WAYALIFE.com - Rock Hard 4x4 Open Tech / Install / Support Line

WAL,
I thought it'd be a good idea to have a "one stop forum shop" for your Rock Hard 4x4 tech, installation, and 'how-the-h..' questions.

I'll check this thread as often as you need to make sure you get your questions answered. Whether it's a pre-purchase tech question, in the middle of install question, or super far down the road warranty question - let's consolidate it all right here.

Quick highlights that may help answer your question before you even ask:

Installation Instructions:
We've rewritten all of our instructions plus shot videos on how to install many of our most popular products.
Click this link to get access for free download >>INSTRUCTIONS / VIDEO<<

Lifetime Warranty Questions:
Rock Hard 4x4 has a lifetime product warranty on all products we manufacture - except powder coat. Pretty much no questions asked unless it's a good story and I want to hear all about it!

Jeep YouTube Install Playlist:
www.youtube.com/c/rockhard4x4

Last edited:
Does a Rock Hard 4x4 Full Width Bumper really clear a 40" tire?

Tech Question PM just came in from a member here and it's a common enough question that I thought I should post the answer:

Hey Jason,

I'm extremely torn between picking your stubby and full width. My main concern is rubbing issues with front tires on a full width. One of my friends had to ditch another companies full width after 37s.

What is the max size without rubbing issues you can fit with your full width? Currently it won't be a problem for me but I'm going 35s the summer and may eventually go 37s in the future.

PS: A warn Xeon is sitting at my house waiting for my bumper choice....

Great question!

Short answer: no problem.

Long answer: All of our JK bumpers include long and short spacers that you install between the frame rails and the inside skin of our bumper. This short spacer is used in 99% of installs and is designed to help clear your power and ground winch cables so you can route them down behind our bumper and in front of your grille. The longer spacers are used for some import winches that need more clearance because of how their power and ground cables come out of the back of their control boxes. These spacers are also the reason you can clear massive tires. 38" tires clear no problem and to clear a 40" tire just install both our long and short spacers

Zeon winches: On our lowered winch bumpers you'll need to trim a small 1/4" tab off one of your frame horns (there's a picture on our site) and if you have a 2012+ or newer JK you'll need our RH-5011 vacuum pump relocation bracket and use the smaller nut that's included in our hardware pack. The smaller nut gives you room for the Zeon series and Powerplant winches in our lowered winch well.

Hope this explanation helps!

- Jason @ Rock Hard 4x4

mastrcruse

Oil Pan and Tranny Skid JKU

Looking to get the oil pan and tranny skid. I'm running an RK mid-arm and thinking about going long arm in the next year. Can I run the long arm skid with the short arm or would you recommend getting the short arm skid plate and trimming later?

I am also running and exhaust spacer. Am I going to face any issues with install?

Thanks!

Looking to get the oil pan and tranny skid. I'm running an RK mid-arm and thinking about going long arm in the next year. Can I run the long arm skid with the short arm or would you recommend getting the short arm skid plate and trimming later?

I am also running and exhaust spacer. Am I going to face any issues with install?

Thanks!
You MAY need an additional shim plate with our skid due to your exhaust spacer so when you put in your order just request it. They are no additional charge.

The only difference between the long and short arm skid plate is the catalytic converter skid plate, which is designed for the 3.8L crowd. I say when in doubt get the long arm version. Converting the skid plate to long arm in the future though is only a matter of trimming off the catalytic converter mounting tabs anyways. :beer:

A very common tech question - just shared this on Facebook as well.

"I read I have to remove my factory cross member to install your Rock Hard 4x4 Oil/Pan and Transmission Skid Plate. Is that true?"
Not true - on newer JK's there is a new "skid" that you must remove prior to installing our system. It does not get reused and is frankly about as flimsy as the factory evap canister skid plate.

10988952_801229753259954_1708206250897191932_o.png

Awesome Sport Cage tech question just came in - and we're surprised we had not posted it yet since it's so regular:

"Should the clamps be tightened until they touch?"

They can touch, but that's a sign they may not be tightened down evenly. Remember, we machine our caps and collars but cut them apart with a saw blade. That means you'll be missing the width of the saw blade, so after install you should have an even gap all the way around. Start with center bolts, bring together evenly, then tighten outside bolts.

1801388_802550986461164_1482934034637544818_o.jpg

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Well looks like I need to tighten mine down a little more then lol that's a good tip!

CCTX50

Discount code

Was about to order up a skid for my JK and was wondering if there was a discount code that could be used? Great products.

jeffj

Caught the Bug
A guy that answered phone from rock hard recommend this color, he recommended not to match it up to the body color which is black. I'm really glad I talked to him. Thanks for the great product and nice install video. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1424644276.807676.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1424644285.880259.jpg

bkac

Caught the Bug
Hey guys I'm installing my cage, everything is a little loose. I'm installing the overhead windshield bar, I have about 1/4" inch to go to get it tight against the factory side bars but it's already getting tight. Things are starting to make noise like popping sounds, is this normal? I threaded all the holes. Sounds like its pulling the windshield frame in. I have the bar mounted correctly and all the way forward. Any thoughts? Should I just crank it down?
Thanks in advance.

Hey guys I'm installing my cage, everything is a little loose. I'm installing the overhead windshield bar, I have about 1/4" inch to go to get it tight against the factory side bars but it's already getting tight. Things are starting to make noise like popping sounds, is this normal? I threaded all the holes. Sounds like its pulling the windshield frame in. I have the bar mounted correctly and all the way forward. Any thoughts? Should I just crank it down?
Thanks in advance.

I'm curious about this too because mine "rattles" at the A-pillar / windshield mount somewhere. I've tried to track it down and can't find it.

Interesting. Do either of you have soft top door surrounds that could be hitting our cage? If its a hard top remove the front panels on your tops and see if the noise persists.

Interesting. Do either of you have soft top door surrounds that could be hitting our cage? If its a hard top remove the front panels on your tops and see if the noise persists.

I run the trektop NX. I have about a 1/4" gap on the top surrounds to the collar. Would the cage "flex" that much? I have checked the collar and they are tight.

bkac

Caught the Bug

Can you reply to my post about the center bar? I'm trying to wrap up my install. Thanks

Thanks in advance.
Only thread when holes have been tapped and give each bolt a little spritz with WD40. Start with upper and lower center bolts and bring together evenly. Then tighten outer bolts, evenly, a little at a time. You should only be doing this step if the t-section is installed and is giving you the indication of the final install position of this overhead bar.
I run the trektop NX. I have about a 1/4" gap on the top surrounds to the collar. Would the cage "flex" that much? I have checked the collar and they are tight.
Tighten everything down and give everything a "side of your fist" test. Isolate the noise as best you can.
Can you reply to my post about the center bar? I'm trying to wrap up my install. Thanks
The factory cage is going to creak and groan as pressure has been applied to it like its never felt before.

bkac

Caught the Bug
Only thread when holes have been tapped and give each bolt a little spritz with WD40. Start with upper and lower center bolts and bring together evenly. Then tighten outer bolts, evenly, a little at a time. You should only be doing this step if the t-section is installed and is giving you the indication of the final install position of this overhead bar.

Tighten everything down and give everything a "side of your fist" test. Isolate the noise as best you can.

The factory cage is going to creak and groan as pressure has been applied to it like its never felt before.

I oiled and threaded everything before I started, it's not that the bolts won't go in its the fact its acting like it's pulling inwards to hard. If you say its ok in going to crank away. Just a bit scary when things start popping. Idk... Thanks for the reply!
:thumbup::thumbup:

bkac

Caught the Bug

Thanks for the reply! Love the cage!

Top Bottom