Need Help With a Few Problems

haboo1968

2008 jku wrangler x stock auto tran. Bought new 110k miles

Looking for help and advice on a few issues I'm having.

1st.. Red security light blinks on for a few seconds while driving. I don't have the alarm system, just the sentry key security. Its been doing this for about one month now. I have no clue. Google it, seem there are others with the same problem with no resolution. Any ideals?

2nd.. Transmission cooling lines leaking at the crimped ends (where the rubber meets the metal tube). Seen a video on how to repair by cutting of the crimped ends and replacing hose and using hoes clamps. Would this void or have anything to do with the lifetime powertrain warranty? Also I'm looking into putting in an additional cooler. I've got the hot oil light come on a few times.

3rd.. The dreaded death wobble. It seem to be starting around 56 mph starting from the right side. Did a lot of reading on this. Track bar looks good. What seems to be my issue is the drag link clunky feel (inner) by the wheel joint. Also I notice when checking the ball joints, their is like about 1/16" vertical play in the upper and lower... horizontal looks good. Should they be replaced also? I was thinking rotating the tires to see if their is also a balancing issue with the right front tire.
thanks in advance for any tips/suggestions

jkuone

Not sure about the flashing light , I've seen many others post about it though.
I thought the factory warranty was extended on the tranny oil lines, might call
Your local dealership on that. But I've also heard that the replacements leak in the same
Place after a while. With that many miles on the jeep it's prob time for new ball joints
And tie rod ends and drag link joints, especially if there the originals

haboo1968

Update:

Ok I rotated the front tires to the rear to see if tires was out of wack .... been using spare key for red alarm light .... its been two days and so far so good.
I'm going to give it a few more days to see if that was the issue on the DW. As far as oil line goes, I definitely not going with the same junk lines.

srosario

Congrats, I bought mines with 100k miles on it too about 3 months ago, but haven't had that light or leak prob, but definitely had to replaced ball joints, Drag link flip, track bar relocation, sway bar links. Because of the DEATH WOBBLE
Make sure you verify everything in the undercarriage is torque to spec.

jeeeep

Hooked
2008 jku wrangler x stock auto tran. Bought new 110k miles

Looking for help and advice on a few issues I'm having.

1st.. Red security light blinks on for a few seconds while driving. I don't have the alarm system, just the sentry key security. Its been doing this for about one month now. I have no clue. Google it, seem there are others with the same problem with no resolution. Any ideals?

2nd.. Transmission cooling lines leaking at the crimped ends (where the rubber meets the metal tube). Seen a video on how to repair by cutting of the crimped ends and replacing hose and using hoes clamps. Would this void or have anything to do with the lifetime powertrain warranty? Also I'm looking into putting in an additional cooler. I've got the hot oil light come on a few times.

3rd.. The dreaded death wobble. It seem to be starting around 56 mph starting from the right side. Did a lot of reading on this. Track bar looks good. What seems to be my issue is the drag link clunky feel (inner) by the wheel joint. Also I notice when checking the ball joints, their is like about 1/16" vertical play in the upper and lower... horizontal looks good. Should they be replaced also? I was thinking rotating the tires to see if their is also a balancing issue with the right front tire.

1. there is a process where you can reflash the key to the system as long as you have a good key. you may also try replacing the battery on the key

2. if you have a lifetime powertrain warranty I'd take it to the dealer, if you replace or alter them you have voided the warranty. if the originals lasted this long replacements should do just as well and keep the warranty intact.

3. sounds like time to replace ball joints and drag link. also check your bearing hub.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Sorry, wish I could help with this one but I believe it's something you'll need to have your dealership address with a scan tool.

You may want to check with your dealership about this as I'm pretty sure there was a TSB issued for it a while back. It should be covered under warranty. If you're getting the hot oil light coming on, you really need to be turning off your over drive and shifting into a 2 or 1 when climbing.

So, are you saying that your Jeep starts shaking so violently at 56 MPH that you have to come to about a complete stop to make it stop? OR, are you saying that you have a bad shimmy in the steering wheel at that speed? If the later, you DO NOT have death wobble and you most likely have a wheel that isn't balanced well.

haboo1968

1. there is a process where you can reflash the key to the system as long as you have a good key. you may also try replacing the battery on the key

Using spare key did not fix. Thank You for the tip, I'll have to give the key flash thing a try. My key does not have a battery. Also I have no alarm system, or power door locks. The main reason I wanted as few electrical items as possible is it avoid issues like this. Seems to be alote of others having the same issue with the sentry and tmps lights coming on at random times. (Pressure in all tires are gtg)

2. if you have a lifetime powertrain warranty I'd take it to the dealer, if you replace or alter them you have voided the warranty. if the originals lasted this long replacements should do just as well and keep the warranty intact.

Well I called the dealer and they told me they sent a letter last year about bringing in the jeep for an inspection, and since I did not, it is no longer covered. (WHAT LETTER!!!) What a joke. Anyhow I'm going to just cut off the crimps and replace with new hose and bands. Also going to install a B&M cooler #70268.

3. sounds like time to replace ball joints and drag link. also check your bearing hub.

Turns out it was just the tires needed balanced...(could of fooled me, with how hard the jeep would shake). Any how I,m going to start replacing ball joints, tie rode, drag link...that kind of stuff after I get the light issue fixed.

BlackHat

Bumping this to the top.
I have 07 JKU 130,000 miles.

I'm getting the security light to flash or stay solid when driving down the road.

I notice mostly on longer drives and going up hills in the mountains.

Even got it to flash and stay solid in the garage after getting home from work one time I have a video even.
It seems to have no driving issues when this happens but it is annoying seeing it flash or solid.

Anyone have a fix or somewhere to start looking into this problem?

CandAMudders

There was a recall in the States for those transmission lines as I used that reference when I took it into my dealer up here in Canada. It is a simple fix though. No leaking with the new hoses (two years now).

Top Bottom