Telluride CO 2015

JeepJam

I'm planning a week in Telluride CO late July, early August. Looking for some Jeep trails that my stock 2012 JK unlimited can do.So far I have:

Day one: Black Bear Pass
Day two: Imogene Pass- Ophir Pass
Day Three: Alpine Loop
Day Four: 126 Miles to MOAB. Hell's Revenge... Day Trip

Does anyone think I need more than a stock JK to do these?

Jaydoc1

Stock will handle all the Colorado ones you have listed. You might drag a couple places on Hell's Revenge if you don't pick good lines. But stock should get you through there as well.

dillard09

I love it in Telluride area! I have family in Gunnison so try to get out that way a couple times a year with the jeep. Enjoy the view from black bear!
My grandfather - in - law has been going to Telluride since the late 50's. He know every trail around there. It's fun just to load up in the jeep and hit the trails and just listen to his stories!

Petzl88

I'm planning a week in Telluride CO late July, early August. Looking for some Jeep trails that my stock 2012 JK unlimited can do.So far I have:

Day one: Black Bear Pass
Day two: Imogene Pass- Ophir Pass
Day Three: Alpine Loop
Day Four: 126 Miles to MOAB. Hell's Revenge... Day Trip

Does anyone think I need more than a stock JK to do these?

I would do:

Day one: Ophir. Eat lunch in Telluride. Drink 2 beers. Imogene. Stay in Ouray. Drink 12 beers.
Day two: Black bear. drink beers.
Day three: Cinnamon. Eat BBQ in Lake City. Return to Silverton via Engineer.
Day four: head to Moab

Corkscrew and Hurricane are great too.

Jaydoc1

In Lake City you have to eat here:

image.jpg

As in Alfred Packer. Order the cannibal wings. They're four tasty pork shanks. Awesome.

Last edited:

Txjkjpr

If you haven't checked it out yet go to www.traildamage.com All the trails with descriptions and ratings are listed there. Pretty good write up on the trails with descriptions of the obstacles.

tpietzsch

Such a great place. I would recommend picking up these trail books. I found them helpful and the kids had fun calling out the tidbits of info with the mileage log.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1423673529.559777.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1423673548.304649.jpg

Jackal01

Corckscrew Gulch was a blast and Hurriane and Engineer were also fun. Engineer is a long one, it connects to Cinnamon (via Lake City) which is easy and drops you back into Animas Forks which can take you back the way you came to Ouray or head to Silverton.

Jackal01

I will add we did a San Juan mountain trip last summer (third time making the trip). We made base camp at a RV Park in Ouray and stayed in a cabin. Then did Ophir to Telluride one day. Another day did Engineer and Cinnamon; had lunch in Silverton. Another day did Corckscrew Gulch. Black Bear and Imogene were closed when we were there, though. We also went to Animas Forks, did some sight seeing so our times for the trails were rather slow. Engineer and Corkscrew have been my favorites so far.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
I will add we did a San Juan mountain trip last summer (third time making the trip). We made base camp at a RV Park in Ouray and stayed in a cabin. Then did Ophir to Telluride one day. Another day did Engineer and Cinnamon; had lunch in Silverton. Another day did Corckscrew Gulch. Black Bear and Imogene were closed when we were there, though. We also went to Animas Forks, did some sight seeing so our times for the trails were rather slow. Engineer and Corkscrew have been my favorites so far.

Engineer Pass is a good run into Lake City. There's an old stage stop and the site of Capitol City. The buildings were constructed of brick and was intended to be a future Capitol of Colorado. Couldn't find one brick at the site. Vandals got 'em all. The San Juans are the crown jewel of Colorado off road. Enjoy!!:yup:

Jackal01

Engineer Pass is a good run into Lake City. There's an old stage stop and the site of Capitol City. The buildings were constructed of brick and was intended to be a future Capitol of Colorado. Couldn't find one brick at the site. Vandals got 'em all. The San Juans are the crown jewel of Colorado off road. Enjoy!!:yup:

I enjoyed capitol city. I love checking out ghost towns and the like. If we didn't love Texas so much we would move to the San Juans for sure!

JeepJam

Thank you everyone for the tips and ideas. I'll have the wife and kids with me, so I can't get too radical. We love the San Juans as well. I'll make sure to check out the BBQ in Lake City. We visited Ouray and Telluride last summer in a rental jeep. Went home and bought a 2012 wrangler unlimited altitude edition. Now itching to get back. If anyone else can think of some cool places around Telluride, post here.:thumb:

dillard09

Finally got to take Pearl pass from Crested Butte over to Aspen last year. It was an interesting trail on the Aspen side due to off camber and water runoff. The wife got out and walked! Usually got snow year round. Beautiful!!not sure a stock jeep would make it but for those that have never been should go.

Attachments

• 1423703930656.jpg
    1423703930656.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 296
Last edited:

dillard09

One of my favorites in the Ouray area is Poughkeepsie gulch. It's got one part in the middle that's called the wall that would be tough for stock. Last time I was there was kinda a bypass that a stick jeep might be able to get up. If you have a winch there is winch anchors at the top to help. There is a little lake at the top that is awesome!

Attachments

• 1423704832483.jpg
    1423704832483.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 300

Jackal01

Old Hundred Mine and the mine /mill(forget the name, only one in town) north of Silverton are fun. The family would enjoy it if they like that kinda stuff. Also the Durango Silverton train is a blast. Neither are near Telluride but worth the drive via Ophir.

Remlap

One of my favorites in the Ouray area is Poughkeepsie gulch. It's got one part in the middle that's called the wall that would be tough for stock. Last time I was there was kinda a bypass that a stick jeep might be able to get up. If you have a winch there is winch anchors at the top to help. There is a little lake at the top that is awesome!

My family and I went over this last July 14'

Bypass was closed off with cable. We made it over the wall in our stock (at the time) JKUR with lockers on front and rear and sway bar disconnected.

I think he said he will have his wife and kids with him and not wanting anything too radical, don't know if this obstacle counts as that is a matter of opinion, but my wife and kids wouldn't go over it with me and all the FJ's before us were winching over it, FJ summit/rally was all over up there at the time.

My favorite trail too in the area as far as difficulty goes, nearly the whole thing was kind of sketchy for a stock vehicle. As for scenery we liked Imogene and Bolam passes the most.

If you can't make it over the obstacle on Poughkeepsie it is a long haul back down to Engineer Pass with pissed off kids and wife...

That lake is sweet though (Como Lake?), you can get to it from Corkscrew and Hurricane too (easy, scenic trails).

Top Bottom