Who Has A Poison Spyder Body Mounted Tire Carrier?

Kpalas

Hey guys, just wanted to know who has this tire carrier, and how much room is there between the tire and tailgate. I saw a Rotopax mount that attaches to the tailgate but I'm not sure if there is enough room.

Christarp

I would very much doubt there is any room between the tailgate and tire for a rotopax, just like the evo and genright. I'm guessing that's why they're already designed with rotopax mounts in mind ;)

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Just saw one this past weekend in person for the first time. There really isn't any room at all for rotopax inside the carrier by the tire. Sorry

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Ok, cool. Thanks for the verification.

If you don't have it yet it's a nice looking carrier and looks pretty sturdy. I'm not sure on the max tire size but I'm not sure I would feel comfortable running more that a 37 on it. The simple latch is nice but it don't think it's strong enough to help hold the carrier closed with that much weight.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Deff a nice carrier but no room behind the tire...which is why it has 2 built in spots to mount the rotopax. Very easy to open but I will agree with coz that I wouldn't run larger than a 37 on it.

Kpalas

If you don't have it yet it's a nice looking carrier and looks pretty sturdy. I'm not sure on the max tire size but I'm not sure I would feel comfortable running more that a 37 on it. The simple latch is nice but it don't think it's strong enough to help hold the carrier closed with that much weight.
it's already on order, been about a week now, and I'm running 40" so I guess we will find out!!😁

WillyJKU14

it's already on order, been about a week now, and I'm running 40" so I guess we will find out!!😁

So how is this carrier working for you? I am only running 35's but want the option to carry extra fuel and water. I am thinking about ordering it but just can't pull the trigger yet. Any pictures?

Kpalas

So how is this carrier working for you? I am only running 35's but want the option to carry extra fuel and water. I am thinking about ordering it but just can't pull the trigger yet. Any pictures?

So far so good. I also liked the rotopax mount, big reason why I went with this carrier. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1430601999.924733.jpg

Kpalas

Awesome! And no trouble with the small latch they used? Well it looks great. I think that's the route I'm gonna go. Did you pay to have it powder coated or diy?

So far the latch is ok. I adjusted it to fit very snug when closed and it seems pretty solid, however I haven't had a chance to take it on a challenging trail yet. It's lockable too, and I don't see how it could come unmatched once it's locked but again, we'll see. I had it powedercoated with a hammered finish.

WillyJKU14

So far the latch is ok. I adjusted it to fit very snug when closed and it seems pretty solid, however I haven't had a chance to take it on a challenging trail yet. It's lockable too, and I don't see how it could come unmatched once it's locked but again, we'll see. I had it powedercoated with a hammered finish.

Great thank you for all the input. Gonna go with it. I think it will do just fine for me!

Southpaw1746

Just curious. I know they suggest painting/powder coating after you have assembled it. I'm just wondering if you did same? Or did you powder coat it before assembly? I'm getting ready to order one and trying to see if powder coating it prior is worth trying?

Last edited:

Spudcannons

Just curious. I know they suggest painting/powder coating after you have assembled it. I'm just wondering if you did same? Or did you powder coat it before assembly? I'm getting ready to order one and trying to see if powder coating it prior is worth trying?

I just started installing mine, I would not coat or paint it first you will most likely scratch or damage the coating during the first run through when adjusting things to fit perfect. It's not cheap to powder coat and can be a pain if you dont have one close spend a little extra time getting everything perfect so you have no regrets.

Kpalas

Easy work but a bit time consuming, I'm about 1/2 way. plan on 8+ hours to install take apart and reassemble post finish.

Also, FYI, if you are running Poison Spyders crusher corners, you will need to trim out the opening around the hinges, because the supplied hinges for the tire carrier are big and need more clearance.

Top Bottom