factory wheel because of "safety reasons", and then have to try exchange for the 315's

Yup... I'll be getting them through Americas tire. But I'll order them via phone so I can take advantage of the Wayalife discount. I'd just hate to order the 35x12.5 and have them refuse to put them on the factory wheel because of "safety reasons", and then have to try exchange for the 315's

Just go in and talk to them. I'm sure they will be cool with it. :thumb:

bkac

Caught the Bug
Am I going to notice any wear/performance/ or road manners between the two sizes? I couldn't imagine I would.

They are so close in size! You shouldn't notice any difference, more difference in tire choice and weigh of tire you choose vs size.

Rccrwlr

Well seeing it has only been 53 minutes since you posted, it is KOH week, I would maybe think they might be busy and not on the forum the very minute.........

Was talking about me stopping by their shop today. I didn't expect an immediate response. Cha!

07JKSahara

Np, I'd be glad to take some pics underneath if you want. Rear clears the sway bar links and control arms well.

Top Bottom